Should the Democrats run this ad?

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
DemocracyForAmerica.com » This is your decision ? Vote Now

Dr. Phillip Butler is a veteran and a former prisoner of war at the “Hanoi Hilton” with Sen. McCain. He knows the real McCain. Now he has shot a 30 second ad with our friends at Brave New Films to make sure Americans hear the truth.

Click on the ad to see it for yourself

This is your decision. We think this is a voice that needs to be heard and a discussion of John McCain’s temperament and judgment that America needs. But before we commit to action we need to hear from you.

I say YES!!!

But what does his temperment as a POW have to do with anything today?

It's not just his temperment as a POW as many can attest. John McCain is well known on the Senate floor for having a terrible temper, there are Senate hearings which you could probaly find where he yells, screams and curses at those who disagree with him.

I'm torn between think it's a good idea to run it because as bobo pointed out, we've lost two elections based on not fighting back BUT the bigger picture wuold demand that this ad NOT be shown. Not because it's false but because it's akin to Kerry being swiftboated in 2004.

If there were more than one POW who had served with McCain I might be more inclined but the GOP will rip this guy a new one.

The obama campaign is in a VERY difficult position.

If they attack McCain they are attacking an old man

If they attack Palin they are attacking a woman

and the GOP will whine and cry about it until it pisses people off, even though they've been doing the exact same thing.

ultimately we have to hope that Obama is right and that the American people AREN'T stupid.

I'm not so sure at this point which makes me both sad and afraid.

ultimately we have to hope that Obama is right and that the American people AREN'T stupid.

We can hope. But don't be too disheartened. It's a split electorate, which we all knew and McCain's slight...very slight... post convention bump appears to come from previously undecided voters. Sawah Bawwacuda helped him solidify the rabid rightwingers... that was to be expected.

Zogby International

It's not just his temperment as a POW as many can attest. John McCain is well known on the Senate floor for having a terrible temper, there are Senate hearings which you could probaly find where he yells, screams and curses at those who disagree with him.

I'm torn between think it's a good idea to run it because as bobo pointed out, we've lost two elections based on not fighting back BUT the bigger picture wuold demand that this ad NOT be shown. Not because it's false but because it's akin to Kerry being swiftboated in 2004.

If there were more than one POW who had served with McCain I might be more inclined but the GOP will rip this guy a new one.

The obama campaign is in a VERY difficult position.

If they attack McCain they are attacking an old man

If they attack Palin they are attacking a woman

and the GOP will whine and cry about it until it pisses people off, even though they've been doing the exact same thing.

But since the history of his temperment is well known, and because the American people aren't stupid, I think it would backfire.

But since the history of his temperment is well known, and because the American people aren't stupid, I think it would backfire.

which is why I said it shouldn't be used.....

I'm with jillian, it won't convert anyone from their side and it will only piss off people in the middle.

Obama is on the right track, focusing on the issues and tying McCain to Bush.

DemocracyForAmerica.com » This is your decision ? Vote Now

Dr. Phillip Butler is a veteran and a former prisoner of war at the “Hanoi Hilton” with Sen. McCain. He knows the real McCain. Now he has shot a 30 second ad with our friends at Brave New Films to make sure Americans hear the truth.

Click on the ad to see it for yourself

This is your decision. We think this is a voice that needs to be heard and a discussion of John McCain’s temperament and judgment that America needs. But before we commit to action we need to hear from you.

I say YES!!!
Tough call but I don't think it's the right approach. I'd rather see veteran groups attack McCain on his voting record where vet issues are concerned.

I think that if Obama sticks to the issues and attacks the Mccain campaign on the fact that they will reward lobbyists and the fact that business in DC will be "as usual" under a McCain administration and the fact that many of the political handlers that scared the country into 8 years of Bush are also working to put McCain in office, he'll do just fine with the American people in November.

I hope that Obama remains above the personal campaign tactics of the past and continues to hammer on his positive vision for America. I think that if he does this, he'll be handsomely rewarded in November.

-Joe

Terrible idea.

Swiftboat Vets worked against Kerry because he went over the top with his "reporting for duty" salutes. It was an accomplishment that could be torn down, especially when there was no victimhood attached to it. This would backfire though, because Mac isn't saying he was a great leader there, but a courageous victim. This makes it very hard to attack his decision making, because it's not like he was George Washington bravely leading men in battle, which is where Kerry was going, but instead in solitary confinement much of the time struggling to survive. Any attack then looks personal, and unrelated to how he would make decisions as a leader.

Plus, with the economy as it is, if the Dems can't win on the issues they need a lot more help than a POW ad can provide.

John McCain is well known on the Senate floor for having a terrible temper

then why not make an ad about that?

attacking John McCain the senator in a temper tantrum is a lot more convincing than attacking John McCain the POW in solitary confinement

I heard Barb Boxer the other day quoting GOP sen Thad Cochran who said "Mac as pres sends a shiver through my spine", referring to his temper.

Obama is not in a difficult position, he should go after Mac's temper, but use recent examples from the senate, not old examples from solitary confinement.

Forum List

Back