Speak English or don't play in the LPGA...

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Saw this on CNN today.......

Tuesday's bombshell from LPGA headquarters — the news that in 2009 the tour will require its players to be conversant in English — is already the subject of intense debate in and out of the golf community. But the legality of the LPGA's decision must also be questioned.

So-called English-only rules in the workplace are an emerging body of law; the Supreme Court has yet to weigh in. One high-profile recent case, still pending, centered on a Connecticut sheet-metal factory that made English compulsory. The attorney for the workers, Steven D. Jacobs, tells GOLF.com: "Over the last 10 years, there have been a number of decisions in this area, and the courts have consistently decreed that it is permissible for an employer to mandate English-only for two narrow reasons: safety" — air-traffic control being an obvious example — "and efficiency" — such as telephone customer service.

"And that's it," Jacobs continued. "With regards to the LPGA, safety is obviously a non-factor. So the issue becomes, is the language a player speaks fundamental to the competition? I would not want to be the one who has to make that case."

Now, I've spent 20 years in the Navy, supporting and defending the American way of life. Since there are few people in the US that speak a second language, I think this rule is a good one, especially since the people playing in the LPGA are raking in fame and money from going and playing there. If they don't speak English, then how in the hell are they going to be able to communicate with the fans, sponsors, and tour officials? If you want to play in America, you should learn to speak the language.

I've been to 26 different countries, and I NEVER went off the ship without a phrase book in the local language. Why? It made it easier for me to find what was there. Same deal applies to this situation.

Any one else?

Forum List

Back