So a private citizen can’t pick and choose who they want to live with?

I think you missed the point.

I got his point. And I tore it to pieces.

And are red herrings like BET and the Congressional Black Caucus really relevant here?

they sure as fuck are relevant, I like to point out selective racism.

I guess I fail to see what BET has to do with room mates. On that note, show me a job application at BET that states "Whites need not apply," and I'll accept your argument.

A civil rights complaint has been filed against a Grand Rapids woman who posted an advertisement at her church last July seeking a Christian roommate.
“The statement “expresses an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths,” according to the complaint filed by the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan.
“It’s a violation to make, print or publish a discriminatory statement,” Executive Director Nancy Haynes told Fox News. “There are no exemptions to that.”
Haynes said the unnamed 31-year-old woman’s alleged violation was turned over to the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Depending on the outcome of her case, the Christian woman could face several hundreds of dollars in fines and “fair housing training so it doesn’t happen again.”
“This is outrageous,” said attorney Joel Oster, with the Alliance Defense Fund. His organization is representing the woman free of charge. “Clearly this woman as a right to pick and choose who she wants to live with.”
Oster said he’s sent a letter to the state asking them to dismiss the case as groundless.
Christians shouldn’t live in fear of being punished by the government for being Christians,” he said. “It is completely absurd to try to penalize a single Christian woman for privately seeking a Christian roommate at church–an obviously legal and constitutionally protected activity,”
But Haynes said they plan on pursuing the matter.
“We want to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” she said.
The person who filed the initial complaint apparently saw the ad on the church bulletin board.
It included the words, “Christian roommate wanted” along with her contact information. Had the ad not included the word “Christian,’ she said it would not have been illegal.
“If you read it and you were not Christian, would you not feel welcome to rent there?” Haynes asked.
Rest here>>>

what non christian would be dumb enough to resopont to that ad?
Living with a bible thumper?

So she can't chose who she wannts to live with?

Government compels her to sublet to anyone?

She can choose, but to be "politically correct", you just can't state in writing who you choose. It's dumb, huh?

It's dumb to you.

Would you like to see in big letters in an ad, "Easy going dudes looking for black room mates only"?
I bet you would feel pretty shitty. You would probably cry up a shitstorm, and make a discrimination case, because that's how the double standard works.

In a civilized society, there are limits to what is socially acceptable to say or do. Any adult with half a brain knows that there are consequences to using free speech irresponsibly. She is more than free to make her ad the way that she did. In this litigious society, she is getting sued for it. That's the American Way ®, so you should all be very happy!

Guess what, you don't go to a cocktail party dressed in mechanics coveralls, chewing tobacco, and making redneck jokes. You don't advertise that you want a room mate who is of your preference. It's not socially acceptable, and it's laughable that you are making this a "political correctness" issue. There's a time and a place for everything, and a classified add is not it.

Socially acceptable and government intervention are not the same thing, unless where you live you can be prosecuted for wearing mechanic's coveralls to a cocktail party.

Ame®icano;2876021 said:
You're not allowed to talk about it. Nor about BET. :)
I've seen white people on BET. Again, if you feel discriminated against by the idea of BET, maybe you should sure them :lol:

I BET you could see dead people too... :)
I don't know what do you mean:"you should sure them"...

Ame®icano;2876021 said:
I guess if she asked for female roommate, she'd be discriminating all men?
Actually, that could be argued in a court of law. The fact that you would even ask that shows your true ignorance.:lol:

Ignorance about what?

So she can't chose who she wannts to live with?

Government compels her to sublet to anyone?

She can choose, but to be "politically correct", you just can't state in writing who you choose. It's dumb, huh?

It's dumb to you.

Would you like to see in big letters in an ad, "Easy going dudes looking for black room mates only"?
I bet you would feel pretty shitty. You would probably cry up a shitstorm, and make a discrimination case, because that's how the double standard works.

This may surprise you, but your thin-skinned hypersensitivity to such things is NOT universal to other people. I daresay most mature adults wouldn't give a rat's ass about such an ad, much less "feel shitty" about it.

In a civilized society, there are limits to what is socially acceptable to say or do. Any adult with half a brain knows that there are consequences to using free speech irresponsibly. She is more than free to make her ad the way that she did. In this litigious society, she is getting sued for it. That's the American Way ®, so you should all be very happy!

It's the American way to cry and throw tantrums and file lawsuits because a complete stranger has requirements for a roommate that you don't happen to meet? That's not the American way. That's the kindergarten way.

Guess what, you don't go to a cocktail party dressed in mechanics coveralls, chewing tobacco, and making redneck jokes.

You mean you also sue people for dressing inappropriately at cocktail parties?

You don't advertise that you want a room mate who is of your preference. It's not socially acceptable, and it's laughable that you are making this a "political correctness" issue. There's a time and a place for everything, and a classified add is not it.

Yes, whyever would it be socially acceptable to use an advertisement for a roommate to specify what kind of roommate you want, in order to not waste people's time? How rude of her, to want to expedite the process for everyone, rather than weaseling around, being PC?

Exactly where IS the time and place for basic honesty, in your opinion?

Go make a court case about it if you feel that strongly. It is the American Way ® I've seen white people on BET. Again, if you feel discriminated against by the idea of BET, maybe you should sure them :lol:
I guess if she asked for female roommate, she'd be discriminating all men?
Actually, that could be argued in a court of law. The fact that you would even ask that shows your true ignorance.:lol:

we're making our case here bitch, same as you are. you pretty freaking bossy ain't ya?
If all else fails, ad hominem. :lol::lol::clap2:

I have a difficult time agreeing with you that encouraging deception is a good thing.

Encouraging deception? I disagree. Stating that you want a room mate is not deception. If meeting prospective room mates, and then deciding who is an acceptable choice is what you would consider "deception," then I guess every person who has ever chosen a room mate is devious in your book.

There's a point during adolescence when most people realize the world isn't black and white. Then there are those few who never quite grasp that concept. I'm supposing you are in the latter group.

whiney freaking bitch ain't ya?
Sand in your clit, eh?
I have a difficult time agreeing with you that encouraging deception is a good thing.

Encouraging deception? I disagree. Stating that you want a room mate is not deception. If meeting prospective room mates, and then deciding who is an acceptable choice is what you would consider "deception," then I guess every person who has ever chosen a room mate is devious in your book.

There's a point during adolescence when most people realize the world isn't black and white. Then there are those few who never quite grasp that concept. I'm supposing you are in the latter group.

If you don't understand how it encourages deception then you're either being deceitful, or you're a fucking retard.
The fact that you think it "encourages" deception shows that your fucked up moral compass needs adjusting.:cuckoo:
She only wants a roommate that is Christian.
Good for her. By being HONEST about it, she has opened herself up to a lawsuit.
No, by not following the clearly stated laws and regulations, she opened herself up to a lawsuit.
The clear lesson here to anyone reading the story is that if you're looking for a Christian roommate, you damn well better fucking LIE about it or else!
No, the clear story is follow the LAW like anyone else would.

Get it, twatstick?
From your sordid world, there is nothing to get.

As a true Christian, she is required to follow the law.

Romans 13:1-2 tell us to be in subjection to the superior authorities even as we are to God. further, we are to be in relative subjection to kings and governors as they have their positions due to God's allowance. (1Peter 2:13-17)

Last edited:
Government can compel you to live with people you don't want to live with?

Not yet, but it can apparently force you to waste whole bunches of your time and theirs interviewing people you have no intention of renting to because you're not allowed to specify what you're looking for so that they can focus on ads that actually pertain to them.

And somehow, this is considered more polite and well-mannered. Curious.

hey Ozdouche,

learn to use the fucking quote feature already. :lol:

And yes, only a liar or a dumbass can't see that this case encourages deception.

It's dumb to you.

This may surprise you, but your thin-skinned hypersensitivity to such things is NOT universal to other people. I daresay most mature adults wouldn't give a rat's ass about such an ad, much less "feel shitty" about it.

It's the American way to cry and throw tantrums and file lawsuits because a complete stranger has requirements for a roommate that you don't happen to meet? That's not the American way. That's the kindergarten way.

Guess what, you don't go to a cocktail party dressed in mechanics coveralls, chewing tobacco, and making redneck jokes.

You mean you also sue people for dressing inappropriately at cocktail parties?
You're a moron.
You don't advertise that you want a room mate who is of your preference. It's not socially acceptable, and it's laughable that you are making this a "political correctness" issue. There's a time and a place for everything, and a classified add is not it.

Yes, whyever would it be socially acceptable to use an advertisement for a roommate to specify what kind of roommate you want, in order to not waste people's time? How rude of her, to want to expedite the process for everyone, rather than weaseling around, being PC?
I see! It's about expediting the process! "We're not going to waste your time by letting you come and eat at our restaurant, we don't like your kind around here and it's socially acceptable for us to deny you service!" Do you know what kind of socially acceptable attitudes led to these laws you now bitch about? Fuck what she considers "socially acceptable."

Exactly where IS the time and place for basic honesty, in your opinion?

How honest is honest? There is a time and place for everything. Should I just go to every woman I see and say "I want to raw dog you in the closet?"

hey Ozdouche,

And yes, only a liar or a dumbass can't see that this case encourages deception.

That's your best comeback? The quote feature? No wonder your dumb ass supports this woman.:lol::lol::lol::clap2:

Government can compel you to live with people you don't want to live with?

Not yet, but it can apparently force you to waste whole bunches of your time and theirs interviewing people you have no intention of renting to because you're not allowed to specify what you're looking for so that they can focus on ads that actually pertain to them.

And somehow, this is considered more polite and well-mannered. Curious.

And the jerk in this thread who believes it won't even man up and say it directly.

A civil rights complaint has been filed against a Grand Rapids woman who posted an advertisement at her church last July seeking a Christian roommate.
“The statement “expresses an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths,” according to the complaint filed by the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan.
“It’s a violation to make, print or publish a discriminatory statement,” Executive Director Nancy Haynes told Fox News. “There are no exemptions to that.”
Haynes said the unnamed 31-year-old woman’s alleged violation was turned over to the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Depending on the outcome of her case, the Christian woman could face several hundreds of dollars in fines and “fair housing training so it doesn’t happen again.”
“This is outrageous,” said attorney Joel Oster, with the Alliance Defense Fund. His organization is representing the woman free of charge. “Clearly this woman as a right to pick and choose who she wants to live with.”
Oster said he’s sent a letter to the state asking them to dismiss the case as groundless.
Christians shouldn’t live in fear of being punished by the government for being Christians,” he said. “It is completely absurd to try to penalize a single Christian woman for privately seeking a Christian roommate at church–an obviously legal and constitutionally protected activity,”
But Haynes said they plan on pursuing the matter.
“We want to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” she said.
The person who filed the initial complaint apparently saw the ad on the church bulletin board.
It included the words, “Christian roommate wanted” along with her contact information. Had the ad not included the word “Christian,’ she said it would not have been illegal.
“If you read it and you were not Christian, would you not feel welcome to rent there?” Haynes asked.
Rest here>>>

what non christian would be dumb enough to resopont to that ad?
Living with a bible thumper?

What idiot would be dumb enough to post that ad?
Within 5 minutes of talking to this person on the phone, a non-Christian could easily determine that this bitch is not worth the time of day. However, it is not acceptable for her to discriminate in ads. Get over it you hysterical nutcases.:cuckoo::lol::lol: (not you specifically)

So if none of you think her ad was discriminatory, then all of you must agree that BET and the Congressional Black Caucus are not discriminatory either.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

hey Ozdouche,

That's your best comeback? The quote feature? No wonder your dumb ass supports this woman.:lol::lol::lol::clap2:

Post an honest argument and maybe they'll be something of substance to respond to.

Insisting that forcing this woman to lie in order to not run afoul of the law isn't forcing her to lie in order to not run afoul of the law is seriously fucking stupid... even for you.

hey Ozdouche,

Post an honest argument and maybe they'll be something of substance to respond to.

Insisting that forcing this woman to lie in order to not run afoul of the law isn't forcing her to lie in order to not run afoul of the law is seriously fucking stupid... even for you.

Stating that she wants a room mate is not lying or going afoul of the law. Stating what she stated went against the law. Go back to school and get a moral compass, jackass.:lol::lol::lol:

And there were ways to word it that would have been within the law, and still given them impression that she only wanted Christian room mates.:lol:

Forum List

Back