Speaking of Speaking

Who needs to? When? Where? Why?

This is how I see it. You emigrate to a country that takes you in and provides opportunity. These people decided to up and leave their own nation to come to America. It is nothing more than common courtesy to learn the language.

Two people speaking to each other (and NOT you) in another language does not mean they don't speak English or aren't in the process of learning. It's still none of your business either way.

:lol: Like I said. It is a respect thing, especially when interacting with the public or utilizing services.

There are numerous reasons why we sometimes hear folks conversing in a foreign language. They may be tourists, or they may be recent immigrants who haven't had the opportunity to learn English yet. If these immigrants are legal, then I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they are recent newcomers, and will eventually enroll in a language class to learn English. What irks me are newcomers who deliberately move into specific ethnic neighborhoods where their language is common, thus eliminating the need to learn English.

Are you kidding me? There are loads of people that think it should be illegal to speak a language that is not American English.

Not really.

There are many people who think the official language of the U.S. should be English, and that we should get rid of divisive multilingual requirements. That is hardly the equivalent of outlawing other languages for non-official speech.

Historically, there is no truly successful nation that has run on a multilingual system.

No? Ever heard of Canada?

How 'bout Switzerland? Belgium? South Africa? Ireland? New Zealand? Finland? The UK?

It's always nice to see Pogo arrive, ready to serve fresh-outta-the-oven-and-pipin'-hot feet in her mouth.

Sharia Law will soon be the death knell of every one of those countries, except for New Zealand.

Sharia Law is what happens when apologists like yourself allow too much multiculturalism, Pogo.

This is how I see it. You emigrate to a country that takes you in and provides opportunity. These people decided to up and leave their own nation to come to America. It is nothing more than common courtesy to learn the language.

Two people speaking to each other (and NOT you) in another language does not mean they don't speak English or aren't in the process of learning. It's still none of your business either way.

:lol: Like I said. It is a respect thing, especially when interacting with the public or utilizing services.

That's "as I said", you cunning linguist.

That's "as I said", you cunning linguist.

I am sorry. I don't think you are pretty enough to be my secretary.

Not really.

There are many people who think the official language of the U.S. should be English, and that we should get rid of divisive multilingual requirements. That is hardly the equivalent of outlawing other languages for non-official speech.

Historically, there is no truly successful nation that has run on a multilingual system.

No? Ever heard of Canada?

How 'bout Switzerland? Belgium? South Africa? Ireland? New Zealand? Finland? The UK?

It's always nice to see Pogo arrive, ready to serve fresh-outta-the-oven-and-pipin'-hot feet in her mouth.

Sharia Law will soon be the death knell of every one of those countries, except for New Zealand.

Sharia Law is what happens when apologists like yourself allow too much multiculturalism, Pogo.

Are those countries not "successful" then?

You do understand what the claim was, do you not? Nothing to do with "Sharia" -- or any aspect of religion at all...

eh... maybe you don't understand.

Last edited:
I don't mind if they speak another language if I'm not involved in the conversation but if I am, I think it's rude for them to do it.

Like I said. It is a respect thing, especially when interacting with the public or utilizing services.

I think I made it clear in the OP that I'm talking about people out in public engaged in private communication.

What irks me are newcomers who deliberately move into specific ethnic neighborhoods where their language is common, thus eliminating the need to learn English.

It shouldn't "irk" you. It is what has always happened with immigrant groups in our country, and it is not as a means of "eliminating the need to learn English."

It doesn't bother me too much if I hear a couple people speaking another language,...

Doesn't bother you "too much"? What the fuck business is it of yours at all?

If we're in a frick'n elevator, then fk yeah, it's my business.

Why? When did you gain the 'right' to know everything everyone in an elevator with you is saying? How does the elevator make it your business? Are people speaking softly in English on an elevator violating your 'rights' somehow?

On a thread about illegal immigration, some numbskull starting ranting about people in his country speaking a language other than English in public. Does anybody really give a rat's ass what other people are speaking to each other out in public if they are not speaking to you specifically? What business could it be of anyone else? Are there any here who really want to legislate and enforce what language people speak to each other in private conversations at home or out and about?
Are you kidding me? There are loads of people that think it should be illegal to speak a language that is not American English.

Not really.

This is not true. India comes immediately to mind. There are peaceful, successful states in the ME that run on two languages, English and Arabic (such as the UAE). These are examples that immediately come to mind.

It's mind boggling that people think oral speech in a language other than English should be outlawed. And those promoting such an idea seem to be, invariably, those on the right who are so against government influence in our lives. Unbelievable.

A country having an official language has nothing to do with people SPEAKING in another language, especially when they are doing it socially amongst themselves. Anyone who is put off by that illustrates their ultra-provincial attitude toward life.

Currently, I am in the South of France, near the Italian border. Though French is the official language, I hear other languages being spoken, especially Italian. Many French people in this area speak Italian. English is also widely spoken.

I had a colleague who worked in Nice for a year. She told me she was required to take French lessons in order to maintain her residency visa. If anyone on Earth is protective of their language, it is the French. However, I doubt anyone seriously considers it a problem or is annoyed when people here speak to each other in a different language, except the knuckle draggers, which every country has.

On a thread about illegal immigration, some numbskull starting ranting about people in his country speaking a language other than English in public. Does anybody really give a rat's ass what other people are speaking to each other out in public if they are not speaking to you specifically? What business could it be of anyone else? Are there any here who really want to legislate and enforce what language people speak to each other in private conversations at home or out and about?

Not really.

The US isn't successful?

Not really.

If there are many people who think the 'official language' of the U.S. should be English, and that we should 'get rid' of 'divisive multilingual requirements,' how else is that going to be accomplished but by outlawing other languages, which would be un-Constitutional.

The only way to 'get rid' of something or make something 'official' is by force of law.

Consequently the observation of the quoted post is in essence correct.

Moreover, no one is advocating that the United States be 'run on a multilingual system.'

There are those who perceive 'tolerance' for languages other than English being spoken in the United States as de facto 'acceptance' of 'multilingualism,' which would contribute to the 'undermining' of the American Nation.

Needless to say such a perception is unwarranted nonsense, the consequence of ignorance, hate, bigotry, and a fear of change and diversity.

I eventually stopped going to a favorite Mexican restaurant after enjoying the food for over three years, because the people there made no effort to learn English. They couldn't understand me the first time I went there, nor the last time...

At your favorite MEXICAN restaurant? Are you fucking kidding? Read your post to yourself out loud and see if you can resist the urge to smash yourself in the head with a giant cartoon mallet.

:cuckoo:

Captain Asshole comes out to play again. It's not a restaurant in Mexico, you fucked monkey skull.

Forum List

Back