Speaking of Speaking

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
On a thread about illegal immigration, some numbskull starting ranting about people in his country speaking a language other than English in public. Does anybody really give a rat's ass what other people are speaking to each other out in public if they are not speaking to you specifically? What business could it be of anyone else? Are there any here who really want to legislate and enforce what language people speak to each other in private conversations at home or out and about?

On a thread about illegal immigration, some numbskull starting ranting about people in his country speaking a language other than English in public. Does anybody really give a rat's ass what other people are speaking to each other out in public if they are not speaking to you specifically? What business could it be of anyone else? Are there any here who really want to legislate and enforce what language people speak to each other in private conversations at home or out and about?
Are you kidding me? There are loads of people that think it should be illegal to speak a language that is not American English.

A common language is the very least one would expect of a society. It doesn't bother me too much if I hear a couple people speaking another language, but I have no interest in patronizing a business where they cannot communicate with me, nor am I interested in living among a predominately non-English speaking area. I eventually stopped going to a favorite Mexican restaurant after enjoying the food for over three years, because the people there made no effort to learn English. They couldn't understand me the first time I went there, nor the last time, (a span of over three years). You want the benefits of living in America, learn to speak the native language, or go the fuck home.

Yes, I care, because it's rude. Very rude. And annoying as hell in elevators and other confined spaces.

We are a nation of immigrants. The modern day Know Nothings are ignorant of this. They are the virtual descendants of the nativists who were annoyed with all that Italian and German and Polish and Gaelic and French gibberish they heard in the boweries and alleys and markets.

Are you kidding me? There are loads of people that think it should be illegal to speak a language that is not American English.

Not really.

There are many people who think the official language of the U.S. should be English, and that we should get rid of divisive multilingual requirements. That is hardly the equivalent of outlawing other languages for non-official speech.

Historically, there is no truly successful nation that has run on a multilingual system.

It does not bother me if a Spanish person cannot speak English. I understand some Spanish and my son speaks it fluently. A spanish girl told me once that he speaks it "beautifully"! He had many friends of different nationalities, it was like the UN at our house. I believe we should encourage our children to learn other languages. I have a friend whose son speaks seven languages. That is quite remarkable.

A common language is the very least one would expect of a society. It doesn't bother me too much if I hear a couple people speaking another language, but I have no interest in patronizing a business where they cannot communicate with me, nor am I interested in living among a predominately non-English speaking area. I eventually stopped going to a favorite Mexican restaurant after enjoying the food for over three years, because the people there made no effort to learn English. They couldn't understand me the first time I went there, nor the last time, (a span of over three years). You want the benefits of living in America, learn to speak the native language, or go the fuck home.

I can see both sides, Pennywise. Some people have not been here long enough to learn our language though. Considering that it is more difficult for them than it is for us - because our road signs are in English, store signs, english, so on... it would be a great help for them to learn English. I feel it is really up to the individual whether they want to learn English or not.

They need to speak English.

Who needs to? When? Where? Why?

This is how I see it. You emigrate to a country that takes you in and provides opportunity. These people decided to up and leave their own nation to come to America. It is nothing more than common courtesy to learn the language. It is respect. Refusing to accept the language is a slap in the face.

DO you play fantasy football?

I eventually stopped going to a favorite Mexican restaurant after enjoying the food for over three years, because the people there made no effort to learn English. They couldn't understand me the first time I went there, nor the last time...

At your favorite MEXICAN restaurant? Are you fucking kidding? Read your post to yourself out loud and see if you can resist the urge to smash yourself in the head with a giant cartoon mallet.

:cuckoo:

Yes, I care, because it's rude. Very rude. And annoying as hell in elevators and other confined spaces.

Isn't it rude to eavesdrop on other people's conversations? Is it "rude" if two people are in the same room as you speaking English in their private conversation but not loudly enough for you to hear them?

Not really.

There are many people who think the official language of the U.S. should be English, and that we should get rid of divisive multilingual requirements. That is hardly the equivalent of outlawing other languages for non-official speech.

Historically, there is no truly successful nation that has run on a multilingual system.

No? Ever heard of Canada?

How 'bout Switzerland? Belgium? South Africa? Ireland? New Zealand? Finland? The UK?

This is how I see it. You emigrate to a country that takes you in and provides opportunity. These people decided to up and leave their own nation to come to America. It is nothing more than common courtesy to learn the language. It is respect. Refusing to accept the language is a slap in the face.

It's the height of arrogance to tell somebody else what THEY need. If they do need it, they'll figure it out. If two people are talking in a language you don't have, guess what -- they're not talking to you.

Last edited:

It's the height of arrogance to tell somebody else what THEY need. If they do need it, they'll figure it out.

Like I said, it is a courtesy thing. It is called character...if you immigrate to another nation, you should respect that nation.

This is how I see it. You emigrate to a country that takes you in and provides opportunity. These people decided to up and leave their own nation to come to America. It is nothing more than common courtesy to learn the language.

Two people speaking to each other (and NOT you) in another language does not mean they don't speak English or aren't in the process of learning. It's still none of your business either way.

No, I don't play fantasy football.

It's the height of arrogance to tell somebody else what THEY need. If they do need it, they'll figure it out.

Like I said, it is a courtesy thing.

Not sticking your nose into other people's private business is a "courtesy thing."

Forum List

Back