Should Welfare Be Abolished?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by HGROKIT, Aug 11, 2004.

1. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks Jackass!

Well people, what do you think? Should welfare be abolished?

IMO, I like the two year limit deal. There are/were too many "Professional" welfare recipients out there. I mean only in America do we pay people NOT to work.

OK - Hang on! :D

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Nah, I'm with you, 2 year max! I am not talking about truly disabled, children, and elderly-but if you can work, you should. I like the 'earned income tax break' though I know many here won't. People do need incentives and perhaps time to get their salaries up.

3. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Sure limits..No problem, after all we are compassionate people, for the most part.

As far as the "Earned income CREDIT" being an incentive, Ms. K. It's not, it's a giveaway of other peoples money. Really it is. Why try an make more money when the credit allows a check every year GREATER than what you put in the pot?

4. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    What is the "earned income credit" you are talking about?

I agree with time limits. I mentioned in another post that 2 years and $4000 to go back to school and get the skills you need to work should be incentive enough (plus a monthly check, childcare and benefits ie: medical, dental, and bus pass). There are exceptions, but for the average person, this should be like a dream come true. For some reason it isn't?

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    2 years in a lifetime should be more than enough, and even then you should be looking for work while receiving welfare.

6. lilcountriegal

lilcountriegal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The problem with the 2 year max rule is that there are loopholes through the whole thing. There are so many ways to get around that and professional welfare recipients know that. From my understanding, you get 2 years of welfare "work free", after that 2 years, you can still continue receiving aide as long as you prove you are "actively looking for employment". Its pretty easy to dupe job applications, 'apply' for positions that one isnt qualified, and/or say "no thank you" when a prospective employer calls.

There's much more than just the "cash". Right after my daughter was born, I was unemployed and went to the welfare office to apply for Medical care for her... they tried to talk me into signing up for cash benefits (I only wanted medical care for her)... you get a $200 clothing allowance while looking for work, another $200 clothing allowance should you accept a position somewhere... they will actually give you $1,000 car allowance to go toward the purchase of a car should you live outside the reaches of city transportation (which I did). Those are just two off the top of my head... the whole system just reeks.

I think it should be abolished completely (I'm with whoever said in the other thread, public organizations provide great help... stick with them). If not abolished, then something needs done about the loopholes.

7. Big D

Big D Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hispanic Mothers Stay On Welfare In N.Y.C.

Although white and black single mothers have moved off New York City welfare rolls in droves over the past three years, the proportion of Hispanic single mothers receiving public assistance has declined very little, authorities report.

Since 1995, the number of white single mothers on welfare has fallen 57 percent, and 30 percent fewer black single mothers receive benefits.

But just 7 percent of Hispanic single mothers have gone off welfare.

New York City's welfare rolls are now 5 percent white, 33 percent black and 59 percent Hispanic -- with more Hispanic parents receiving public assistance there than in Miami, Los Angeles or the entire state of Texas.

While Puerto Ricans still make up the majority of Hispanics on welfare, the number of Dominican immigrants receiving assistance doubled between 1990 and 1996, according to census data.

http://www.ncpa.org/pi/welfare/pdwel/pdwel75b.html

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    and that has nothing to do with the thread. Question is your opinion on welfare.

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I agree with everything you said.....more than fair but in order for people to see it as a glass half full as opposed to empty will take time as the mind set has to be changed from one of it's owed to me to one of Im very gratefull for this once in a lifetime opportunity to get my life together and start taking care of myself. Not an easy transformation for some in society to make.

10. Big D

Big D Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well my opinion is that we are having a problem with welfare today because minority's abuse the system.