Should the US government be promoting “mental health awareness” - Andrew Tate and Candace Owens urging men and women to reject antidepressants

Link?

Oh, here's one: Is There a Link Between Mental Health and Mass Shootings?

The reality is that people with mental illness account for a very small proportion of perpetrators of mass shootings in the U.S., says Ragy Girgis, MD, associate professor of clinical psychiatry in the Columbia University Department of Psychiatry and the New York State Psychiatric Institute.
Whilst he is likely full of shit, your link is really not saying anything either. Specifically:

"Mass murder has generally been defined as the unlawful killing of four or more individuals, excluding the perpetrator(s), within one event, in one location. In 2013, the US Congress proposed the alternative parameter of three or more victims (Douglas, Burgess, Burgess, & Ressler, 2012; Krouse & Richardson, 2015)."

The term 'mass shooter' when used colloquially is not the same as used in the research. Many of these 'mass shootings' are going to be perpetrated by gang violence usually against other gangs. The public discourse, however, on the subject does not care or have any connection with that type of shooting. What people are generally talking about when they refer to a mass shooting are the major news stories of single shooters gunning down innocents for what seems like no reason or because of some extremist views such as the aurora shooting, the recent nightclub shooting or the Vegas shooter. These 2 types of shooting are fundamentally different and require different approaches, have different underlying causes and bear no resemblance to each other in any way shape or form.

This is also an international analysis. I am somewhat incredulous that we can compare mass violence like this between very different nations. For instance, how many of these mass shootings were in nations under political upheaval? It would be nonsensical to include them in an analysis of mass shootings and then apply that analyses to any US shootings. They simple do not have any underlying connections that would inform us of anything useful.

Whilst he is likely full of shit, your link is really not saying anything either. Specifically:

"Mass murder has generally been defined as the unlawful killing of four or more individuals, excluding the perpetrator(s), within one event, in one location. In 2013, the US Congress proposed the alternative parameter of three or more victims (Douglas, Burgess, Burgess, & Ressler, 2012; Krouse & Richardson, 2015)."

The term 'mass shooter' when used colloquially is not the same as used in the research. Many of these 'mass shootings' are going to be perpetrated by gang violence usually against other gangs. The public discourse, however, on the subject does not care or have any connection with that type of shooting. What people are generally talking about when they refer to a mass shooting are the major news stories of single shooters gunning down innocents for what seems like no reason or because of some extremist views such as the aurora shooting, the recent nightclub shooting or the Vegas shooter. These 2 types of shooting are fundamentally different and require different approaches, have different underlying causes and bear no resemblance to each other in any way shape or form.

This is also an international analysis. I am somewhat incredulous that we can compare mass violence like this between very different nations. For instance, how many of these mass shootings were in nations under political upheaval? It would be nonsensical to include them in an analysis of mass shootings and then apply that analyses to any US shootings. They simple do not have any underlying connections that would inform us of anything useful.
So where's that link backing up your hilarious claim that 7 out of 10 mass shooters were on SSRI's?

I never made that claim and I specifically noted what I thought of it:
My apologies. It was Failzero who made the claim. You stepped into our conversation.

I notice Failzero has vanished since I asked him to back up his ridiculous claim.

My apologies. It was Failzero who made the claim. You stepped into our conversation.

I notice Failzero has vanished since I asked him to back up his ridiculous claim.
Sandy Hook ( SSRIs ) Colorado Theater Shooter (SSRIs ) Guy who shot the Arizona Politician ( SSRIs ) ...

Which one would expect considering it typically takes someone that is mentally unstable to perform a mass shooting.

So you have to go from correlation to causation. 10 out of 10 mass shooters also had 2 arms. 10 out of 10 mass shooters wear pants. Neither are indications of a mass shooter. Mental illness may well be an indication but the use of SSRI being an indicator would need to be decoupled from mental illness first to establish that it is the indicator rather than what SSRIs are attempting to treat.
The one thing they had in common SSRIs

If I gave you 20 more you would still get snarky and dismiss it ( BTW the Nutjob who shot Chris Kyle was on SSRIs
until you can actually link the drugs to the cause you got nothing millions take that medication retard but we don't have millions of shootings now do we?

Forum List

Back