Should middle school students be allowed to wear leggings at school?

Should leggings be allowed to be worn as pants in public middle schools?

• Yes

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters
It is currently a dress code violation for students to wear uncovered leggings at public schools and many parents have been complaining about it. What are your thoughts about dress code rules in public schools?

Dress codes increase violations and lead to suspensions. It's the dumbest crap I have ever seen.
School is for learning. Its not a fashion show. Kids should learn to follow the rules for the environment they are in. If this increases violations and suspensions then that means someones parents are not doing their job.

That's a whole lot of should, Asclepisas. The world should do a lot of things. They don't though. The reality is that some of these kids are stuffing shoes with plastic bags to make the shoes fit. They aren't going to be able to have enough money to clean those clothes in the middle of the week and the name of the game is to keep kids in school. The only group of people this serves is the adults that can pretend nothing is going on. There are bigger arguments to have.
I went to catholic school for 4 years. My parents bought me 5 pair of pants, 5 shirts and 3 sweaters. I was responsible for washing my clothes and frankly I made sure I washed them because there was no way I was going to go to school with dirty clothes on. This washing was done on Sunday morning without fail. If for some reason the uniform had to be washed during the week my mother did it which made me feel like crap since she worked so hard already. The uniforms are less expensive than just wearing regular clothing which is a benefit to low income households like ours was. What benefits do you see in letting kids wear what they want?

If you attended a Catholic school then that is a different ball game.

First, the uniforms in public schools are part of a larger program of zero tolerance--which is a bunch of crap.

Not everyone owns a washer and dryer. There are parents who wash the clothes on payday but don't have enough money to wash clothes until the next payday. The kid either is so humiliated he doesn't attend school or gets bounced because he is not in compliance with the code and is still too humiliated to explain why unless you dig for information. AND you are able to dig without embarrassing the kid. Some parents, and I use that term loosely, don't make it a priority and they just suck meanwhile the kid still gets code violations and gets bounced.

Pick and choose your battles. There are kids that have dealt with serious trauma and they can't see a future. Getting them to walk through the door let alone participate in class is a battle.

So, what do kids get out of wearing what they want? The pretense they are expressing their individuality. They have clothes they are comfortable in. The clothing can be used as a bargaining chip. I dealt with a kid that had a red faux hawk and facial piercings. His mom told him he could wear what he wanted and could have facial piercings (but could not have his ears gauged or have tattoos) providing he didn't get high and remained on the honor roll.
How is it different because I attended a catholic school? I mainly attended public schools. I distinctly remember the need to be up on my fashion in public schools. It was a large part of the social order. Thats why I know its better to have uniforms.

I dont understand what being a larger part of zero tolerance has to do with what I am saying? Regardless of what it is part of the benefits of requiring a uniform outweigh any other negatives you feel are part of it.

We didnt own a washer and dryer. We couldnt afford it. The tuition for catholic school didnt allow it. We had to go to laundrymat or wash at home in the tub and air dry. I was never too humiliated to attend school. It was an escape from racist cops and gang bangers. Besides the drug dealers in my neighborhood stayed on my ass to stay in school.

Kids like you mentioned, the at risk children, were at a different school. I can tell you from experience a structured disciplined environment is critical for them if they are ever going to have a chance at succeeding in society. Without those structured environments the prison system is the next one they will encounter. If you look at the success of the NOI with their schools you can see how requiring a uniform is so impactful.

Last edited:
Dress codes increase violations and lead to suspensions. It's the dumbest crap I have ever seen.
School is for learning. Its not a fashion show. Kids should learn to follow the rules for the environment they are in. If this increases violations and suspensions then that means someones parents are not doing their job.

That's a whole lot of should, Asclepisas. The world should do a lot of things. They don't though. The reality is that some of these kids are stuffing shoes with plastic bags to make the shoes fit. They aren't going to be able to have enough money to clean those clothes in the middle of the week and the name of the game is to keep kids in school. The only group of people this serves is the adults that can pretend nothing is going on. There are bigger arguments to have.
I went to catholic school for 4 years. My parents bought me 5 pair of pants, 5 shirts and 3 sweaters. I was responsible for washing my clothes and frankly I made sure I washed them because there was no way I was going to go to school with dirty clothes on. This washing was done on Sunday morning without fail. If for some reason the uniform had to be washed during the week my mother did it which made me feel like crap since she worked so hard already. The uniforms are less expensive than just wearing regular clothing which is a benefit to low income households like ours was. What benefits do you see in letting kids wear what they want?

First, the uniforms in public schools are part of a larger program of zero tolerance--which is a bunch of crap.

Not everyone owns a washer and dryer. There are parents who wash the clothes on payday but don't have enough money to wash clothes until the next payday. The kid either is so humiliated he doesn't attend school or gets bounced because he is not in compliance with the code and is still too humiliated to explain why unless you dig for information. AND you are able to dig without embarrassing the kid. Some parents, and I use that term loosely, don't make it a priority and they just suck meanwhile the kid still gets code violations and gets bounced.

Pick and choose your battles. There are kids that have dealt with serious trauma and they can't see a future. Getting them to walk through the door let alone participate in class is a battle.

So, what do kids get out of wearing what they want? The pretense they are expressing their individuality. They have clothes they are comfortable in. The clothing can be used as a bargaining chip. I dealt with a kid that had a red faux hawk and facial piercings. His mom told him he could wear what he wanted and could have facial piercings (but could not have his ears gauged or have tattoos) providing he didn't get high and remained on the honor roll.
How is it different because I attended a catholic school? I mainly attended public schools

I dont understand what being a larger part of zero tolerance has to do with what I am saying? Regardless of what it is part of the benefits of requiring a uniform outweigh any other negatives you feel are part of it.

We didnt own a washer and dryer. We couldnt afford it. The tuition for catholic school didnt allow it. We had to go to laundrymat or wash at home in the tub and air dry. I was never too humiliated to attend school. It was an escape from racist cops and gang bangers. Besides the drug dealers in my neighborhood stayed on my ass to stay in school.

Kids like you mentioned, the at risk children, were at a different school. I can tell you from experience a structured disciplined environment is critical for them if they are ever going to have a chance at succeeding in society. Without those structured environments the prison system is the next one they will encounter. If you look at the success of the NOI with their schools you can see how requiring a uniform is so impactful.

With a Catholic school, a uniform is expected. I encountered the non washer/dryer multiple times in Chicago and the surrounding areas. Schools can't be run like little kiddy prisons. They are already structured.

Dress code crackdown suspends 150 students, brings criticism

About 10 years ago, maybe longer, the NAACP kicked out a report called the School to Prison pipeline. Dress code violations is one of the absolute nonsense violations kids encounter. that leads to them being suspended.
Thats an administrative problem not a dress code problem.

It's a BS problem that is encountered over and over again. It's part and parcel of the Zero Tolerance crap.

How is it different because I attended a catholic school? I mainly attended public schools

With a Catholic school, a uniform is expected. I encountered the non washer/dryer multiple times in Chicago and the surrounding areas. Schools can't be run like little kiddy prisons. They are already structured.
A uniform should be expected in public school as well. Requiring a uniform is not the same as a kiddy prison. It teaches discipline, teaches unity, and takes the focus off having a fashion show.

About 10 years ago, maybe longer, the NAACP kicked out a report called the School to Prison pipeline. Dress code violations is one of the absolute nonsense violations kids encounter. that leads to them being suspended.

It's a BS problem that is encountered over and over again. It's part and parcel of the Zero Tolerance crap.
It doesnt have to be part of zero tolerance. I agree thats idiotic. Youre basically blaming a method for being bad instead of the idiots implementing the method in a stupid manner.

A uniform should be expected in public school as well. Requiring a uniform is not the same as a kiddy prison. It teaches discipline, teaches unity, and takes the focus off having a fashion show.

It changes nothing. The kids mirror their parents who are seeking status in any way, shape or form.

It doesnt have to be part of zero tolerance. I agree thats idiotic. Youre basically blaming a method for being bad instead of the idiots implementing the method in a stupid manner.

Oh, you have no idea how much I blame the idiots implementing this.

`
Leggings for public middle school? I think not. I rather favor an adherence to a flexible dress code. Most males look like shit in them anyways.

It changes nothing. The kids mirror their parents who are seeking status in any way, shape or form.
Seeking status is a part of life that all people do and kids typically mirror their parents. School should be an environment where at least your clothing doesnt give away your status. One less thing to distract from learning.

Seeking status is a part of life that all people do and kids typically mirror their parents. School should be and environment where at least your clothing doesnt give away your status.

As if nobody knows? Now it's back to appeasing the adults.

Seeking status is a part of life that all people do and kids typically mirror their parents. School should be and environment where at least your clothing doesnt give away your status.

I disagree. Its about providing one less thing for kids to stress over. I've seen the kids with parents that couldnt afford the latest high priced clothes.

I disagree. Its about providing one less thing for kids to stress over. I've seen the kids with parents that couldnt afford the latest high priced clothes.

That's ok. As for me, it's purely to appease the adults. It does jack all for the kids and in many ways is detrimental.

It's like watching middle schoolers wearing gang colors. You want to see that. You want to see what you have on your hands. You want to know who these kids are. The other kids do.

That's ok. As for me, it's purely to appease the adults. It does jack all for the kids and in many ways is detrimental.

It's like watching middle schoolers wearing gang colors. You want to see that. You want to see what you have on your hands. You want to know who these kids are. The other kids do.
I dont want to see middle schoolers wearing gang colors. I already know who these kids are. I dont need to see their clothes. I grew up in the same environment so its easy for me to see.

The bigger problem in a co-ed school is the reasons behind the clothing choices.
I had to chuckle upon reading that sentence. I did because the thought that came to mind when I read it is that if there is a problem with anyone's -- minors and adults -- sartorial choices, it derives from the reason they made the choices they did. There are far too many reasons and choices to enumerate, but one example that fairly well summarizes the gamut of the reasons is found in the photo-meme below.

64732e2c439c5d74b4f179da3f3f89cf--ghetto-funny-funny-pix.jpg

Quite simply, a major problem is that folks think they look good wearing "A" when the reality is that their body just isn't a "A-appropriate" body. And let's be honest, why would anyone willfully leave their house not on a stretcher and looking bad, that is to say, looking either like they don't own a mirror or like someone other than they is whom they see upon looking in the mirror?

Aside:
If you like clothes, it behooves you to stay fit because when you are, you won't look bad wearing anything that fits, but when you're obese, that you can fit in the garment doesn't mean it fits you.
-- My wife​
My wife delivered that statement in a conversation explaining to our daughter why she, like her brothers, was required to do aerobics and weight training.

As a pre-teen, our daughter wasn't keen on having to hit gym. As a high school senior and now woman, there's no denying she revels in the fact that she heeded the advice her mother gave her. She absolutely loves the fact that she's grown into being "Hollywood hot" woman, as we teasingly refer to her looks and shape. It took a few years of "bitching and moaning" for her to get on board with working out; however, now, she works-out seven days a week. LOL

FWIW, my wife and I had one overarching goal, to raise our kids so that upon becoming adults, the world would, as much as possible, truly be their oyster. While part of that has to do with career and related matters, an equally material part of it rests in the social sphere, which is why we taught/required our kids to get fit and stay that way. Now that they're all grown, whether they maintain that, to what extent, and/or for how many years into the future they do/don't is their choice. As far as I'm concerned, I am content that they "entered the world," so to speak, having no material deficits. I think as a parent that is about all one can reliably do for one's kids.​

True dat, I suppose. But my thought when I posted that is from the teens perspective and especially middle schoolers who are just becoming sexually aware and aware of their own bodies. They don't usually make smart choices in their mannerisms or dress choices. And it is usually the kids that choose the clothes they wear and parents just foot the bill.

Sure they want to look nice, but kids tend to dress to compete for attention, as to the reasons behind their choices.

Wearing uniforms to school is really no different than those that wear uniforms to work. At school, it does take out the competitive edge. Kids are still free to wear whatever they choose on their own time.

I will say the longer blouses that cover the inappropriate details are much more tasteful and can even look good on larger bodies. And that goes for adults as well. Yes I have & wear the leggings on occasion. They are comfortable & warm and I wear the longer blouse or sweater that covers what is nobodies business but mine & hubby's
Of course. It was merely that sentence that on its own, i.e., absent the context of your overall message, inspired the chuckle. The overall theme of your remarks wasn't lost on me, nor do I take exception with it, for as I earlier wrote, "I won't ever object to the notion of uniforms."

Indeed, notwithstanding uniforms' disabusing kids of a variety of societal contrivances of which they might otherwise concern themselves, they also reduce the total cost parents must pay to clothe their kids and eliminate a measure of the angst accompanying "back to school" and other shopping forays. "Yes, I will pay for a new iPhone," for instance, is a lot easier to say when one doesn't also have to buy this or that trendy garment because "all the kids at school are wearing them."

Even in my household where the money wasn't an issue, on principle, my wife and I simply didn't honor our kids every last whim and desire. It was no different for me and my siblings. (I'm not of a mind to ridicule parents who indulge their children's every last wish, but neither was I willing to be such a parent.) Restraint is a quality children must learn, as well as learn that it applies to myriad scenarios. School uniforms are among the "tools" available to assist parents in conveying the value of that trait.

We need to go back to old fashioned school dress codes that import values and decorum...

f956f3f9a6ab55f4f9d823b0cfe1725f.jpg
At what school was that the uniform? Some place in Europe, perhaps? Barring that, dare I guess a 1940s-/1950s-ish school for budding pinup girls? LOL

1940s era Miss Porter's School

088d4d9969f089fbf21293fa2d0839be.jpg

4e4e7e7b7c580a565ef94e7c56c88e3f.jpg

1960s Kent School

DQegHHSX4AUgVvX.jpg

Kent School today

Forum List

Back