Should people with conservative views get into sci fi and fantasy?

tumblr_o3mikg8MtQ1v7gl6to2_540.gif

Badass gunships!

Sign of a small mind is feeble attempts to use big words.

How old are you, anyway?
He was obviously joking.

OTOH, it's fascinating that you think "spaceship" and "destroyer" are "big words". How old are you?

Sign of a small mind is feeble attempts to use big words.

How old are you, anyway?
He was obviously joking.

OTOH, it's fascinating that you think "spaceship" and "destroyer" are "big words". How old are you?

Funny you did not quote the one word I considered "big" for someone like JakeWillis92 was "orbital".

I used to watch and enjoy Science fiction, but then I realized that while the Universe maybe full of other civilizations, humans must be the stupidest. No matter how far humans go or whoever comes from other worlds, the non-humans all speak flawless English.

Why can't humans learn languages of others in the Universe?

Will we ever see a movie in which the communication between humans and others will be in a language other than English?

Would not understand them, you say? Don't have to. I enjoy opera even though I don't speak the language in whit it is sung.

BTW I am 77. And the above is tongue-in-cheek.

Correction, chess used to be the best game ever. It's been ruined by popularity. Playing chess has become a nearly ubiquitous hobby, with most playing like peasant slobs. Erratic and nonsensical, obsessed with cheap one line tactics that give them a chubby, determined to play through chaos and luck.
Chess is chess. It's the same game it always was. What people choose to do with it is their choice. What I choose to do with it is my choice. It's an inanimate object incapable of anything until a human being does something with it. You know, like a hammer, a shovel or a gun.

Okay. You are missing my point. The game sucks anymore because nobody actually plays real chess. Chess is a strategy game. What we have nowadays is millions of people playing cheap tactics. It takes hours of sifting through moron to get 10 minutes chess that's worth my spit.

I went to school with a guy who used to play chess with his older brother without a board, remembering their own and their opponents moves. The older brother usually, but not always, won.

At one time the great Soviet grand master, Petrossian, visited our city and played simultaneously against 30 opponents, including the older brother, who was the only one who was not beat by the Grand Master.

Later he, himself became a Grand Master of Chess. His name is Lajos Portisch.

Funny you did not quote the one word I considered "big" for someone like JakeWillis92 was "orbital".
You think "orbital" is a big word? Interesting.

Do you have a tiff with JakeWIlls92 because your attack on him seems silly unless it's you getting revenge for a past perceived wrong. I don't agree with revenge, but it's a common human emotional point of view.

Re Languages; movies and television have to tell a story usually in 2-1 hour or less. It's easier if they don't have to explain how explorers learn different languages or have translators. In fact, an early point onf Star Trek was their communicators automatically translated foreign/alien languages. For storytelling purposes, we just see the aliens speaking English.

Speaking of Star Trek, the use of the transporter was also a device thought up to speed up the action so they didn't have to show a ship landing and taking off the planet all the time.

You think "orbital" is a big word? Interesting.

Do you have a tiff with JakeWIlls92 because your attack on him seems silly unless it's you getting revenge for a past perceived wrong. I don't agree with revenge, but it's a common human emotional point of view.

Re Languages; movies and television have to tell a story usually in 2-1 hour or less. It's easier if they don't have to explain how explorers learn different languages or have translators. In fact, an early point onf Star Trek was their communicators automatically translated foreign/alien languages. For storytelling purposes, we just see the aliens speaking English.

Speaking of Star Trek, the use of the transporter was also a device thought up to speed up the action so they didn't have to show a ship landing and taking off the planet all the time.

How "big" a word is, is inversely proportional to the frequency of its usage.

Tell me, honestly, when was the last time you used "orbital" in everyday conversations? If you are an engineer or brain surgeon, all bets are off.

I have no bone to pick with JakeWillis92, past or present, just fascinated by the fact that a grown person is "craving" to play some childish video game.

BTW do you like opera?

How "big" a word is, is inversely proportional to the frequency of its usage.

Tell me, honestly, when was the last time you used "orbital" in everyday conversations? If you are an engineer or brain surgeon, all bets are off.

I have no bone to pick with JakeWillis92, past or present, just fascinated by the fact that a grown person is "craving" to play some childish video game.

BTW do you like opera?
Bullshit.

Rarely, but it's a common word in reading such as the recent orbital insertion of Juno into Jupiter's orbit. That aside, you are fucking dodging. Orbital is not a big word. What compelled to you to attack a person over the word "orbital"? It's silly.

JakeWIlls92 's post mentioned nothing about a video game. Hence, dispite your disclaimer, I think you have something more than the quote against him.
You say spaceship I prefer the terms stealth attack destroyer and orbital battle cruiser!

Not an opera aficionado, but some music appeals to me such as "O Fortuna" from "Carmina Burana".

FWIW, I don't trust liars or bullshitters. If someone lies or bullshits me, face-to-face or faceless on the Internet, I don't trust them. They've burned a bridge of trust and it's up to them to rebuild that bridge, not me. If you are really 77, you should know this to be sound wisdom.

Last edited:
No,

Sci-fi is of a future that is very progressive and forward thinking. One space ship that is capable of reaching other planets would mean adding a entire branch to our military at the very least in the case of star fleet. Do you think the conservatives are going to support that?

Most of star trek believes that people shouldn't have to work or die. This is very much against conservative ideals.

Spending ones lives in presuite of knowledge is very much anti-conservative.

STFU you racist you know absolutely nothing about conservatives. All your posts are nothing but partisan nut job BS.

No,

Sci-fi is of a future that is very progressive and forward thinking. One space ship that is capable of reaching other planets would mean adding a entire branch to our military at the very least in the case of star fleet. Do you think the conservatives are going to support that?

Most of star trek believes that people shouldn't have to work or die. This is very much against conservative ideals.

Spending ones lives in presuite of knowledge is very much anti-conservative.
Wrong. I'm Conservative and I have around 500 Sci-Fi books on my computer and I've read everyone of them, some more than once.

Commercial use of space is a very Conservative ideal. Goverment control and regulation is at the Liberal end.

Forum List

Back