Should Welfare Be Abolished?

8236 said:
Well the blind can learn Braille can't they ;)

Private organisations for welfare? Would they be profitable? Would you like to be a shareholder? We had them in the UK 100 years ago: They were called 'The Workhouse'. Go read some Dickens. If that's the kinda place you wanna live - stepping over the dead corpses and abandoned babies in the street - well... eh... move to 3/4 of the rest of the world. You'd be bound to make a fast buck, handing out 'welfare'.

Of course they wouldnt be profitable. thats the point of non profitable organizations. to help out people who need it.

Mr. P said:
Sure limits..No problem, after all we are compassionate people, for the most part.

As far as the "Earned income CREDIT" being an incentive, Ms. K. It's not, it's a giveaway of other peoples money. Really it is. Why try an make more money when the credit allows a check every year GREATER than what you put in the pot?

Then make it worth people's while to work...pay them a living wage rather than the farcical minimum wage which hasn't been adjusted beyond inflation for decades.

Putting people to work is always the best solution, but only so long as they can live on what they earn.

winston churchi said:
Two years...no extra money just because you added yet another child to the 'family'...sorry.
I do think welfare should assist in further education....but keeping to that two years....helping you find a job...just have one in two years....and you have to wait at least two more years before you can back on it again...but only after much paperwork....
Too many people are lazy in this country...what a sorry life huh? Just sit around and collect money from the tax payer...how sad??? What on earth would they say about you when you finally die??- Well, at least he ate....

Oh and you have to be a citizen of this country - no citizenship - no money.

Or we could be more like singapore...now there is a route to try huh?

I've been to Singapore...Beautiful city, but a nice little totalitarian state in its own right.

Bullypulpit said:
Then make it worth people's while to work...pay them a living wage rather than the farcical minimum wage which hasn't been adjusted beyond inflation for decades.

Putting people to work is always the best solution, but only so long as they can live on what they earn.

I view the min. wage somewhat like welfare. It's a safety net. It's enough to live on.
No, it's not enough to live the American dream on, but it shouldn't be a career choice.
Which it is for many people. We don't need to make it and attractive choice.

I have a better Idea. Instead of demanding an increase in the min. wage.
Lets Insist (by keeping the min., min.) that the individual get an education
or trade training so that they can make more than the min. wage. Allow that individual
to decide if it's worth it or not. That IMO would be much better for society overall.

Something I think the left fails to grasp is that there are people out
there that choose to live at the bottom of society. There are also many that started
at the bottom and rose to a higher level. Some folks just have no drive or desire
to move up. Changing the wage will not move them from the bottom
but only rise the bottom, which really has no benefit for the country.

That would solve most of the EIC
problem too, under the current tax system. I think the Natioal sales tax
would eliminate it altogether.

Mr. P said:
I view the min. wage somewhat like welfare. It's a safety net. It's enough to live on.
No, it's not enough to live the American dream on, but it shouldn't be a career choice.

or trade training so that they can make more than the min. wage. Allow that individual
to decide if it's worth it or not. That IMO would be much better for society overall.

there that choose to live at the bottom of society. There are also many that started
at the bottom and rose to a higher level. Some folks just have no drive or desire

Well Said........It's called entry level, and everyone has done that to start. the whole point of educating yourself is move yourself up the ladder, that's all minimum wage was intended for.

Bonnie said:
Well Said........It's called entry level, and everyone has done that to start. the whole point of educating yourself is move yourself up the ladder, that's all minimum wage was intended for.

Get some work experience, a good reference then move on to another better paying job. People who change careers have to do this sometimes, having some prior work experience is better than nothing. At leat potential employers will see you know how to show up on time.

Bullypulpit said:

I see, but if I CAN'T make enough, then why bother because Uncle Sam will take care of me right? Bully, that's pathetic.

One of the most challenging and controversial issues facing the child welfare system is the disproportionate representation of ethnic minority children and families, particularly African-American children. Specifically, the percentage of African-American children who enter the system and remain in out-of-home care is greater than their proportion of the country’s population (Anderson, 1997). Although African-Americans account for 15% percent of all children in the United States, they account for 25% of substantiated maltreatment victims. Conversely, Caucasian children (79% of the child population versus 51% of all substantiated victims) and Asian and Pacific Islander children (4% of the population versus 1% of substantiated victims) are underrepresented among victims of child maltreatment. Hispanic children account for an equal share of the population and substantiated victims (NCANDS, 2002). Racial disparities are even more pronounced in out-of-home care. African-American children comprise 45% of the total number of children in foster care.
http://nccanch.acf.hhs.gov/pubs/otherpubs/children/litreview.cfm

Big D said:
One of the most challenging and controversial issues facing the child welfare system is the disproportionate representation of ethnic minority children and families, particularly African-American children. Specifically, the percentage of African-American children who enter the system and remain in out-of-home care is greater than their proportion of the country?s population (Anderson, 1997). Although African-Americans account for 15% percent of all children in the United States, they account for 25% of substantiated maltreatment victims. Conversely, Caucasian children (79% of the child population versus 51% of all substantiated victims) and Asian and Pacific Islander children (4% of the population versus 1% of substantiated victims) are underrepresented among victims of child maltreatment. Hispanic children account for an equal share of the population and substantiated victims (NCANDS, 2002). Racial disparities are even more pronounced in out-of-home care. African-American children comprise 45% of the total number of children in foster care.
http://nccanch.acf.hhs.gov/pubs/otherpubs/children/litreview.cfm

Are you REALLY a MORON!! or do you just play one on tv? What the hell does that post have to do with this thread?

*Waiting my whippin by a MOD*

Mr. P said:
Are you REALLY a MORON!! or do you just play one on tv? What the hell does that post have to do with this thread?

unless you break the rules, no whipping is on it's way.

Mr. P said:

Well I think that if you going to talk about abolishing welfare, we should see who it will effect the most. The government site that upset you talks about who, how and why people are on welfare.

Example:
There has been a persistently strong relationship between poverty and minority status in the United States. Specifically, African-American and Hispanic children are more than twice as likely to live in poverty as non-Hispanic white and Asian-Pacific Islander children (U.S. Bureau of the Census, 2001). Almost one third of African-American (30%) and Hispanic (28%) children live in poverty, while the rates are much lower for white (10%) and Asian- Pacific Islander (12%) children.

I personaly believe that blacks and hispanics will never achive the economic success of other groups due to the low intelligence levels.
:blsmile:can you help me?

HGROKIT said:
Thanks Jackass!

Well people, what do you think? Should welfare be abolished?

IMO, I like the two year limit deal. There are/were too many "Professional" welfare recipients out there. I mean only in America do we pay people NOT to work.

OK - Hang on! :D

Two year limit, and then you have to PAY BACK what they've given you.

Big D said:
Well I think that if you going to talk about abolishing welfare, we should see who it will effect the most. The government site that upset you talks about who, how and why people are on welfare.

Example:
There has been a persistently strong relationship between poverty and minority status in the United States. Specifically, African-American and Hispanic children are more than twice as likely to live in poverty as non-Hispanic white and Asian-Pacific Islander children (U.S. Bureau of the Census, 2001). Almost one third of African-American (30%) and Hispanic (28%) children live in poverty, while the rates are much lower for white (10%) and Asian- Pacific Islander (12%) children.

I personaly believe that blacks and hispanics will never achive the economic success of other groups due to the low intelligence levels.
:blsmile:can you help me?

Can I help you? Well, I'll tell ya, from what I've seen you post so far,
I doubt anyone can help you. Sorry bout that. But some folks are just beyond help. But maybe your Grand wizard can council you...Or maybe you can visit
Mr. Venable if he's still alive. Good luck in you recovery.

Wanna go farther start another thread..I'll even give ya directions
to the Ole KKK Grand wizards house
in Stone Mountain Georgia if ya like.
But I'll not continue directing this thread off topic.

Mr. P said:

Sorry, but minimum-wage is not enough to live on, unless you're some pimply-faced kid who still lives at home with mom and dad.

As for your educational alternatives, nice idea, but try and get the politicoes to fund them. And funding for schools, from elementary to colllege, is tighter than ever before since Dubbyuh rammed a tax-cut for his political pimps and johns through Congress.

Bullypulpit said:
Sorry, but minimum-wage is not enough to live on, unless you're some pimply-faced kid who still lives at home with mom and dad.

As for your educational alternatives, nice idea, but try and get the politicoes to fund them. And funding for schools, from elementary to colllege, is tighter than ever before since Dubbyuh rammed a tax-cut for his political pimps and johns through Congress.
I guess that depends on your definition of live. Minimum wage is certainly enough to live on.

And what the heck ever happened to families taking care of their own. I doubt everyone on welfare is an orphan. What are their parents doing? What about their grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings, children, etc.????? Where the hell are they during all this?

Sorry, I have very little sympathy for people who want the government and everyone else to bear the burden of their existence. Pick yourself up off the damn floor and get a job! If you lack skills, get them. If you haven't got any, don't have kids.

How simple does it need to be to be understood...

Bullypulpit said:

this is wrong on a few levels.

1)Pimply faced kids who live at home with mom and dad are the ones making minimum wage. Those older already have work experience and can demand more money. Hence the whole point of the mimimum wage, so that skilled union workers can point to it and say i deserve more than that.

2)How about you just fund your own education? Most institutions offer loans or grants or how about you just work your way through or qualify yourself for a scholarship? Why should we force American people to pay for something you arent willing to get off your ass to work for to begin with?

3)Tax cuts are speeding up the economy so that the people you seem to care about so much can actually find work, which wouldnt be a problem if we didnt have these artificial minimum wages inflating the economy.

Bullypulpit said:
It's not supposed to be - frankly.

Bullypulpit said:

So then if my Education idea is okay, but won't work unless it's massively funded by Government, how do you explain all the folks that have climbed the latter with less Government spending, Luck?

Are you saying we must spend more? Sure you are...Why? It hasn't been working...in case you didn't notice.

As far as minimum wage not being enough to live on...That depends on how many hours you work..and whether you want to lift yourself above the bottom rung..Just ask anyone who has done it...They'll tell ya..it wasn't the, this program or that one,
it was ME that did it, I did it!

Forum List

Back