Single vs Married

Single men wish they were married, Married men wish they were dead!:lol:

Some truth to that.

It is interesting! Single and married men usually are jealous of eachother. One of my best friends is single. We make about the same money. However, he has a ton saved. He got a nice but modest home. I had to buy much more expensive home. He can buy toys, like a nice BMW, motorcycle, new golf clubs, a Plasma TV etc. I rarely get toys for myself. When he wants to take a trip, he takes it. When I do I must save for it and plan for it. He eats at nice restaurants, I eat where there are specials! I had to give up my Bears season tickets, he was able to upgrade them! He dates many different women. I have just one.

However, he comes home to an empty house. He wishes he had a son to take to those Bears games he has tickets for. The trill of the hunt on the bar scene is getting old for him. In his mid-30s he is becoming the creepy old guy!

There is plus in minus. Again single guys wish they were married, married guys wish they were dead!

Some truth to that.

It is interesting! Single and married men usually are jealous of eachother. One of my best friends is single. We make about the same money. However, he has a ton saved. He got a nice but modest home. I had to buy much more expensive home. He can buy toys, like a nice BMW, motorcycle, new golf clubs, a Plasma TV etc. I rarely get toys for myself. When he wants to take a trip, he takes it. When I do I must save for it and plan for it. He eats at nice restaurants, I eat where there are specials! I had to give up my Bears season tickets, he was able to upgrade them! He dates many different women. I have just one.

However, he comes home to an empty house. He wishes he had a son to take to those Bears games he has tickets for. The trill of the hunt on the bar scene is getting old for him. In his mid-30s he is becoming the creepy old guy!

There is plus in minus. Again single guys wish they were married, married guys wish they were dead!

You do have a point however things are changing, with our surging divorce rates more and more men in their 30s and 40s are finding themselves single for the first time so your friend is not alone. My dad is 54 and is now single.

Some truth to that.

You do have a point however things are changing, with our surging divorce rates more and more men in their 30s and 40s are finding themselves single for the first time so your friend is not alone. My dad is 54 and is now single.

Very true. My brother and sister-in-law are both divorced in their 40s!

Some truth to that.

hahaha

That is so true...I have found that many dissatisfied, married, middle aged men seem to think they are perceived by the opposite sex as sexy 20-something studs and forget that the pickings are mighty slim out there for the average middle aged joe with kids, a mortgage, receding hairline and pot belly.

That doesn't change the way they act, though, lol.

Well... I had fun being single but I planned on being married and raising some children. It was what I always planned to do..

Now my sister on the other hand, got married, had children, got divorced and just loved being single...

Eh... I guess it comes down to what makes you happy...

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.

--Spock in 'Amok Time'

I got married the first time when I was 22. I stayed in the first marriage for 13 years and then got divorced because of the first wife's infidelity. After the divorce, I was "single" for over 6 years and then remarried. I've been married to the second wife now for 19 years. I am happily married at this time. The thing is this. Your personal happiness is what you choose to make it. You can be happy or you can be miserable. It all depends on you and how you choose to live your life. Nobody is more responsible for your own personal happiness than you are. Other people do not cause you to be happy or sad. How you react to the bumps in the road of life depends on how fast you want to travel down that road. Slow down for the bumps and then hammer down. Life is much too short to live it unhappily.

I have been married Anachronism and I really don't believe in it anymore, besides our society just wants to keep having fun and everyone wants to live like they are 22 for the rest of their life. When I got a divorce I slept with a few divorcees in their 40's who were going out every night looking for a man in his 20s to sleep with and they wanted no real relationship, they had been married for about 20 years and had kids almost my age, they had no interest in men their age, I met ALOT of women like this in California. It is alot easier, cheaper, and more mentally stable to be a bachelor than married thats for sure.

So you believe it's an outdated concept and should basically be done away with on a societal level?

"You cannot capture happiness no matter how much you chase after it. Happiness is something that follows you; it follows your positive actions."

What do you say to those of us who don't believe that Happiness is the goal of Life in general or relationships specifically?

I have been married Anachronism and I really don't believe in it anymore, besides our society just wants to keep having fun and everyone wants to live like they are 22 for the rest of their life. When I got a divorce I slept with a few divorcees in their 40's who were going out every night looking for a man in his 20s to sleep with and they wanted no real relationship, they had been married for about 20 years and had kids almost my age, they had no interest in men their age, I met ALOT of women like this in California. It is alot easier, cheaper, and more mentally stable to be a bachelor than married thats for sure.

So you believe it's an outdated concept and should basically be done away with on a societal level?

"You cannot capture happiness no matter how much you chase after it. Happiness is something that follows you; it follows your positive actions."

What do you say to those of us who don't believe that Happiness is the goal of Life in general or relationships specifically?

I believe it is out dated, look at the divorce rates in this country they are through the roof, I think the biggest problem is it is way too easy to get married but very hard to get divorced. If you make marriage a difficult process like divorce is, only the serious people would do it and the divorce rates would plummet, people would be hesitant to leave something they have so much invested in, I paid only $20 to get married but around $1200 to get a divorce.

I believe it is out dated, look at the divorce rates in this country they are through the roof, I think the biggest problem is it is way too easy to get married but very hard to get divorced. If you make marriage a difficult process like divorce is, only the serious people would do it and the divorce rates would plummet, people would be hesitant to leave something they have so much invested in, I paid only $20 to get married but around $1200 to get a divorce.

While I understand and see your point, in my mind it's a societal issue, not as much a financial one. I am for making it both more difficult to get married (licensing, counseling, time parameters, etc....) and for making it damn near impossible to get a divorce without good cause (infidelity, assault, etc...). I'm also for making the at-fault individual pay, regardless of what gender they are.

While I understand and see your point, in my mind it's a societal issue, not as much a financial one. I am for making it both more difficult to get married (licensing, counseling, time parameters, etc....) and for making it damn near impossible to get a divorce without good cause (infidelity, assault, etc...). I'm also for making the at-fault individual pay, regardless of what gender they are.

Thats a good idea.

Extending Human Life: Progress and Promises | LiveScience

A study earlier this year led by Linda Waite, a sociologist at the University of Chicago, showed that happily married couples tend to live longer than unwed individuals. Married men were found to live, on average, 10 years longer than non-married men, and married women lived about four years longer than non-married woman.

I have read that married men live longer than unmarried men but I really find that hard to believe especially having been married myself, the married life is definently 10X more stressful than being single.

Wives generally feed men better than they feed themselves, and they are sticklers about things like checkups and taking one's medication..

Marriage is not outdated. It fell out of fashion to truly commit to a relationship sometime in the 70s-80s. At about the same time, a pervasive belief that marriage was PRIMARILY about providing a lifetime of giddy elation to the adult parties, and if that (fantasy) level of joy did not exist, the marriage was not valid, infected our society.

The result is people get married for the wrong reasons, and run at the first sign of trouble.

Marriage is a method by which stability is afforded to families and children. When it is viewed as a partnership not just of individuals but families, or even as a business merger, it becomes more apparent what it should be. You have to look at it as a way to advance the FAMILY..whether that's adults and children, just adults, or just the new family of the married couple. It isn't about adding to what exists already, it's about creating a new entity.

Wives generally feed men better than they feed themselves, and they are sticklers about things like checkups and taking one's medication..
Marriage is not outdated. It fell out of fashion to truly commit to a relationship sometime in the 70s-80s. At about the same time, a pervasive belief that marriage was PRIMARILY about providing a lifetime of giddy elation to the adult parties, and if that (fantasy) level of joy did not exist, the marriage was not valid, infected our society.

The result is people get married for the wrong reasons, and run at the first sign of trouble.

Marriage is a method by which stability is afforded to families and children. When it is viewed as a partnership not just of individuals but families, or even as a business merger, it becomes more apparent what it should be. You have to look at it as a way to advance the FAMILY..whether that's adults and children, just adults, or just the new family of the married couple. It isn't about adding to what exists already, it's about creating a new entity.

Good points Allie....

I've never been married. I wouldn't mind being married (to the right person), but I have no trouble with being single until I find that right person (who I'm not sure even exists).

I don't believe there is any single "right" person to marry.

There are many people to marry and they range from: "wildly wrong to marry" up to probably okay to marry if you're feeling lucky and willing to work very hard at being married."

Happily ever after only happens in fairy tales.

Well, I'm one fortunate Dude then... I'm living a fairy tale, I guess.

I am not married to a woman.
But I have a 'new' partner and so far I like her and I'm going to give her a real chance unlike the other ones before her. I have to study her a little bit more if she's worth it before I really open up. At the moment it's just a casual relationship to serve my needs.

When I met my wife.. I really didn't have to make a choice.. I wanted her in every way..

I don't miss being married.
I don't have to cook dinner at any set time any more.
I don't have to sleep in a bed and have to share it and being woke up with a boner poking me in the back.
I don't have to answer to anyone any more.
I don't have to worry about hugging him and the hands automatically go to my tits or ass and him thinking it's a come on when all I wanted to do was just hug him.
I don't have to stress over any more phone calls because he got another dui and is sitting in a jail cell.
I don't have to be hurt any more when he's schnozzed and tells me hurtful things.

But I miss miss marriage in some ways.

Well... I had fun being single but I planned on being married and raising some children. It was what I always planned to do..

Now my sister on the other hand, got married, had children, got divorced and just loved being single...

I have been single for awhile.... it has been fun but I am ready to settle down. I want to know I have someone to come home to and I want a family unit for my son. I am glad I got to experience my 20's single, but I am 30 now and I want to settle down, maybe not married but something serious.

I have been single for awhile.... it has been fun but I am ready to settle down. I want to know I have someone to come home to and I want a family unit for my son. I am glad I got to experience my 20's single, but I am 30 now and I want to settle down, maybe not married but something serious.

I hope the best for you...

My first marriage left me shaken but I always wanted to be married and have kids..

After the 1st marriage and gaining full custody of my daughter it took a good 4 years to finally find my wife... I was reasonably choosy and I really can't say I found perfection but darn close to it...

Single. Not old enough/financially secure enough to get married.

Though I did just get out of a relationship. I hate it when people smoke, and she lied to me about it.... so I left her.

Forum List

Back