Speak English

People have been bitching about immigrants since the country was established, failing to see through their hatred and understanding that immigrants built America.
At least the immigrants that actually built America learned to assimilate.

Who said current immigrants aren't? You have a bad case of myopia. In the past it wasn't until the third generation that people became totally assimilated and it's no different now. You can't expect freshly arrived people to speak perfect English or totally give up the language of their birth.

I went to school with a guy who was born in America with Italian parents. When he started school he could not speak English. First thing the nuns did was give them a pencil and piece of paper and told them to write their names. He copied off of the guy next to him. Yes, he began school getting caught cheating. LOL

So, what's your point? He wasn't third generation, was he? :itsok:

I speak English very well, indeed. I told the bloke on the lift, when we were on our way out to have a fag, that the bonnet on my lorry was broken and he got a spanner and fixed it immediately.

People learn language as 'mother tongue,' meaning in the home, and by immersion--the schools and communities they live in. Blacks learn language that way too. They continue to speak the language spoken in the home. They speak the language that the majority of the people in their schools and communities speak. As they most often go to predominantly black schools and live in predominantly black neighborhoods, the language they speak reflects that.

People learn language as 'mother tongue,' meaning in the home, and by immersion--the schools and communities they live in. Blacks learn language that way too. They continue to speak the language spoken in the home. They speak the language that the majority of the people in their schools and communities speak. As they most often go to predominantly black schools and live in predominantly black neighborhoods, the language they speak reflects that.

1) When did this become a black/white thing?

2) Most black Americans speak English, so what's your point?

3) Do you have some proof to back up "they most often go to predominantly black schools and live in predominantly black neighborhoods"?

Hispanic Custodians On Auraria Campus Claim Discrimination « CBS Denver

Denver is pretty liberal, so it's pretty funny, but I love this profound statement!

“If I could speak English I wouldn’t have the problems that exist,” said Ribota.

No shit!!!!!!!!!!

OMG and here is the most racist, most descriminating statement ever:

The Auraria Campus believes employees should understand some basic English.

Given the command of their own language most Americans have, I'm not so sure expecting foreigners to be able to handle it makes much sense. :)

I can't believe we're still hearing this kind of crap with regard to Spanish. It's a bona fide American language, whether anyone likes it or not. It's the main language of Puerto Rico and when it becomes a state the last vestige of "otherness" will have to drop away. So, get used to it.
English is taught in every school in Puerto Rico. They all speak English.

No jusiss...no peafs...it go like dat, Essie?

I can't believe we're still hearing this kind of crap with regard to Spanish. It's a bona fide American language, whether anyone likes it or not. It's the main language of Puerto Rico and when it becomes a state the last vestige of "otherness" will have to drop away. So, get used to it.
English is taught in every school in Puerto Rico. They all speak English...

...as a second language. Make PR a state and there'll be no question any longer that Spanish is an American(US) language.

Expecting people to assimilate and speak proper English might hurt their feelings.

Can't have that.

That's hardly the point. The problem is with those who expect immigrants to be fluent as soon as they get here. I know some well-educated people that have lived here for 60 years and still have an accent and still make the occasional mistake.

The 4th from the end para of the URL says that all other CO universities have to provide translations to their staff, if needed. That's a neat trick - how did this particular campus avoid that provision?

Incorrect. The actual line is: It is standard at other universities in Colorado. This means that though it is not a universal thing, at least a few other universities in the state provide complete translations.

& besides, you can't have maintenance personnel working with equipment & chemicals if they don't understand instructions or labels. The immediate supervision for these employees should have IDed any problems, & arranged for short-term & long-term cures for any deficiencies. (English classes, for instance, with a time limit for basic English competency.)

Prove that this was an issue. It's not at all mentioned in the article.

& yah, even in Colorado, everybody should be able to communicate in English.

Your bigotry truly knows no bounds.

Puerto Rico will likely become a state and Spanish is the main language there. I'm afraid your attitude just won't cut it. Learn Spanish or get left behind.

I absolutely agree. Puerto Rico's status as a U.S. territory means they're worthless and we can ignore them. If they become a state, however, that suddenly means we must recognize Puerto Ricans as humyn beings, and everyone in the entire country will simply have to learn Spanish to accommodate the pyyple of one small area of the country not bordering any other state in the off chance they decide to go visit another area of the U.S.

Anyone who doesn't learn Spanish at that point will definitely, indisputably get left behind as the tidal wave of Puerto Ricans--an entire 1.1% of the U.S. population--comes flooding into the rest of the country, because certainly none of them will want to stay in Puerto Rico. Not even one.

In fact, we should just abolish the English language altogether. Ban it from being spoken and make every other language on the planet our joint national languages. Anything less is inexcusable bigotry.

Expecting people to assimilate and speak proper English might hurt their feelings...

No it wouldn't. It would hurt the feelings of busy-body liberals born right here. They are the only force behind any perceived delay in assimilation.

Expecting people to assimilate and speak proper English might hurt their feelings...

No it wouldn't. It would hurt the feelings of busy-body liberals born right here. They are the only force behind any perceived delay in assimilation.

Well, yeah, I can see that. The Left would be TELLING these people that their feelings are hurt.

Otherwise these people would be thinking "I want to get going and take advantage of what this country offers, and the first thing I obviously have to do is get a good command of the language".

Fair point.

Fuck it, what's so special about hispancis that they get all of these accomodations and signs. I want signs put up in Yiddish. That's what my ancestors spoke. except they had to be bothered to learn english. So hispanics get special treatment, and I'm being discriminated against as a result.

You mean in countries like Canada where the country is close to splitting up because Quebec insists on special treatment?

...as a second language. Make PR a state and there'll be no question any longer that Spanish is an American(US) language.

Your claim is meaningless.

Given the command of their own language most Americans have, I'm not so sure expecting foreigners to be able to handle it makes much sense. :)

Americans speak the language better than the Redcoats do.

Our use of slang is beautifully epic compared to theirs, too.

Most people speak "wrongly" or "wrong" (both correct), in the midwest there's this thing of say "i have did" "he has went", using the past instead of the past participle, which becomes a problem when a person from the midwest has to try and teach English to foreigners but they don't know the rules and don't even use the rules.

Even the British speak wrongly, unless that person actually knows what is right.

Fuck it, what's so special about hispancis that they get all of these accomodations and signs. I want signs put up in Yiddish. That's what my ancestors spoke. except they had to be bothered to learn english. So hispanics get special treatment, and I'm being discriminated against as a result.

You mean in countries like Canada where the country is close to splitting up because Quebec insists on special treatment?

Your claim is meaningless.

Whatever, as I said nobody cares what you have to say. I'll settle for my post being FACTUAL. How about you trying to post one of those for a change? :cool-45:

Forum List

Back