Solar Power Destroys Miles and Miles of Desert

As Renewable Energy Grows Wind and Solar Pull Ahead of Hydropower StateImpact Texas

Nationally, wind generation has increased from three percent to over 30 percent of total renewable generation since 2003. Texas wind power saw tremendous growth during that time. With the Texas Renewable Portfolio Standard from 1999 and the state’s Emerging Technology Fund from 2005, Texas energy demand met with wind power rose from one percent in 2001 to 10 percent in 2014.

In solar generation, Texas is lagging behind some other sunny Southwestern states, but progress is underway. The city of El Paso doubled its solar power generation capacity in 2014 and will rely heavily on a massive new solar farm (even if it’s in New Mexico). Austin and San Antonio have also become national frontrunners in the use of solar energy.

Perhaps the biggest boost for renewable energy in Texas was a recently completed $7 billion project to connect wind farms of West Texas and the Panhandle to big cities where the power is used. The project has opened huge energy markets, which once relied on nearby power plants, to wind production hundreds of miles away.

Hydropower came to Texas in the 1930’s as part of President Roosevelt’s New Deal economic stimulus. The Lower Colorado River Authority was initially created in 1935 as a quasi-public corporation that qualified to receive New Deal funding from the federal government to build six dams on the Colorado River by 1941. Today, Texas has 23 dams with hydroelectric generators.

Doggone liberal Texans.
Hydropower has failed in Brazil. It's called DROUGHT.

Now we are told a Mega - Drought is coming, according to NASA, hmmmm, how does a hydroelectric dam operate doing this Super drought?

The droughts will not be universal. There will be areas with ample rainfall. However, that is a strong arguement for solar and wind. Coal, nuclear, and natural gas need large amounts of water for cooling and steam. PV solar and wind need very little water. In a drought, guess what is still generating when the nukes, coal, and natural gas plants are shut down for lack of water. And with grid scale storage, that energy is 24/7.

It was your link, not mine. You referenced one panel without the equipment that it takes to operate. I used your link, your one panel, and the cost of a one panel system from your link, of course 132 watts will not operate a house, so from your link I posted the price that you ignored.

That is my game, using your link to show you have zero understanding of your own source.

My house operates with that amount of electricity... the invoice from the electric company says I use 3 kwh per day ( I'll actually have to increase my consumption to use take full advantage of such a kit).
So yes , it is enough to run a household if coupled with a solar watter heater.
At 3,000 watts per day, your 132 watt panel wont even keep one 40 watt light lit for more than about 4 hours, assuming the battery is charged. If you plugged in your water heater, which uses two elements using 1,500 watts each, you would bury that panel in 30 seconds along with the battery..

Lots of people want pie in the sky green energy because they think its free but the cost to set up and operate these systems for a 3kwh daily usage is in the range of 55,000.00 depending on location, energy storage choice and what is best to use for day and night time charge/discharge cycles. Ohms Law is unforgiving and those who do not understand it will make stupid choices.Just look at Old Crock and his rantings of shit.. This looks like a couple of sock puppets.

Last edited:
It was your link, not mine. You referenced one panel without the equipment that it takes to operate. I used your link, your one panel, and the cost of a one panel system from your link, of course 132 watts will not operate a house, so from your link I posted the price that you ignored.

That is my game, using your link to show you have zero understanding of your own source.

My house operates with that amount of electricity... the invoice from the electric company says I use 3 kwh per day ( I'll actually have to increase my consumption to use take full advantage of such a kit).
Liar, one solar panel putting out less than 200 watts can run your house? Yea, if you use an ice chest to keep your food cold. A refrigerator uses 600 watts.

So smart you are.

Liberal math.... this is why America is failing...

The droughts will not be universal. There will be areas with ample rainfall. However, that is a strong arguement for solar and wind. Coal, nuclear, and natural gas need large amounts of water for cooling and steam. PV solar and wind need very little water. In a drought, guess what is still generating when the nukes, coal, and natural gas plants are shut down for lack of water. And with grid scale storage, that energy is 24/7.

At 50 times the cost.. and 50 times the toxic waste and damage to ecosystems that will be permanent. All in all, its a fools errand..

The stupidity of the left which thinks the bald eagle hunting and feeding areas impacted by these giant wind farms killing 30 a day is ok but if an oil rig moves a nest, saving the lives of the birds and then rebuilding the nesting habitat when they are finished drilling, they should be shut down.. fucking left wit morons! These ECO-FASCISTS need to be stopped cold!

Nobody touched this thread all day, I get a message from you, and another fool at the same time, both of you thanking and rating one another, is the other your lover or your second account? I can see why you would want it to appear as if you have help.
We are unrelated. I guess we just share common points of view. Pure coincidence.

And were we to cover the industrial and commercial roofs within the cities with solar, a large percentage of the cities power would be self supplied.

That's simply not true unless you are in Arizona and similar places with little weather, and high sunlight energy.

Even so, currently solar panels just barely make enough power to meet or exceed the power used in their creation, and the costs per kWh, is still a hundred times higher than conventional power.

We'll know Solar Panels have finally arrived when the solar panel factories disconnect from the power grid, and can run exclusively on the power generated by their own product. Until that happens, I wager the idea of solar powered cities is still a long way off.

Of course you never know. A break through could happen right around the corner. But thus far, drastic increases in PV efficiency has come at massively highers prices. New Cadmium telluride photovoltaics, with high 40% efficiency, come with steep price tags, making them impractical for all but aerospace applications.

I doubt we'll be seeing cities covered in panels any time soon. Just my opinion.
Well Andy, why don't you try backing your opinion with some basic research?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/24/b...-win-on-price-vs-conventional-fuels.html?_r=0

And, also in Oklahoma, American Electric Power ended up tripling the amount of wind power it had originally sought after seeing how low the bids came in last year.

“Wind was on sale — it was a Blue Light Special,” said Jay Godfrey, managing director of renewable energy for the company. He noted that Oklahoma, unlike many states, did not require utilities to buy power from renewable sources.

“We were doing it because it made sense for our ratepayers,” he said.

According to a study by the investment banking firm Lazard, the cost of utility-scale solar energy is as low as 5.6 cents a kilowatt-hour, and wind is as low as 1.4 cents. In comparison, natural gas comes at 6.1 cents a kilowatt-hour on the low end and coal at 6.6 cents. Without subsidies, the firm’s analysis shows, solar costs about 7.2 cents a kilowatt-hour at the low end, with wind at 3.7 cents.

Wind already cheaper than dirty coal, and solar very close to the price of dirty coal. And that is without subsidies, but with coal getting depletion allowances, which is a form of subsidy.

That is not true at all.

Wind power is cheapest energy EU analysis finds Environment The Guardian

Wind power is only cheaper, if you make a bunch of estimates of how much the mythical deaths and health problems due to coal cost, and add that into the cost of coal power.

Yes, if I just make up a bunch of mythical costs, and add them to the cost of coal, the cost of coal power will be higher than wind.

But in reality, when Germany shut down their nuclear plants, they didn't build wind turbines, they built coal power plants.

Coal Returns to German Utilities Replacing Lost Nuclear - Bloomberg Business

This is the reality over the leftist myths.

As far as Solar, yes the COST of solar has gone down, drastically. It's gone down, because the Chinese have flooded the market, and in the process, they have produced crap solar panels that are failing in just 2 years.

You want facts instead of opinion? Follow your own advice.

Liar, one solar panel putting out less than 200 watts can run your house? Yea, if you use an ice chest to keep your food cold. A refrigerator uses 600 watts.

So smart you are.

Jaajaja , of course not !
My fridge uses 410 kwh per year !!
That's 1.13 kwh per day , which means my fridge is actually the energy hog in my household, consuming 37% of the electricity.

So smart you are.

Yeah, he's said this a number of times, that he barely uses any power at all. I have to assume he doesn't actually have a refrigerator. Certainly not A/C. Maybe he lives out of his car or something, I'm not sure.

A basic computer home office setup, would use more power than that kit would provide, unless he's running to the library to post this.

I have to assume this guy is a hobbit. Because no average American would use so little power. And if he is a modern day hobbit, that's fine... but his views on energy supply are largely irrelevant to the rest of us in the non-hobbit world.

So smart you are.

Yeah, he's said this a number of times, that he barely uses any power at all. I have to assume he doesn't actually have a refrigerator. Certainly not A/C. Maybe he lives out of his car or something, I'm not sure.

A basic computer home office setup, would use more power than that kit would provide, unless he's running to the library to post this.

I have to assume this guy is a hobbit. Because no average American would use so little power. And if he is a modern day hobbit, that's fine... but his views on energy supply are largely irrelevant to the rest of us in the non-hobbit world.

My fridge uses about 1.3 kwh. I also have a washing machine , but I use it only once per week. All the light bubs are energy saving , I have a led tv which I use on ocasion, a laptop which runs with less than 30 W, and a microwave oven ( another energy hog , which I do use about 3 minutes a day,).

I am outside most of the time, but during one month I was jobless, and my energy consumption barely moved ( I think it wen't up by 25%, mostly because I used the laptop more time ).

So smart you are.

My fridge uses about 1.3 kwh. I also have a washing machine , but I use it only once per week. All the light bubs are energy saving , I have a led tv which I use on ocasion, a laptop which runs with less than 30 W, and a microwave oven ( another energy hog , which I do use about 3 minutes a day,).

I am outside most of the time, but during one month I was jobless, and my energy consumption barely moved ( I think it wen't up by 25%, mostly because I used the laptop more time ).

I call Bull Shit..
1.3kwh is 1,300 watts per hour at 120 Volts. Your 137 watts 24 volt array can only supply 137/24 = 5.7 Amps @ 24 volts or 1.14 amps @ 121 Volts. In other words your math is severely lacking as is your understanding of how these systems work.

Solar Power Destroys Miles and Miles of Desert

How do you destroy a desert?
It begins with ignorance, need an example?
Do they disturb the tumbleweeds and the sand?

You conservatives are a bunch of enviro-whackos!
Yes, they do destroy tumble weeds, which should suggest to you that stuff actually grows in what you erroneously refer to, as sand.

And you think you are the smart one.
Since when do conservatives care about the environment?

There is a big difference between good stewardship and econutterism.. When we drill for oil we clean up and restore the area habitats. When enviro-wackos and left wits make a mess they blame it on others and leave it for others to clean up..

Case in point are the recent gatherings in DC... can you tell which is Conservatives who are responsible for themselves and liberals who dont give a dam and just want to feel good?

trash-and-other-debris-scattered-across-the-national-mall-after-obama-inauguration-ceremony.jpg

Last edited:

So smart you are.

I call Bull Shit..
1.3kwh is 1,300 watts per hour at 120 Volts. Your 137 watts 24 volt array can only supply 137/24 = 5.7 Amps @ 24 volts or 1.14 amps @ 121 Volts. In other words your math is severely lacking as is your understanding of how these systems work.

Oh man , not again!!
Your calculations are wrong because my whole consumption during a day is 3 kwh at most.
The fridge uses 1.3 kwh THE IN THE WHOLE 24 HOURS THAT MAKE A DAY !!
That's 1.3 kwh spread throughout 24 hours ( 1 day ) .
This means it uses 0.054 kwh per hour.
Now , do your math again.

There is a big difference between good stewardship and econutterism.. When we drill for oil we clean up and restore the area habitats. When enviro-wackos and left wits make a mess they blame it on others and leave it for others to clean up..

Case in point are the recent gatherings in DC... can you tell which is Conservatives who are responsible for themselves and liberals who dont give a dam and just want to feel good?

View attachment 36825
Interesting... I was left rather awestruck by the titles below the photographs.
An inaugeration mess?
Seems your spelling skills are on the par of your math skills.

Oh man , not again!!
Your calculations are wrong because my whole consumption during a day is 3 kwh at most.

3 Kilowatts is 3,000 watts. IF the fridge runs 3 hours out of the day that draw is 1,000 watts/hr at 120 volts. The wattage required to operate that device is then 1,000/120=8.3 amps of current draw. Your 137 watt panel can not sustain the draw.

The average refrigerator requires 900 watts running and 1400 watts start-up.. You simply dont have a clue.

Ohm s Law Calculator

Last edited:

View attachment 36825
Interesting... I was left rather awestruck by the titles below the photographs.
An inaugeration mess?
Seems your spelling skills are on the par of your math skills.

Ignore the point and attack the person.... is that you Saul?

Oh man , not again!!

3 Kilowatts is 3,000 watts. IF the fridge runs 3 hours out of the day that draw is 1,000 watts/hr at 120 volts. The wattage required to operate that device is then 1,000/120=8.3 amps of current draw. Your 137 watt panel can not sustain the draw.

The average refrigerator requires 900 watts running and 1400 watts start-up.. You simply dont have a clue.

Ohm s Law Calculator

Ok , let's get the numbers straight:
My initial post talked about using a 300 w solar panel to reduce electric consumption.
Then Elektra posted the kit wich included the rest of the electric equipment.
As per my previous post : The solar panels are ok , but the batteries are what make the technology expensive and not an ecologically sound option.

Now , the number breakdown for the 140kwh per month( I noticed the kit was more expensive than the separate pices) :
KWH per month : 140
Panels 1000
Inverter 2000
Charge controller 607
Combiner 100
Batteries ( 4 ) 3200
Total 6907

Lifespan : 20 years
Cost per year 345.35
Cost per month 28.7
kwh cost 0.20

So once agin , if you just use the panel to reduce your consumption from the grid it is ok. For off the grid, the batteries still have to get cheaper.

View attachment 36825
It's funny that you believe that crap you get from the nut jobs.

Ok , let's get the numbers straight:
My initial post talked about using a 300 w solar panel to reduce electric consumption.
Then Elektra posted the kit wich included the rest of the electric equipment.
As per my previous post : The solar panels are ok , but the batteries are what make the technology expensive and not an ecologically sound option.

Now , the number breakdown for the 140kwh per month( I noticed the kit was more expensive than the separate pices) :
KWH per month : 140
Panels 1000
Inverter 2000
Charge controller 607
Combiner 100
Batteries ( 4 ) 3200
Total 6907

Lifespan : 20 years
Cost per year 345.35
Cost per month 28.7
kwh cost 0.20

So once agin , if you just use the panel to reduce your consumption from the grid it is ok. For off the grid, the batteries still have to get cheaper.

SO;
You have 3 - 300 watt panels at 12-18 VDC output
1 - 2,000 watt inverter
4- 1,500 amp/hr batteries

On a good day you will produce 700 watts of power from your 900 watt rated panels. The internal battery resistance of four parallel linked batteries is 16 ohms at 15 volts with a combined output of 6,000amp hours. Charge time is 6 hours in full sun using a standard charger/battery conditioner.

At 1500 watt draw on your inverter you will draw 235 amps from your batteries which will deplete in 7-9 hours to 45% at which point the inverter will shut down. They could go much monger under lower draw amounts. it will not power a 220v stove, oven, dryer, water heater,or other item.

This makes a little more sense.. but certainly not worth the expense when grid electricity is 0.04 - 0.12 Cents per kwh.

IF you wanted to increase your productivity of your system I would add a 500 watt wind turbine, which will give charge in cloudy days under windy conditions when your panels are not producing, provided your home owners association or local zoning laws allow it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back