Some wealthy people apparently don't have enough money or enough sense to buy some class

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
I don't generally pick on folks for things like word choice and spelling because everyone makes mistakes. I make plenty of them, but here is the only public place where one can see that I do. I won't pretend that I proofread my posts before submitting them. I don't; thus if/when someone points them out -- explicitly or by inference -- I'm fine with owning my errors.

High ranking public officials publishing their thoughts is a different matter, especially when they aren't written in a purely conversational style as Trump's generally are. Betsy DeVos' Twitter post in which she expressed feeling honored to observe Trump's inauguration is one such example.

Now a tweet like hers wouldn't normally attract my ridicule, but.....DeVos is the Secy. of Education (SoE), and as such, I expect her to have full command of standard English spelling/capitalization, style, idiom and vocabulary, and I think she may not, at least not without the aid of an automated grammar checking software aid, at least one of which, BTW, is compatible with Twitter. I recognize that in rare instances, showing others what not to do is a viable way to lead, but I don't think that of an SoE or any other cabinet member.

C2yEdu7UcAAxu48.jpg

Difference between "historic" and "historical"

Yes, we know what she meant. Yes, it was a nice sentiment for her to share. She's nonetheless a grown woman and one with ample funds to buy English lessons at the local community college or prep school. Of course, she's not keen on public schools, but she has the money for a tutor. What she doesn't have is a strong command of English. Neither does she have an excuse for tweeting that slovenly composed tweet.

As if the mere fact of her publishing the poorly composed tweet, albeit one a middle-schooler could have written correctly, weren't enough, she blamed the errors on a staff member. Though I'm in no position to say an aide didn't post the tweet, as a principal and former business executive, I am in a position to say her doing so is ethically unconscionable. It's true that it's part of the staff's job to make their boss look good. It's also true that it's the boss' duty to take responsibility for everything that happens in their name.

Betsy DeVos gives us yet another illustration of the turpitude that pervades Trump's Administration. She should be ashamed of herself for placing the blame on someone else. The woman's filthy rich and one can only hope that she spends some of that money on a class that teaches the ways of good taste and social grace. Perhaps upon completing it, we'd see she actually knows what the word "honor" means.

Last edited:
I don't generally pick on folks for things like word choice and spelling because everyone makes mistakes. I make plenty of them, but here is the only public place where one can see that I do. I won't pretend that I proofread my posts before submitting them. I don't; thus if/when someone points them out -- explicitly or by inference -- I'm fine with owning my errors.

High ranking public officials publishing their thoughts is a different matter, especially when they aren't written in a purely conversational style as Trump's generally are. Betsy DeVos' Twitter post in which she expressed feeling honored to observe Trump's inauguration is one such example.

Now a tweet like hers wouldn't normally attract my ridicule, but.....DeVos is the Secy. of Education (SoE), and as such, I expect her to have full command of standard English spelling/capitalization, style, idiom and vocabulary, and I think she may not, at least not without the aid of an automated grammar checking software aid, at least one of which, BTW, is compatible with Twitter. I recognize that in rare instances, showing others what not to do is a viable way to lead, but I don't think that of an SoE or any other cabinet member.

C2yEdu7UcAAxu48.jpg

Yes, we know what she meant. Yes, it was a nice sentiment for her to share. She's nonetheless a grown woman and one with ample funds to buy English lessons at the local community college or prep school. Of course, she's not keen on public schools, but she has the money for a tutor. What she doesn't have is a strong command of English. Neither does she have an excuse for tweeting the slovenly composed tweet.

As if the mere fact of her publishing the poorly composed tweet, albeit one a middle-schooler could have written correctly, she blamed the errors on a staff member. Though I'm in no position to say an aide didn't post the tweet, as a principal and former business executive, I am in a position to say her doing so is ethically unconscionable. It's true that it's part of the staff's job to make their boss look good. It's also true that it's the boss' duty to take responsibility for everything that happens in their name.

Betsy DeVos gives yet another illustration of the turpitude that pervades this administration. She should be ashamed of herself for placing the blame on someone else. The woman's filthy rich and one can only hope that she spends some of that money on a class that teaches the ways of good taste and social grace. Perhaps upon completing it, we'd see she actually knows what the word "honor" means.
I suspect Devos has never written anything longer than 140 characters.

You know Xelor, you're right...........everyone makes mistakes on occasion. Me? I generally proof my posts before making them, but still manage to have errors on occasion.

However...............I'm not the Secretary of Education. She is. I would expect better grammar from someone who is supposed to lead our education system and be an example to follow.

C2yEdu7UcAAxu48.jpg

Yes, we know what she meant. Yes, it was a nice sentiment for her to share. She's nonetheless a grown woman and one with ample funds to buy English lessons at the local community college or prep school. Of course, she's not keen on public schools, but she has the money for a tutor. What she doesn't have is a strong command of English. Neither does she have an excuse for tweeting the slovenly composed tweet.

As if the mere fact of her publishing the poorly composed tweet, albeit one a middle-schooler could have written correctly, she blamed the errors on a staff member. Though I'm in no position to say an aide didn't post the tweet, as a principal and former business executive, I am in a position to say her doing so is ethically unconscionable. It's true that it's part of the staff's job to make their boss look good. It's also true that it's the boss' duty to take responsibility for everything that happens in their name.

Betsy DeVos gives yet another illustration of the turpitude that pervades this administration. She should be ashamed of herself for placing the blame on someone else. The woman's filthy rich and one can only hope that she spends some of that money on a class that teaches the ways of good taste and social grace. Perhaps upon completing it, we'd see she actually knows what the word "honor" means.
She did spend the night at a Holiday Inn...

It reminds me of the rise of the Romans, and one man's need to always have a Greek slave to follow him when he conversed so the slave could whisper the names of the Greek gods to him, so he could be civilised, and not a barbarian..

C2yEdu7UcAAxu48.jpg

That's the problem, she didn't follow through on the commercial. It's not "I stayed at a Holiday Inn", it's "I stayed at a Holiday Inn EXPRESS". She forgot the express part, much like she forgot proper grammar in her tweet message.

C2yEdu7UcAAxu48.jpg

That's the problem, she didn't follow through on the commercial. It's not "I stayed at a Holiday Inn", it's "I stayed at a Holiday Inn EXPRESS". She forgot the express part, much like she forgot the grammar of her tweet.
You are less likely to get a free towel at the Express Inns..

A pretty (genetic) female republican gets the dirty tricks treatment from sissie democrats. No surprises here.

Really? Are you really more concerned about how a person looks if they are going to lead the agency responsible for teaching our children? By the way, it's spelled "sissy", not "sissie". You must really like DeVos for Sec. of Education.

It just makes you hate people who claim they are so highly educated and can't even pronounce words or make sentences:

It just makes you hate people who claim they are so highly educated and can't even pronounce words or make sentences:

Obama has already retired and left the white house. He can no longer do any damage. DeVos is just coming in and is going to be responsible for the study plans that teach our children, as well as the way schools are run, and can do a great deal.

But, I understand, deflection is all you have.

C2yEdu7UcAAxu48.jpg

1i15vt.jpg

:rofl:

C2yEdu7UcAAxu48.jpg

Yes, we know what she meant. Yes, it was a nice sentiment for her to share. She's nonetheless a grown woman and one with ample funds to buy English lessons at the local community college or prep school. Of course, she's not keen on public schools, but she has the money for a tutor. What she doesn't have is a strong command of English. Neither does she have an excuse for tweeting that slovenly composed tweet.

As if the mere fact of her publishing the poorly composed tweet, albeit one a middle-schooler could have written correctly, weren't enough, she blamed the errors on a staff member. Though I'm in no position to say an aide didn't post the tweet, as a principal and former business executive, I am in a position to say her doing so is ethically unconscionable. It's true that it's part of the staff's job to make their boss look good. It's also true that it's the boss' duty to take responsibility for everything that happens in their name.

Betsy DeVos gives us yet another illustration of the turpitude that pervades Trump's Administration. She should be ashamed of herself for placing the blame on someone else. The woman's filthy rich and one can only hope that she spends some of that money on a class that teaches the ways of good taste and social grace. Perhaps upon completing it, we'd see she actually knows what the word "honor" means.
I expected more from the public school system for my children also but that wasn't the case. The jr. high and high school admin couldn't write or spell any better than a first grader. Talk about a real disappointment when I started reading the crap he'd been writing about my dyslexic child. To top that off a thirty year veteran school teacher claimed that my child was puking on purpose and therefore she wouldn't let my child leave her room for lunch. That went on for a few weeks before that teacher called me in to tell me what she was doing. The child was puking up blood. See the child had a herniated esophagus. It was considered to be a birth defect. Not only were they downgrading the child verbally every chance they got calling the child stupid they were putting his life at risk with their antics. We had always made sure we were careful to make sure the child was eating properly and the right foods so this condition wasn't made worse. Those two SOB's tried to justify themselves at the expense of a child, my child. F' this type of school system that is willing to use the crappy butt buddy system to screw the children over for people like I just told you about can have a position hurting other peoples children and draw a paycheck that we all are paying for.

edit: BTW, those were all supposedly good caring democrats pulling that crap

Last edited:

Obama has already retired and left the white house. He can no longer do any damage. DeVos is just coming in and is going to be responsible for the study plans that teach our children, as well as the way schools are run, and can do a great deal.

Oh, that's right. I forgot. This is a bash the Republican thread and Democrats exempt.

Oh, that's right. I forgot. This is a bash the Republican thread and Democrats exempt.

Got anything to say about DeVos, either positive or negative, because that is what this thread is about, not deflecting to Obama every time you feel your leaders are threatened.

C2yEdu7UcAAxu48.jpg

That's the problem, she didn't follow through on the commercial. It's not "I stayed at a Holiday Inn", it's "I stayed at a Holiday Inn EXPRESS". She forgot the express part, much like she forgot proper grammar in her tweet message.

Most people "tweet" using their cell-phones and use the words that pop up in "auto-correct"... and they are usually in a hurry as well.. I am certainly not going to judge anyone's ability to communicate based on short messages that only allow 140 characters. Education needs to be returned to the authorities of the states instead of the hands of the federal "gubermint". If I were to judge everyone here by their ability to punctuate or even do the basics in "spell-checking"? There are very few on the left that would be able to pass the test.

C2yEdu7UcAAxu48.jpg

LOL....Funny comment. I had a nice laugh at it. TY

I would like to think you're, but I know she's too old for that to be true. LOL

Not that it's related or even a big deal, but I will say she might be the only woman in her wealth and age group that I know of and who hasn't had her "delaps" taken in.

not going to judge anyone's ability to communicate based on short messages that only allow 140 characters.

I'm not going that far either. As I wrote in my OP, I know what she meant. It's not that she didn't effectively communicate her sentiment.

Truly, of the things I mentioned in my OP, that she blamed the mistakes on a minion rather than taking the heat herself is more what I find objectionable. That's a mark of character, or in DeVos' case, an indicator of an aspect of it that's lacking. I mean really. What did he stand to lose by saying something like, "Sorry folks. I was in a rush and was careless?"

In my mind, nothing because just as I have an assistant who for me does all sorts of things similar to that, she does too, if not several. Any of her peers would know that and think it kind and "big" of her to take the hit, so to speak, rather than blame an underling. With the stones in the tiaras she wears, one'd think her head could bow just that little bit.

And to make matters worse, her apology says, "Proof our staff members are only human." Excuse me? What, is she merely a queen or more nearly a deity? Could she not have more humbly written "my?" I guess not because she didn't, and humility is one of those things that comes either naturally or too late.

Forum List

Back