So I Am in The Grocery Story Today.........(wow)

Yup. Per Emo Phillips:

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!"
He said, "Nobody loves me."
I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"
He said, "Yes."
I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"
He said, "A Christian."
I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?"
He said, "Protestant."
I said, "Me, too! What franchise?"
He said, "Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?"
He said, "Northern Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."
I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.
See if they were Lutheran, they'd have given him a last piece of cake or cookie and apologized before saying 'die heretic'. Oh yah dere hey.

Or it'd have to be 'death by pot luck'.

Real Christians don't believe in gambling, drinking, dancing or Idol worship.
Jesus was a good Jewish man. He went to the marriage at Cana and as is custom at all Jewish weddings... dancing. He also drank wine as per the last supper, made wine at the Marriage in Cana as well. The Jewish people have used gambling for important aspects of their lives in the past with the drawing of lots in the time of Christ and as for Idol Worship, of course, that's the one aspect you do have right. We are not supposed to worship idols, and many times God has destroyed them before the respective pagan faiths.

What you are referring to is more often related to small sects and cults like the quakers, shakers, mennonites and in limited aspects some of the harder nosed denominations like the baptists or Wisconsin Synod Lutherans, Seventh Day Adventists or Assemblies of God.

Know the difference between man made tradition, dogma and God's scripture. The knowledge can be quite liberating and enlightening.

Real Christians don't believe in.... Idol worship.
Excepting Liberal Christians. Witness: Obama.

Years ago we were having lunch with a Baptist minister and his wife. Of course he eventually hit us with the question "so, where do you go to church". I simply said well we don't go to church. And that was the end of it. I figured it was a lot easier than telling him the truth- that I'm Roman Catholic and my wife is Pagan. LOL. *boing*
Kinda like what I do to "Missionaries". No thanks, already saved.

That ends the conversation and they move on. Never have they wanted to progress beyond that. Also, I close the door in their face, nicely.

The Bible to me is as clear as Greek Mythology. Never cared for either, sorry to say.

My religious and spiritual life was changed in the mid 80's when I was given a sign- a communication, from Mary the mother of Christ. Think what you will but it was unmistakable and occured on several different occasions.

But I'll say it again- what can be simpler than the Ten Commandments?
Skip the thousands of pages of fluff and cut to the chase.
What's more important than any message is the willingness to listen and act.
Very few listen these days. Even fewer act.

Years ago we were having lunch with a Baptist minister and his wife. Of course he eventually hit us with the question "so, where do you go to church". I simply said well we don't go to church. And that was the end of it. I figured it was a lot easier than telling him the truth- that I'm Roman Catholic and my wife is Pagan. LOL. *boing*

That ends the conversation and they move on. Never have they wanted to progress beyond that. Also, I close the door in their face, nicely.

The Bible to me is as clear as Greek Mythology. Never cared for either, sorry to say.

My religious and spiritual life was changed in the mid 80's when I was given a sign- a communication, from Mary the mother of Christ. Think what you will but it was unmistakable and occured on several different occasions.

The Ten Commandments are God's law to us. Salvation is not found in the law, but rather condemnation. it's a good thing for it shows us when we fail. Christ came for our salvation and is our bridge to God. No other way can achieve salvation save through Him. All you have to do is accept Him. It's the hardest and easiest thing to do in your life. At least it was for me.

Plus those thousand pages of 'fluff' is really God's love letter to us in many ways. It helps us to know Him and His Character, for when He does need to talk to us, we can know His voice and not be fooled by those who would imitate it. For if the God of the Bible is true, so then is the Accuser and all his help willing and ready to lead us astray.

But yes, you got the basic rule book down. Sort of like having the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Players Guide. You can play D&D. But now there's 100 supplements that make the game so much richer.

The Ten Commandments are God's law to us. Salvation is not found in the law, but rather condemnation. it's a good thing for it shows us when we fail. Christ came for our salvation and is our bridge to God. No other way can achieve salvation save through Him. All you have to do is accept Him. It's the hardest and easiest thing to do in your life. At least it was for me.

Plus those thousand pages of 'fluff' is really God's love letter to us in many ways. It helps us to know Him and His Character, for when He does need to talk to us, we can know His voice and not be fooled by those who would imitate it. For if the God of the Bible is true, so then is the Accuser and all his help willing and ready to lead us astray.

But yes, you got the basic rule book down. Sort of like having the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Players Guide. You can play D&D. But now there's 100 supplements that make the game so much richer.

There's also more to carry you, when times get hard.

That's idiotic. Of course we believe in those things. Which explains our ministry to people who are in the grip of addictions, and our evangelical missions.

Try to apply the language adequately. I think asking you to use it correctly is setting the bar too high.

Jesus was a good Jewish man. He went to the marriage at Cana and as is custom at all Jewish weddings... dancing. He also drank wine as per the last supper, made wine at the Marriage in Cana as well. The Jewish people have used gambling for important aspects of their lives in the past with the drawing of lots in the time of Christ and as for Idol Worship, of course, that's the one aspect you do have right. We are not supposed to worship idols, and many times God has destroyed them before the respective pagan faiths.

What you are referring to is more often related to small sects and cults like the quakers, shakers, mennonites and in limited aspects some of the harder nosed denominations like the baptists or Wisconsin Synod Lutherans, Seventh Day Adventists or Assemblies of God.

Know the difference between man made tradition, dogma and God's scripture. The knowledge can be quite liberating and enlightening.

uscitizen doesn't believe in knowledge, liberty or enlightenment...

There's also more to carry you, when times get hard.
Meh. The Gideons pass out free pocket new testaments with the psalms and proverbs. lightweight and fits in the pocket.

uscitizen doesn't believe in knowledge, liberty or enlightenment...
I was assuming he was being humorous or sarcastic at least. But just in case, I answewred thusly.

Salvation is found in condemnation? I understand that it may give perspective and that it can act as a learning tool, but it's certainly not the path to salvation. Salvation is achieved in the consistent adherence to the Ten Commandments. As for condemnation- it's meted out by fellow man, not by God.

Condemnation is precisely what drove me from Church and Christ. I have found my bridge to God, and it certainly isn't through Christ. As for God's "love letter" it reads more like a Dear John letter.

i thought he meant condemnation is found in the ot, while salvation is in the nt....

Ot events prepared us for the coming of Christ. I had someone tell me once that one of the purpose of the OT is to illustrate for us that man alone cannot attain a sin free state, no matter how many chances he's given, or how God proves himself. Which prepares us for the grace of God through Christ...

The Ten Commandments basically tell people what not to do. The Beatitudes tell people what to do.

Salvation is found in condemnation? I understand that it may give perspective and that it can act as a learning tool, but it's certainly not the path to salvation. Salvation is achieved in the consistent adherence to the Ten Commandments. As for condemnation- it's meted out by fellow man, not by God.

Condemnation is precisely what drove me from Church and Christ. I have found my bridge to God, and it certainly isn't through Christ. As for God's "love letter" it reads more like a Dear John letter.
I guess you're not really catholic then if you reject Christ.

I don't see the real difference between the Catholics and the Protestants. ( Well, except for those statures of Mary and Jesus.......)

The Pope declare something sinful, or righteous or exist or not, then in a couple of years the Protestants starting repeating what the Pope said!

Whats the point of starting a different brach of christianity if you are going to believe exactly what the Catholics believe? Why not stay abreast of "Christian issues" and become Catholic!

and this nice lady in front of me and I somehow get into a discussion regarding religion.

She asked me what church I went to - and I told her, I was Catholic - went to St. XXXX's Catholic Church.

She says, "Oh, I used to be one of those (Catholics) - I am a Christian now."

Wow - dear God, Wow!!!

That's actually how many protestants and most evangelical/fundamentalists think about it. It dates back to Martin Luther and the reformation.

You can't very well found a new church with yourself as the head without discrediting the old one, can you?

When I was in high school, my boyfriend for about a year was an Irish/Catholic guy. My mom was mortified, and wondered--often--why I couldn't date a nice Christian boy.

But, if I were going to be religious, I'd probably go to Catholic services. I love the historicity and symbolism of the mass, even though (or perhaps because) I grew up Southern Baptist.

Last edited:
Again, they consider them to not be Christian based upon the Catholic practice of using intermediaries.

Forum List

Back