Should people with conservative views get into sci fi and fantasy?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
phil-chalmers-1.jpg

This is Phil Chalmers. He goes to schools to talk about teen killers. He says violent video games and movies are creating a generation of killers. His favorite TV shows are reality TV, Sports and Sitcoms. He appears on Fox News. He enjoys stock car racing, MMA, the UFC, NFL Football, and fast cars.

Should people like him broaden their horizons and get interested in a work of sci fi or fantasy? I used to read Tom Clancy and play Call of Duty and Operation Flashpoint but once I finally played Mass Effect at the recommendation of a friend I now crave anything with badass military people, badass spaceships, and awesome space battle scenes!

Whne I was a kid it was cowboys ,indians and soldiers killing each other. Of course the effect wasn't the same on black and white tv and theatre.

It's possible that some people think everything that happens on Fox is worth a post on the political forum. Go ahead and play video games that fantasize about bad-ass space ships. It beats thinking. The post belongs in the media forum anyway.

You say spaceship I prefer the terms stealth attack destroyer and orbital battle cruiser!

No,

Sci-fi is of a future that is very progressive and forward thinking. One space ship that is capable of reaching other planets would mean adding a entire branch to our military at the very least in the case of star fleet. Do you think the conservatives are going to support that?

Most of star trek believes that people shouldn't have to work or die. This is very much against conservative ideals.

Spending ones lives in presuite of knowledge is very much anti-conservative.

No,

Sci-fi is of a future that is very progressive and forward thinking. One space ship that is capable of reaching other planets would mean adding a entire branch to our military at the very least in the case of star fleet. Do you think the conservatives are going to support that?

Most of star trek believes that people shouldn't have to work or die. This is very much against conservative ideals.

Spending ones lives in presuite of knowledge is very much anti-conservative.

Bull shit.

1. It is forward thinking but not progressive at all.
2. People still have freedoms and that goes against progressivism.
3. Conservatives ALWAYS support the military, Democrats are almost always against the military.
4. Everyone on Star Trek has a job. There aren't people sitting around doing nothing and receiving a "living wage"
5. Spending a life in the persuit of knowledge is very much a Conservative principle. The Progressives only want you to know enough to believe the lies they tell you.
6. You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Whne I was a kid it was cowboys ,indians and soldiers killing each other. Of course the effect wasn't the same on black and white tv and theatre.
Same when I was a kid except with the addition of both WWI pilots (on bicycles) and Civil War (Yankees and Confederates).

I never saw American TV until I was seven and within 6 weeks of graduating 1st Grade. I never saw a color tv until my parents took me to their friends house a couple years later. I don't recall when we first owned a color TV, but I do recall that I watched first Star Trek episodes well into the first season in B&W (1967) and don't recall a color episode until 1968.

Same when I was a kid except with the addition of both WWI pilots (on bicycles) and Civil War (Yankees and Confederates).

I never saw American TV until I was seven and within 6 weeks of graduating 1st Grade. I never saw a color tv until my parents took me to their friends house a couple years later. I don't recall when we first owned a color TV, but I do recall that I watched first Star Trek episodes well into the first season in B&W (1967) and don't recall a color episode until 1968.

Happy Trails To You. I still like our games the best. Monopoly, Clue ,Checkers, Spin the bottle, of wait that one doesn't fit here. I played PacMan once in the early 70s though.

Happy Trails To You. I still like our games the best. Monopoly, Clue ,Checkers, Spin the bottle, of wait that one doesn't fit here. I played PacMan once in the early 70s though.
Our games? I'm 60. How old are you? The best game of all is Chess. More ancient than "Monopoly". ;)

Our games? I'm 60. How old are you? The best game of all is Chess. More ancient than "Monopoly". ;)

That the great thing about video games, they come in chess AND Monopoly (and Halo, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fallout, Dragons Age...etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP has a valid point here, I hesitate to agree. We aren't talking about pokemon or candy crush. Games that dehumanize and make killing fun and create strategies and tactics to slaughter people. Young minds are impressionable, and I find it hard to believe they don't influence kids in a negative way. And these people tend to be addicted to such games, as much as a gambler or any other form of addiction.

Forum List

Back