Should the federal trials against Donald Trump be televised?

Tom Paine 1949

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2020
Here is an interesting question: Would the “Founding Fathers,” were they alive today, advocate an open (today that would mean televised) trial? Would that be in the best interests of the country?

Donald Trump’s lawyer has reportedly requested this, and our very Conservative Supreme Court may eventually rule on it. I believe it is a very good idea, even though such Federal Trials are by custom not televised.

We will have millions of Americans following the important D.C & Florida cases via their favorite media “spin doctors” in any case. We have seen there is virtually no possibility of a national consensus developing this way.

But a courtroom trial before a jury is very different, since both sides can present arguments and evidence (which the Judge can control for “relevance”) and the prosecution and defense cases are not made primarily to reinforce the political prejudices of an uninformed audience, but to convince jurors who in the course of the trial will hear abundant testimony, evidence and arguments from both sides.

Whatever the trial outcome, an open televised trial in my opinion will be an important way to educate viewers.

Here is an interesting question: Would the “Founding Fathers,” were they alive today, advocate an open (today that would mean televised) trial? Would that be in the best interests of the country?
The Founding Fathers would throw the case out. Further, the Founding Fathers devised a vote that was not questioned. They had paper ballots, people only voted once.

This never would of happened, in 1876.

Yes.jpg

Yes of course. America is known for transparency, rule of law, equal justice etc. This is a former president so of course you should televise it. i guarantee you that every network will want it. Don't become like other nations who only pretend to support justice.

It keeps being repeated that "noone is above the law or receives special treatment" which is why they are pursuing Trump. Why would his trial receive special treatment then?

Last edited:
The Founding Fathers would throw the case out. Further, the Founding Fathers devised a vote that was not questioned. They had paper ballots, people only voted once.

This never would have happened, in 1876.
Actually, the “Founding Fathers” proved they were not of any single opinion on such matters. The Federalists in 1798 got Congress to pass the notorious “Alien & Sedition Acts” which restricted free speech, freedom of the press, immigration and were aimed at deporting “trouble-makers.”

They were also aimed at Jeffersonians who were then considered too friendly to the French Revolution. These Acts were repealed [or allowed to lapse] when Jefferson was elected President. Almost all historians support the Jeffersonian democrats on this matter today.

Of course “free speech,” and the Bill of Rights in those days were generally much more limited in their application (the Bill of Rights then only applied to the weak Federal government and not to the States). Thomas Jefferson himself was a major slave-owner, and slaves (and their descendants) enjoyed virtually no rights at all. The vote was highly restricted to white male property owners.

The “free press” was also already in those days becoming infected by “party partisanship” and filled with slander and misinformation. I earlier created a thread specifically about this matter, highlighting the views of Thomas Paine & Thomas Jefferson:

On the History (and abuse) of “Free Speech” and “Liberty of the Press”

Last edited:

Donald Trump’s lawyer has reportedly requested this, and our very Conservative Supreme Court may eventually rule on it. I believe it is a very good idea, even though such Federal Trials are by custom not televised.

We will have millions of Americans following the important D.C & Florida cases via their favorite media “spin doctors” in any case. We have seen there is virtually no possibility of a national consensus developing this way.

But a courtroom trial before a jury is very different, since both sides can present arguments and evidence (which the Judge can control for “relevance”) and the prosecution and defense cases are not made primarily to reinforce the political prejudices of an uninformed audience, but to convince jurors who in the course of the trial will hear abundant testimony, evidence and arguments from both sides.

Whatever the trial outcome, an open televised trial in my opinion will be an important way to educate viewers.
I don’t like the idea of lawyers playing to the cameras. I think it interferes with the focus of the trial.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back