Should Welfare Be Abolished?

I'm gonna weigh in and agree with the 2 year max for social security. But there are going to be cases where getting work (legal immigrants with no English, for example) is going to be very hard. I think there should be a safety net (stricter than the SS applications) for making sure no U.S. citizen or their progeny is starving to death within the borders.

I remember when Reagan was likening welfare to all the people he saved in his youth while lifeguarding; he was struck by how everyone he saved wasn't greatful at all, they were resentful of him. His reasoning was that people don't want a helping hand. He applied this train of thought to welfare. Now, obviously that's not true. Some people depend on welfare, BUT some people abuse welfare, which is why it's a flawed system. But I think the analogy was lacking in that the conclusion he must have drawn from his incredulity was...what? Let them drown. Which is where it ties back in to the last sentence of my first paragraph.

I guess I'm saying there has to be drastic changes in the system, but complete abolishment might be too drastic for the good of the people.

Also, Big D, what is the point of your insistently pointing out the demographic breakdown of welfare?

nakedemperor said:
I'm gonna weigh in and agree with the 2 year max for social security. But there are going to be cases where getting work (legal immigrants with no English, for example) is going to be very hard. I think there should be a safety net (stricter than the SS applications) for making sure no U.S. citizen or their progeny is starving to death within the borders.

I remember when Reagan was likening welfare to all the people he saved in his youth while lifeguarding; he was struck by how everyone he saved wasn't greatful at all, they were resentful of him. His reasoning was that people don't want a helping hand. He applied this train of thought to welfare. Now, obviously that's not true. Some people depend on welfare, BUT some people abuse welfare, which is why it's a flawed system. But I think the analogy was lacking in that the conclusion he must have drawn from his incredulity was...what? Let them drown. Which is where it ties back in to the last sentence of my first paragraph.

I guess I'm saying there has to be drastic changes in the system, but complete abolishment might be too drastic for the good of the people.

Also, Big D, what is the point of your insistently pointing out the demographic breakdown of welfare?
Although I know he's banned, I just can't help replying: what the hell does social security have to do with welfare????? They are two different programs funded for entirely different reasons.

"But just 7 percent of Hispanic single mothers have gone off welfare."

All things being equal this number would be the same as every other group.
So something isn't the same. Asking "why" isn't wrong.

How about this :

Welfare recipients go on the "list" which employers can use as a labor force and deduct 100% or 110% of their pay as a tax break. Companies get workers for free in effect. Workers get on the job training. Dollars come from capitalists not tax funds. If there really are people who just plain don't want to work, they don't get paid.

Truly dysfunctional and disabled people are not welfare recipients, they are SSI benificiaries.

I still like the old saying... "give the man a fish, you feed him for a day". "Teach the man to fish, you feed the man for life".

Welfare is like "giving the man a fish". You feed him for a day. Welfare doesn't actually do anyone any favors. These people need to learn how to fish.

Two years of welfare, and then you PAY BACK what you've been given, and you're on your own. Use the two years wisely.

One way of making welfare more humane would be to yank it from the feds or even states and have individual communities support their poor. That way, there would be more face-to-face reality. There would be more shame from those who were ripping off the system. In other words, everyone would know WHO was on welfare and whether they really needed it. If the community didn't want to support someone who was lazy, they wouldn't have to.

nakedemperor said:
To show how mexicans and blacks are the majority of people on welfare.

Because he's a racist who's trying to prove that blacks and hispanics are a blight on society. I just think they need to stop letting the libs tell them they're victims.

Hobbit said:
Because he's a racist who's trying to prove that blacks and hispanics are a blight on society. I just think they need to stop letting the libs tell them they're victims.
Ya, thats the ticket, it's the "libs" fault.

This statement by Hobbit is perfect proof of how many people do not view blacks as human.

Forum List

Back