Speaking of Speaking

I eventually stopped going to a favorite Mexican restaurant after enjoying the food for over three years, because the people there made no effort to learn English. They couldn't understand me the first time I went there, nor the last time...

At your favorite MEXICAN restaurant? Are you fucking kidding? Read your post to yourself out loud and see if you can resist the urge to smash yourself in the head with a giant cartoon mallet.

:cuckoo:

It's not a restaurant in Mexico...

It was a MEXICAN restaurant, you moron. You were shocked, SHOCKED! that everyone working there didn't look and speak just like Richie Cunningham? And if you went there for 3 fucking years you were probably able to communicate well enough. You just decided to be a pissy little douche. Do yourself a favor and stay in your gated community eating grilled cheese for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, Poindexter. AMERICA will get along just fine without your bitching and moaning.

At your favorite MEXICAN restaurant? Are you fucking kidding? Read your post to yourself out loud and see if you can resist the urge to smash yourself in the head with a giant cartoon mallet.

:cuckoo:

It was a MEXICAN restaurant, you moron. You were shocked, SHOCKED! that everyone working there didn't look and speak just like Richie Cunningham? And if you went there for 3 fucking years you were probably able to communicate well enough. You just decided to be a pissy little douche. Do yourself a favor and stay in your gated community eating grilled cheese for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, Poindexter. AMERICA will get along just fine without your bitching and moaning.

I expected them to learn English so that we could communicate beyond pointing at the menu.

I'm still not sure why you drag yourself out of the gutter after your daily bender. Something tells me your urine soaked clothes and tobacco stained fingers are not very welcome at the library computer station.

I expected them to learn English so that we could communicate beyond pointing at the menu.

First of all, idiot, you think that just maybe after three years not all of the staff would be unchanged at a restaurant? Second, what makes you think anyone would have any interest in communicating with the likes of you any more than is absolutely necessary? If you can get your food and you like it, shut the fuck up and eat it. They are not there to chat with some random asshole like you.

First of all, idiot, you think that just maybe after three years not all of the staff would be unchanged at a restaurant? Second, what makes you think anyone would have any interest in communicating with the likes of you any more than is absolutely necessary? If you can get your food and you like it, shut the fuck up and eat it. They are not there to chat with some random asshole like you.

:lol:

So tuff, mercy me.

The same lady waited on us every single time. I believe she was married to the owner.

Assimilate or go the fuck home. If they do not have the appreciation for the opportunities America affords, I don't want them here, no matter how well they cook.

You couldn't be a more lame individual.

So tuff, mercy me.

The same lady waited on us every single time. I believe she was married to the owner.

Assimilate or go the fuck home. If they do not have the appreciation for the opportunities America affords, I don't want them here, no matter how well they cook.

What's the name of the restaurant? I'd like to check it out.

So tuff, mercy me.

"Fuck you, Gringo."

They have locations across the US.

So tuff, mercy me.

"Fuck you, Gringo."

They have locations across the US.
Not surprised at your dishonesty.

I don't care if people speak other languages to each other no matter where they are. This is America. They are free to do so.

I do think it would be wise for immigrants to learn English and assimilate. But considering we have home grown Americans who don't know English, I may be expecting too much.

Sounds like she is assimilating just fine. You said she was married to an entrepreneur, she's working, being productive, making the most of opportunities here. She almost certainly speaks better English than you realize. Again, who the fuck would want to talk with the likes of you any more than is absolutely necessary? Her family is very likely contributing more to the economy and society of my country than you ever will. Maybe you should try to do half as well as she is or YOU get the fuck out. We don't need idiots like you.

It doesn't bother me too much if I hear a couple people speaking another language,...

Doesn't bother you "too much"? What the fuck business is it of yours at all?
Apply the same standard to yourself.

What business is it of yours that they believe that?

Then get back to Me.

Take note. This is not an endorsement or rejection of your OP, only a comment on this particular reply.

There are numerous reasons why we sometimes hear folks conversing in a foreign language. They may be tourists, or they may be recent immigrants who haven't had the opportunity to learn English yet. If these immigrants are legal, then I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they are recent newcomers, and will eventually enroll in a language class to learn English. What irks me are newcomers who deliberately move into specific ethnic neighborhoods where their language is common, thus eliminating the need to learn English.

In my early 20s, I had a group of friends from around the country, but most were from the East Coast. We lived on the West Coast and did a lot of things together as a group. One of the guys became a boyfriend for a while. He is Chinese American. He was born in NYC and grew up in 'China Town.' He was completely American; you couldn't get any more American, but his parents had immigrated to the US. His father was a businessman and learned English. His mother raised several fine young American men, lived for, at the time I knew her, over 25 years in NYC and never learned any English. She lived in China Town and spent most of her life there. She was a nice old lady. I don't see the harm in it at all. She raised good American boys who became good American men. She was a good person who didn't milk the system in anyway and didn't do any harm to anyone. What's the problem?

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? There are loads of people that think it should be illegal to speak a language that is not American English.

Not really.

There are many people who think the official language of the U.S. should be English, and that we should get rid of divisive multilingual requirements. That is hardly the equivalent of outlawing other languages for non-official speech.

Historically, there is no truly successful nation that has run on a multilingual system.

No? Ever heard of Canada?

How 'bout Switzerland? Belgium? South Africa? Ireland? New Zealand? Finland? The UK?

Give them a few hundred years and THEN you will see! They will asplode from too much multiculturalism. People will be eating bean burritos with soy sauce and stuff.

So there! :evil:

Not really.

There are many people who think the official language of the U.S. should be English, and that we should get rid of divisive multilingual requirements. That is hardly the equivalent of outlawing other languages for non-official speech.

Historically, there is no truly successful nation that has run on a multilingual system.

No? Ever heard of Canada?

How 'bout Switzerland? Belgium? South Africa? Ireland? New Zealand? Finland? The UK?

Give them a few hundred years and THEN you will see! They will asplode from too much multiculturalism. People will be eating bean burritos with soy sauce and stuff.

So there! :evil:
too late!

Takumi Taco - NYC Japanese Food Truck - New York Food TrucksTakumi Taco | Simply Great Mexican/Japanese Fusion

There are numerous reasons why we sometimes hear folks conversing in a foreign language. They may be tourists, or they may be recent immigrants who haven't had the opportunity to learn English yet. If these immigrants are legal, then I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they are recent newcomers, and will eventually enroll in a language class to learn English. What irks me are newcomers who deliberately move into specific ethnic neighborhoods where their language is common, thus eliminating the need to learn English.

In my early 20s, I had a group of friends from around the country, but most were from the East Coast. We lived on the West Coast and did a lot of things together as a group. One of the guys became a boyfriend for a while. He is Chinese American. He was born in NYC and grew up in 'China Town.' He was completely American; you couldn't get any more American, but his parents had immigrated to the US. His father was a businessman and learned English. His mother raised several fine young American men, lived for, at the time I knew her, over 25 years in NYC and never learned any English. She lived in China Town and spent most of her life there. She was a nice old lady. I don't see the harm in it at all. She raised good American boys who became good American men. She was a good person who didn't milk the system in anyway and didn't do any harm to anyone. What's the problem?
Although she was a good person, I question why anyone would move to the US if they don't intend on assimilating into the American culture, and learn English. Why not just stay where they're at as they'll be happier there? I recall the time I lived in south Phoenix in a neighborhood that that a significant Hispanic population. I was fine with them conversing in Spanish amongst themselves, however at times when I went to a fast food restaurant or a flea market for instance, I was not able to get service in English. I had to literally use sign language. I had a very limited knowledge of Spanish, so it was quite challenging to say the least.

Although she was a good person, I question why anyone would move to the US if they don't intend on assimilating into the American culture, and learn English. Why not just stay where they're at as they'll be happier there? I recall the time I lived in south Phoenix in a neighborhood that that a significant Hispanic population. I was fine with them conversing in Spanish amongst themselves, however at times when I went to a fast food restaurant or a flea market for instance, I was not able to get service in English. I had to literally use sign language. I had a very limited knowledge of Spanish, so it was quite challenging to say the least.

Well, given her specific situation, I suspect she was a dutiful Chinese wife and did what her husband wanted her to do, which was make a new life in America. Her personal choice may have been different. And she was probably a simple lady without education and not aggressive or assertive as far as learning a new language or assimilating into a new culture. Why would she need to learn English when she mainly lived within the Chinese community?

Why would she immigrate to the US? Because her husband wanted her to. I can't see where the harm is. She was essentially a productive member of US society by educating her children in American schools: they were totally fluent in English and graduated from college and later had good careers and families. What did she do wrong?

English could be made the official language of the US, but it shouldn't stop people from conversing in their native tongue or mother tongue. Where's the harm? I just don't see any.

Last edited:

Well, given her specific situation, I suspect she was a dutiful Chinese wife and did what her husband wanted her to do, which was make a new life in America. Her personal choice may have been different. And she was probably a simple lady without education and not aggressive or assertive as far as learning a new language or assimilating into a new culture. Why would she need to learn English when she mainly lived within the Chinese community?

Why would she immigrate to the US? Because her husband wanted her to. I can't see where the harm is. She was essentially a productive member of US society by educating her children in American schools: they were totally fluent in English and graduated from college and later had good careers and families. What did she do wrong?

English could be made the official language of the US, but it shouldn't stop people from conversing in their native tongue or mother tongue. Where's the harm? I just don't see any.
Not to mention that back in those days the Chinese weren't really free to assimilate

Not to mention that back in those days the Chinese weren't really free to assimilate

Those days? I suppose it would have been the late 40s when they immigrated. I only know my friend was just like any other American male and that his father was a businessman who did business within the Chinese community but outside of it as well, and he spoke English. I suppose assimilating into the mainstream American culture at that time was not as it is now, certainly. But I still have no problem with people speaking different languages around me. When I lived in Seattle, one of the more interesting and pleasurable aspects of going to Vancouver, BC was to walk down the street and hear so many different languages. I enjoy that people come from different cultures and speak different languages. Why Americans, people from a country of immigrants, object to it is mystifying.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back