Someone please tell me why a state sheriff would pull over a moped in South Carolina?

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Just witnessed this, in South Carolina they can only do 30 mph, don't need a drivers license, don't need insurance...

Guess it was driving while black..

Don't sheriffs have better things to do around here and it was near Clemson university..

IMG_20170331_162512.jpg

My guess is the pig was following the DMV laws. In Connecticut those scooters are considered motorcycles. A moped is a bicycle thing with a little 2 HP motor. Some of those scooters are very quick and can easily do 50 MPH.

There are simply too many laws. Cops are employed to enforce the laws. When you have thousands of laws, then you get pulled over and complain about the police.... when they didn't make the law.

You should be screaming at the politicians to eliminate some of these laws.

Just witnessed this, in South Carolina they can only do 30 mph, don't need a drivers license, don't need insurance...

Your ignorance and intellectual dishonesty are astounding.

First of all, you do need a valid driver's license to ride a moped. Furthermore, your unsupported assertion that he was pulled over for being black is ridiculous. There is no law that prohibits blacks from driving, jackass.

First of all, you do need a valid driver's license to ride a moped. Furthermore, your unsupported assertion that he was pulled over for being black is ridiculous. There is no law that prohibits blacks from driving, jackass.

You moron I live here you don't need a license to drive a moped under 50cc

Looks like State Patrol....they are assholes here in NC as well. I use facebook yard sale groups for my area to warn people when these clowns are sitting trying to catch people speeding or not wearing a seatbelt :D

It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of twenty-one to operate or ride upon a two-wheeled motorized vehicle unless he wears a protective helmet of a type approved by the department. Such a helmet must be equipped with either a neck or chin strap and be reflectorized on both sides thereof.

South Carolina's current helmet law

1. Either cop knows him and knows he is under 21
2. and more likely,cop was bored,abusing his power to just pull someone over HOPING to find something else to harass him for.

There are simply too many laws. Cops are employed to enforce the laws. When you have thousands of laws, then you get pulled over and complain about the police.... when they didn't make the law.

What to many laws regarding traffic? These cops over look texting while driving, reckless driving all illegal and pulling over some kid for driving a damn moped...

Even on a public street?
Is it legal to drive such a small engine on a public street? Can they keep up with other traffic?

Personally, I would like to see certain vehicles barred from streets, especially those that have no engine.

It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of twenty-one to operate or ride upon a two-wheeled motorized vehicle unless he wears a protective helmet of a type approved by the department. Such a helmet must be equipped with either a neck or chin strap and be reflectorized on both sides thereof.

South Carolina's current helmet law

1. Either cop knows him and knows he is under 21
2. and more likely,cop was bored,abusing his power to just pull someone over HOPING to find something else to harass him for.

I forgot about the under 21 law...

Even on a public street?
Is it legal to drive such a small engine on a public street? Can they keep up with other traffic?

Personally, I would like to see certain vehicles barred from streets, especially those that have no engine.

They can go everywhere except on the interstate and yes they drive us crazy down here holding up traffic on a two lane road when the speed limit is 55 mph.

On a side note they get killed a lot, south Carolina is dangerous to ride a moped or motorcycle..

Even on a public street?

They can go everywhere except on the interstate and yes they drive us crazy down here holding up traffic on a two lane road when the speed limit is 55 mph.

On a side note they get killed a lot, south Carolina is dangerous to ride a moped or motorcycle..

But they are cheap, you can get a new Chinese made one for $900 bucks and like I said no insurance, no drivers license and no tags.

Edit if it's under 50cc if it's over then you need a license..

What to many laws regarding traffic? These cops over look texting while driving, reckless driving all illegal and pulling over some kid for driving a damn moped...

I was on the production floor a few months back, and a guy was using some colorful language on the floor. He wasn't loud, but I walked over to him and told him that wasn't appropriate. So then this other guy Chris started yelling out some really sick disgusting jokes. The manager heard it, and told him to shut up.

Chris immediately started yelling that other people say stuff and don't get in trouble, why should he. He was written up.

The manager didn't hear the other guy. He heard Chris.

You say cops over look texting, and reckless driving. I don't know if that's true or not. But just because you see a police car, doesn't mean the cop sees the reckless driver, or the texting driver.

You also may not actually know the laws. Here in Ohio we passed a texting law. People starting complaining the cops do not stop drivers that are texting. And they don't.

What people didn't know, was while the law allows police to cite people for texting and driving, it doesn't allow them to stop drivers for texting and driving. If they pull you over for speeding, or something else, and see you texting, they can give you a citation for texting and speeding. But texting alone isn't grounds for a stop. The police have to pull you over for a different violation, and then they can tack on the texting citation.

Ohio Texting and Driving Law: The Facts | Ohio Tiger

For drivers over 18, the rules are somewhat relaxed. Texting or emailing while driving is illegal, but talking on the phone is permitted. The ban on “text-based communication” reflects concerns about drivers looking away from the road for too long while dealing with text messages and emails. This is a secondary offense, meaning a cop can’t pull you over for it. You have to commit a traffic violation first and the texting violation will be added onto it. The texting and driving portion of the offense will land you a fine of about $150.​

That.... is the law.

The police are simply doing as the law states. Then you come on here screaming they are not stopping people for doing X. Well that's what the law says. Why are you screaming at the officer, when it's the politicians that wrote these laws? Complain at them! The officer has no ability to determine the law.

They are very popular here in South Carolina, mostly among the "I lost my license because of a DUI" club because no license is to ride one. Hell, they don't even have license plates. They are the bane of every South Carolina driver's commute. I have heard rumors, however, that they are planning on changing the licensing rules for the little fuckers.

One can only hope.

Here's a wet washcloth...

FTFH013GMYN9UTX.MEDIUM.jpg

I think you have egg on your face...

Moron.

Maybe they were on the look out for a black male on moped who robbed a convenience store and was pulled over for questioning. Who knows.

This thread is absolutely stupid. I've owned one of these "mopeds" and it has no pedals. It's a scooter. Mine looked like a 50, but was a 125 capable of 59mph with no wind.

Who the hell knows why he was pulled over but better yet, WHO THE FUCK CARES?

Forum List

Back