Speak English

This is America. We speak English. If you can't grasp that, you know where the door is. There is no reason why we should accomodate those that can't speak English. It's all part of that assimilation thing. Speak English or leave!

Puerto Rico will likely become a state and Spanish is the main language there. I'm afraid your attitude just won't cut it. Learn Spanish or get left behind.

Then i guess i get left behind. I'm not going to learn Spanish just because a bunch of third worlders feel they're special and should be pandered to.

If you want to be a spineless jellyfish, then that's your right.

Just saw a political commentary on local tv here in Vegas where a representative of the Philippine/Asian community was bragging how the population had grown to the point where Tagalog would soon be required to be added to the local BALLOTS!!!!! :puke3:

And how much is printing out ballots in Tagalog going to cost taxpayers?

Just saw a political commentary on local tv here in Vegas where a representative of the Philippine/Asian community was bragging how the population had grown to the point where Tagalog would soon be required to be added to the local BALLOTS!!!!! :puke3:

And, while I'm fluent in Spanish, IT IS NOT an "American language". It was only spoken in a small portion of the present-day United States. :evil:

This is exactly why I support that all Government Documents, including ballots, be in English only.

This country has never declared English as it's official language and I hope it never does.

People have been bitching about immigrants since the country was established, failing to see through their hatred and understanding that immigrants built America. If people move to this country not knowing how to speak English then their kids will certainly learn and that's why they move here: to give their kids a better life.

This country was built on a mix of ethnicities, cultures and languages and it's going to stay that way no matter how nationalistic you or your other xenophobic friends here whine and cry.

Last edited:
When we have people speaking different languages, somewhere along the line, someone has to give. Just who is responsible for ensuring communication here? Are we supposed to bend over, hire translators or learn Spanish or should they be the ones to take it upon themselves to learn English since that is what most Americans speak? Seems like it always falls on the citizens here.

Other countries expect visitors or legal immigrants to learn their ways, everything from their language to their laws. Why shouldn't we do the same?

When we have people speaking different languages, somewhere along the line, someone has to give. Just who is responsible for ensuring communication here? Are we supposed to bend over, hire translators or learn Spanish or should they be the ones to take it upon themselves to learn English since that is what most Americans speak? Seems like it always falls on the citizens here.

Other countries expect visitors or legal immigrants to learn their ways, everything from their language to their laws. Why shouldn't we do the same?

(My bold)

First, the immigrants are responsible to learn English - although the Native Peoples would probably have quibbled about that, if anyone had asked them. Even so - the US has an interest in "foreign" cultures & languages - "foreign" because the only "native" languages were those spoken by the Native Peoples. But trade for the US means that we need to have our own people who speak the languages & know the cultures.

Why do we - after 12 years of fighting in Iraq & Afghanistan - still not have enough Pushtu & Arabic & Farsi speakers? Because AG Ashcroft went berserk & rounded up young Islamic men by profile? Without notifying their familiies? Without access to counsel?

We deported everyone we could find who had an expired student or other visa, & tightened up access to student visas for everyone - not just young Islamic men. & so since 09/11, we're losing students from all over who would have preferred to have come to the US to study, & possibly to found companies here. Companies which are now going to India, the Little Tigers in the Pacific, elsewhere.

Why shouldn't we do the same - demand everyone learn English? We do, & everyone does - eventually. & because - with the exception of Black slaves - we are a nation of immigrants. & count your blessings - if not for net population growth by immigration, we'd be losing population steadily. Those immigrants work, pay taxes, rent apartments, buy homes, buy cars, buy groceries. They contribute to the tax & sales & labor bases, & often enough pay into Social Security, with no real hope of ever claiming that money back.

Ask the Feds how much nastier the national debt would be if immigrants weren't paying into the SS suspense account.

This is America. We speak English. If you can't grasp that, you know where the door is. There is no reason why we should accomodate those that can't speak English. It's all part of that assimilation thing. Speak English or leave!

Since this is America, shouldn't we speak Spanish and American Indian?

I thought libs say they come here for better lives and to become Americans. But if they are expected to learn English not only do they refuse, but actually threaten to sue?

Libbies, can you explain this to me how your claims make sense? Or do I need to kill some brain cells before I will understand liberal logic?

Deviant, cocksucking prancing sissies.

You mean you have some? Dang.

Obviously we didn't tighten up on those student visas enough. Nor deport enough. That's how the Boston Marathon got bombed.

Obviously we didn't tighten up on those student visas enough. Nor deport enough. That's how the Boston Marathon got bombed.

(My bold)

Nah, the survivor is a naturalized US citizen. That's one reason we're not hauling him off to Guantanamo for interrogation nor detention.

The older brother was somewhere in the process of becoming a naturalized citizen, I believe. He may have hit a snag in the process, I don't remember what the details were on that. It should be easy enough to look that up.

Since this is America, shouldn't we speak Spanish and American Indian?

what is American Indian?.....

(My bold)

What the Native Peoples in what is now the US used to speak, pre-European contact - hundreds of languages, although they were broadly related into 5 or 6 language groups, as I recall. More, if you count the entire New World ...

If Puerto Rico becomes a state, then they will just have to learn English. The whole nation isn't going to change to accommodate them.

We already have Spanish versions of just about everything. In the future it's the people that can't speak both that are going to be cleaning the toilets. Who's going to hire someone for an executive position, if they can't speak to the customers and workers?

KonradV nails it here - in the 21st century every person graduating college needs to be at least bilingual. If you want to speak English only - forget doing any export business.

I don't know why so many people here see this as a threat or a burden - in Finland every college graduate is trilingual, and has to be. It just is not that difficult.

You just can not work in today's world without two languages, and Spanish is an excellent, easy and widely used option.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnpaPGHFsL4]Immigrant Song with lyrics HQ Led Zeppelin - YouTube[/ame]

"No bum that can't speak poifect English oughta stay in this country...oughta be de-exported the hell outta here!

tumblr_lsikamyJu31qajdsqo1_400.jpg

Well, the answer here is obvious.

Expecting people who live and work in America to actually understand fundamental English might hurt their feelings. It's up to us to make life easier for these people by accomodating them in any way possible, no matter what. Their feelings should never be hurt. It's in the Constitution, look it up.

People who move to, live in, and work in America shouldn't have to assimilate until they're damn good and ready to, if ever. Expectations and standards aren't fair and should be discouraged and/or avoided at all times.

Build that bitch huge! When it comes to strawmen, the bigger the better.

I thought you had spent some time abroad? Ever see any English while visiting other countries?

In Holland, most people speak English. All of the signs in the Amsterdam airport are in English along with most of the signs in Amsterdam other than street signs.

Well, the answer here is obvious.

Expecting people who live and work in America to actually understand fundamental English might hurt their feelings. It's up to us to make life easier for these people by accomodating them in any way possible, no matter what. Their feelings should never be hurt. It's in the Constitution, look it up.

People who move to, live in, and work in America shouldn't have to assimilate until they're damn good and ready to, if ever. Expectations and standards aren't fair and should be discouraged and/or avoided at all times.

Build that bitch huge! When it comes to strawmen, the bigger the better.

I thought you had spent some time abroad? Ever see any English while visiting other countries?

In Holland, most people speak English. All of the signs in the Amsterdam airport are in English along with most of the signs in Amsterdam other than street signs.

Of course. Other nations recognize the importance of communication with people from other places. Japanese highways are peppered with signs written in English as well as Japanese.

If Puerto Rico becomes a state, then they will just have to learn English. The whole nation isn't going to change to accommodate them.

We already have Spanish versions of just about everything. In the future it's the people that can't speak both that are going to be cleaning the toilets. Who's going to hire someone for an executive position, if they can't speak to the customers and workers?

Are spanish speakers too stupid to learn english or are they being enabled to not learn english? What's so special abotu them that they get all these signs put up, but my ethnic group doesn't? How is that equality? Why can't I hvae yiddish and german and russian put up on signs too?

You couldn't read them anyway so why have a hissy fit about it?

Forum List

Back