and the Dems still harp on how bad the economy is

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
http://http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/International_Business/US_growth_at_33__in_Q2_of_2008/articleshow/3418467.cms

yes we may be experiencing a little slow down but last quarter's growth was equal to or better than any in slick willy's term. why aren't the dems saying this at the convention? oh yeah, in order to vote for a savior, you have to believe you need saving

if you listened to biden's speech last night, you would think that Americans have resorted to eating their pets because things are sooooooo bad.

i especially like the " i see houses with lights flickering" bit. pretty funny

hey.. if it's such bullshit then it won't fool ANYONE, right? And, if if resonates with middle America then.. well, i guess you are shit out of luck.

http://http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/International_Business/US_growth_at_33__in_Q2_of_2008/articleshow/3418467.cms

yes we may be experiencing a little slow down but last quarter's growth was equal to or better than any in slick willy's term. why aren't the dems saying this at the convention? oh yeah, in order to vote for a savior, you have to believe you need saving

if you listened to biden's speech last night, you would think that Americans have resorted to eating their pets because things are sooooooo bad.

The economic stimulus package is the only thing that saved Bush from a RECESSION.

And perfect timing. 4 months before the election, just in time to save him from a full blown recession.

Vote for McCain and gas will be $5 a gallon next year. And why not? According to the GOP, companies should be able to charge whatever they want.

And for your information, 90% probably worked during the great depression. You sure are lenient on Republicans for how bad the economy can get before you vote them out of office. You act like nothings wrong. Who's further from the truth? The guy that says the economy is great or the guy that says it is bad?

Heck, you voted against Clinton and he had a surplus. Can you explain that? Don't tell me he didn't have a surplus either, because compared to Bush, he did.

So if you don't really care about fiscal responsibility, why are you a Republican?

Lear just moved to Mexico. More good paying jobs going out of the country.

The economy is strong for the rich, not so strong for the middle class.

If you got $1000 tax break from Bush, you paid $4000 actually with inflation factored in.

Republicans always give you half the story.

The economic stimulus package is the only thing that saved Bush from a RECESSION.

And perfect timing. 4 months before the election, just in time to save him from a full blown recession.

and BHO says he wants another round of stimulus right after he's elected. GW had nothing to gain from the first stimulus BHO sounds like he's saying vote for me and I'll pay you

Vote for McCain and gas will be $5 a gallon next year. And why not? According to the GOP, companies should be able to charge whatever they want.

And you looked into your crystal ball and saw this??

And for your information, 90% probably worked during the great depression. You sure are lenient on Republicans for how bad the economy can get before you vote them out of office. You act like nothings wrong. Who's further from the truth? The guy that says the economy is great or the guy that says it is bad?

Hey BOO Boo check your facts According to the FDR Presidential Library and Museum:

http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/depres24.html#

At the height of the Depression in 1933, 24.9% of the total work force or 11,385,000 people, were unemployed. Although farmers themselves technically were not unemployed, drastic drops in farm commodity prices resulted in farmers losing their lands and homes to foreclosure.

But i am sure the 5.7% unemployment rate today is the same as the 24.9% of the depression if we use democrat math

Heck, you voted against Clinton and he had a surplus. Can you explain that? Don't tell me he didn't have a surplus either, because compared to Bush, he did.

are you sure I voted against Clinton. ?

So if you don't really care about fiscal responsibility, why are you a Republican?

I am not a republican you twit. how many times do I have to tell you that?

Lear just moved to Mexico. More good paying jobs going out of the country

Maybe just maybe the government makes it too expensive to keep manufacturing jobs in the US

The economy is strong for the rich, not so strong for the middle class.

I am the definition of middle class boo boo and I am doing just fine because right now my tax burden is lower than it was under Clinton

If you got $1000 tax break from Bush, you paid $4000 actually with inflation factored in.

numbers and links please, i don't think democrats are too good at math. See above for proof

Last edited:
some may find this an interesting read
Safe Haven | An Alternative Inflation Index

and the jobless rate is very misleading. the official definition:
"those who do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior four weeks, and are currently available for work"
naked capitalism: Unemployment Stats Attracting More Skeptics
The Bayesian Heresy: Whats the "true" unemployment rate?

employment numbers are a more accurate reflection of the economy, and they arent good.
Labor Market Dives: Latest Employment Numbers Are Alarming

So If I get your point Skull pilot, you're tooting the Republican horn becuase we don't have 24% unemployment?

Hey, good work!

I'm sure we're all impressed.

Meanwhile, back to American's everyday reality, things suck for many of us, and are scaring the bejeus out of most of us and everything's coming up roses for about 10% of us.

So from a Republican standpoint, I guess, that's damned good work.

and BHO says he wants another round of stimulus right after he's elected. GW had nothing to gain from the first stimulus BHO sounds like he's saying vote for me and I'll pay you

And you looked into your crystal ball and saw this??

Hey BOO Boo check your facts According to the FDR Presidential Library and Museum:

The Great Depression Frequently Asked Questions

At the height of the Depression in 1933, 24.9% of the total work force or 11,385,000 people, were unemployed. Although farmers themselves technically were not unemployed, drastic drops in farm commodity prices resulted in farmers losing their lands and homes to foreclosure.

But i am sure the 5.7% unemployment rate today is the same as the 24.9% of the depression if we use democrat math

are you sure I voted against Clinton. ?

I am not a republican you twit. how many times do I have to tell you that?

Maybe just maybe the government makes it too expensive to keep manufacturing jobs in the US

I am the definition of middle class boo boo and I am doing just fine because right now my tax burden is lower than it was under Clinton

numbers and links please, i don't think democrats are too good at math. See above for proof

You didn't agree with anything I said. boy, no wonder this country is so divided. why would I go thru all the trouble when you don't get it? I would have to start with the alphabet. That's how far behind you are. So continuing on with you would be insane. Doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results.

I just told you why you are wrong. For what its worth.

I just want ppl to know why you are wrong. If you get it too, that's just bonus.

It'll be pretty funny if the Republicans get up at their convention and discuss how wonderful the economy is...that ought to put the final nail in the coffin of their hopes to gain seats in Congress.

You didn't agree with anything I said. boy, no wonder this country is so divided. why would I go thru all the trouble when you don't get it? I would have to start with the alphabet. That's how far behind you are. So continuing on with you would be insane. Doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results.

I just told you why you are wrong. For what its worth.

I just want ppl to know why you are wrong. If you get it too, that's just bonus.

you told me why you think i am wrong. you offered no proof but opinion

So If I get your point Skull pilot, you're tooting the Republican horn becuase we don't have 24% unemployment?

Hey, good work!

I'm sure we're all impressed.

Meanwhile, back to American's everyday reality, things suck for many of us, and are scaring the bejeus out of most of us and everything's coming up roses for about 10% of us.

So from a Republican standpoint, I guess, that's damned good work.

not tooting any one's horn. Just reporting that the economy grew at 3.3% last quarter.

And Sorry if I don't think it's as bad as all you dems think it is.

It doesn't matter who will be Pres at this point. the Market is sort of waiting it out so you will see some stagnation there. After Nov you will see more activity and a stronger economy just because the election is over and for no other reason.

and I just don't buy that 90% of people have the bejesus scared out of them.

If things are so bad then why last week when my wife and I went to the mall on a Thurs afternnon were there so many people buying shit. Why then did we wait almost 45 minutes at a local pub for a table? Why does everyone I see seem to have a new iPhone?

Have you turned off your cable and Internet? Sold your furniture or have you bought a consumer product that was really not needed in the past 6 months? have you resorted to living on Ra men noodles or are you pretty much eating the stuff you've always eaten?

snip

Good point.

I think that this is what McCain should bascially say in his acceptance speech....that the economy is pretty damn good, President Bush has done a good job, and that this is just a minor slow down.

Don't you agree?

not tooting any one's horn. Just reporting that the economy grew at 3.3% last quarter.

And Sorry if I don't think it's as bad as all you dems think it is.

It doesn't matter who will be Pres at this point. the Market is sort of waiting it out so you will see some stagnation there. After Nov you will see more activity and a stronger economy just because the election is over and for no other reason.

and I just don't buy that 90% of people have the bejesus scared out of them.

If things are so bad then why last week when my wife and I went to the mall on a Thurs afternnon were there so many people buying shit. Why then did we wait almost 45 minutes at a local pub for a table? Why does everyone I see seem to have a new iPhone?

Have you turned off your cable and Internet? Sold your furniture or have you bought a consumer product that was really not needed in the past 6 months? have you resorted to living on Ra men noodles or are you pretty much eating the stuff you've always eaten?

You believe the economy is sound.

I certainly know that for some people the economy is wonderful.

I think they're in a distinct minority, but I do not doubt that some people are doing quite well.

Hell the truly well off did quite well all during the worst depression in american history, too, even as the vast majority of Americans were suffering and millions of Americans went homeless.

that is the nature of a capitalistic economy.

there are winner and losers.

So the question isn't merely how well the aggregate economuy is doing, but how well that aggregate economy is serving MOST people?

I think MOST people in the USA are concerned that they are losing ground economically.

We can agree to disagree about that.

I'm not offended that you think the economy is doing well.

I DO think that this upcoming election is going shake out based on how people are doing in this economy, though.

I think Obama is going to win the election because the majority of americans are not doing all that well.

Perhaps he meant that he wants proof that its really YOUR opinion?

I can't wait to see the Republican convention next week. I'm dying to know how they address each of Obama's points in his speech.

I know:

How is Obama going to afford what he wants to do.

Obama is going to raise taxes. (without saying only on the top 1%)

He's pro abortion and anti guns, and they'll use the gay card.

Wants to talk to evil doers

John McCain is a hero

Obama doesn't have experience

He's black

It is obvious what you did with your "economic stimulus check". You either blew it on crack or booze, right? Sorry ... but you are shit out of luck now, you do not get another one! Bush & McCain should have warned you about that, huh? Oh well, carry on. :eusa_whistle:

You believe the economy is sound.

never said it was sound. I said the economy grew at 3.3% last quarter and that we have experienced a slow down. What I did say is that I am not buying into the doom and gloom because I just don't see it in my every day life.

I certainly know that for some people the economy is wonderful.

I think they're in a distinct minority, but I do not doubt that some people are doing quite well.

if you listen to BooBoo only the top 10% of Americans are buying stuff and eating out etc etc while the other 90% of people are huddled in their homes looking at their cat and wondering how to cook it because things are soooooo bad.

Hell the truly well off did quite well all during the worst depression in American history, too, even as the vast majority of Americans were suffering and millions of Americans went homeless.

that is the nature of a capitalistic economy.

there are winner and losers.

always have been and always will be

So the question isn't merely how well the aggregate economy is doing, but how well that aggregate economy is serving MOST people?

I think MOST people in the USA are concerned that they are losing ground economically.

We can agree to disagree about that.

I'm not offended that you think the economy is doing well.

Please tell me where i said the economy as a whole is doing well. i said I am doing well, our business is doing well while acknowledging a slow down. because I refuse to say everything is terrible, does that mean I am saying it is all roses? I think not.

I DO think that this upcoming election is going shake out based on how people are doing in this economy, though.

I think Obama is going to win the election because the majority of Americans are not doing all that well

whoever wins it will have a positive effect on the economy simply because the market dislikes uncertainty. it will have absolutely nothing to do with who is elected.

I can't wait to see the Republican convention next week. I'm dying to know how they address each of Obama's points in his speech.

I know:

How is Obama going to afford what he wants to do.

Obama is going to raise taxes. (without saying only on the top 1%)

so BHO is going to get 150 bill for energy, 50 bill for foreign aid, enough money for a new round of bribes, i mean stimulus checks, health care etc etc etc from the to 1% of earners????

Wow lay off the Kool-Aid

He's pro abortion and anti guns, and they'll use the gay card.

BHO is gay?? do you know something we don't?

Wants to talk to evil doers

Well he already is pals with bill Ayers so whts a few more evil people?

John McCain is a hero

Undeniably and BHO is what?

Obama doesn't have experience

he doesn't

He's black

The only person I ever heard say BHO was Black was BHO himself.

First of all, there were stronger quarters under Clinton.

Second, if you want to get into a technical discussion of the calculation of business deflators, and how that calculation is stating there is business price deflation when prices are generally rising, thus exaggerating the after-inflation output, we can.

Third, the only reason why the economy showed a positive gain was because of net exports. Without net exports, the economy would have seen a 0.2% gain. The domestic economy is in a recession. Plus, the dollar is strengthening and the rest of the world is slowing, so net exports will slow.

Fourth, jobless claims continue to rise and unemployment continues to rise. How can that be in a strong economy?

Fifth, corporate profits fell.

Sixth, government spending - that thing Republicans hate - grew 4%, faster than consumption, faster than incomes, faster than profits. If government spending were flat, growth would have been much slower.

More
The Big Picture | Is BEA Measuring Growth or Inflation?
[ The Financial Ninja ]: GDP? Forget About It. GDI? Now We're Talking.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back