Should I Bother with Facebook?

its not like messenger, b/c it's not predominently used for im'ing.

it's older people than myspace... so better for the adult types, as opposed to the teens/twenty-somethings.

OK... and what is this I've heard that once you open an account, there is no way to delete it? That isn't good.

you can delete it

Have you tried? Meagan Kelly was talking about facebook one morning, and she said there was no way to delete an account once you open it.

you can delete it

Have you tried? Meagan Kelly was talking about facebook one morning, and she said there was no way to delete an account once you open it.

not yet but there is clearly a place that states--deactivate account,

Then PC ought to be aware of that, because she thinks what you put there is there for good too...

Also, there's the other factor that whatever is posted is there for perpetuity...

Obviously that rumor came from somewhere. Facebook probably changed it.

I've never been there myself. I've had a myspace page for a few years, and facebook sounds like the same thing as myspace. Why do the same thing in two different places?

Last edited:

Then PC ought to be aware of that, because she thinks what you put there is there for good too...

Also, there's the other factor that whatever is posted is there for perpetuity...

Just telling ya what I see. I just joined it a couple weeks ago. You particapte as who you really are with your real name. I think that inself cuts out a lot of nonsense by anonymous knuckleheads

Just telling ya what I see. I just joined it a couple weeks ago. You particapte as who you really are with your real name. I think that inself cuts out a lot of nonsense by anonymous knuckleheads.

Just telling ya what I see. I just joined it a couple weeks ago. You particapte as who you really are with your real name. I think that inself cuts out a lot of nonsense by anonymous knuckleheads

I trust what you say dillo. But how do they know you're signing up with your real name?

I trust what you say dillo. But how do they know you're signing up with your real name?

they don't...but other than connecting with people who know you ... under your name... there's not a lot of purpose for joining.

Facebook is totally my crack. I keep in touch with friends that way. You'd be surprised how many people there are at the 20 year mark that are pretty damn fun to talk to.

You have a lot in common with 20 year olds? I know they're nice to look at but a lot of them are still finding themselves.

No, I have a lot of friends that I've known for 20 years on there, from high school and college.

Facebook is totally my crack. I keep in touch with friends that way. You'd be surprised how many people there are at the 20 year mark that are pretty damn fun to talk to.

You have a lot in common with 20 year olds? I know they're nice to look at but a lot of them are still finding themselves.

No, I have a lot of friends that I've known for 20 years on there, from high school and college.

Thanks for the clarification. For a moment there I thought you were part of Cher's fan club.

Thanks for the clarification. For a moment there I thought you were part of Cher's fan club.

Oh, No. I mean, I have some 20-something friends from my office that I'm friends with on there (we make weekend plans using facebook at times), and some kids my daughter's age who've added me for reasons I'm not totally clear on, but most of my friends on there are MY AGE.

I flirt with my college boyfriend almost daily. it's funny. I have really enjoyed reconnecting with some of the people on there. Others, you realize why you lost touch with them after school.

Oh, No. I mean, I have some 20-something friends from my office that I'm friends with on there (we make weekend plans using facebook at times), and some kids my daughter's age who've added me for reasons I'm not totally clear on, but most of my friends on there are MY AGE.

I flirt with my college boyfriend almost daily. it's funny. I have really enjoyed reconnecting with some of the people on there. Others, you realize why you lost touch with them after school.

Talking of college boyfriends. I looked one of them up. He used to be tall, strapping, blond-haired, and blue-eyed. He's still tall, blond-haired, and blue-eyed, but no longer strapping. He looked like he could have used a salad. Well, he could be a millionaire by now, but I couldn't tell by the picture alone.

I joined when my daughter went off to college last fall. Just another way to keep in touch. I haven't even bothered to look up past friends. Between Facebook, texting, emails, etc. . . . there is no way she can escape! I'm glad my youth occurred during the pre-techno age. :lol:

Tried to tell ya....

Facebook Membership May Be Forever

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg at the firm's Silicon Valley headquarters.

Once a Facebook member, always a member.

The Consumerist blog noticed Sunday that the social-networking giant had quietly made a change to its user Terms of Service (TOS) on Feb. 4.

Facebook now declares that it has a perpetual license to use anything you post to your own Facebook page — even if you terminate your account.

Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg defended the change as necessary in a blog posting Monday afternoon.

"You hereby grant Facebook an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to (a) use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and distribute (through multiple tiers), any User Content you (i) Post on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof subject only to your privacy settings or (ii) enable a user to Post, including by offering a Share Link on your website and (b) to use your name, likeness and image for any purpose, including commercial or advertising, each of (a) and (b) on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof."

FOXNews.com - Facebook Membership May Be Forever - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News

Tried to tell ya....

The Consumerist blog noticed Sunday that the social-networking giant had quietly made a change to its user Terms of Service (TOS) on Feb. 4.

Facebook now declares that it has a perpetual license to use anything you post to your own Facebook page — even if you terminate your account.

Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg defended the change as necessary in a blog posting Monday afternoon.

"You hereby grant Facebook an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to (a) use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and distribute (through multiple tiers), any User Content you (i) Post on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof subject only to your privacy settings or (ii) enable a user to Post, including by offering a Share Link on your website and (b) to use your name, likeness and image for any purpose, including commercial or advertising, each of (a) and (b) on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof."

FOXNews.com - Facebook Membership May Be Forever - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News

They've already changed the TOS back because of complaints.

Tried to tell ya....

They've already changed the TOS back because of complaints.

Supposedly, but when I said you couldn't close your account, I was right. I still wouldn't have anything to do with the site. Too much shady crap going on there.

Supposedly, but when I said you couldn't close your account, I was right. I still wouldn't have anything to do with the site. Too much shady crap going on there.

I'm a member of the site and I received the message when they changed the TOS back.

And you can certainly deactivate your account. You go to Settings next to your name, go to the bottom and click deactivate.

I'm a member of the site and I received the message when they changed the TOS back.

And you can certainly deactivate your account. You go to Settings next to your name, go to the bottom and click deactivate.
I know... you and and lot of other people. You can have it though. I'm just not that into putting myself and my life on display for the whole world to see. It's none of their business. I'm too private for that.

I mean first people bitch and moan about the government poking it's nose into their business, and then they turn around and plaster their business all over some website like facebook or myspace. Talk about hypocrisy... :cuckoo:

I know... you and and lot of other people. You can have it though. I'm just not that into putting myself and my life on display for the whole world to see. It's none of their business. I'm too private for that.

I mean first people bitch and moan about the government poking it's nose into their business, and then they turn around and plaster their business all over some website like facebook or myspace. Talk about hypocrisy... :cuckoo:

Damn, that means I can't fuck with your life ... please post on MySpace ... please ... I won't do anything too bad ... at first ... :eusa_whistle:

Tried to tell ya....

Thanks for posting, PR. I saw this the other day because a friend of mine posted this as a link on Facebook.

I thought this was interesting from the same article:

In other words, while it doesn't actually own your photos, scribblings and status updates — you do — Facebook can do whatever it wants with it, whenever it wants, in order to promote itself or create or sell ads.

Theoretically, it can even "license" a picture of your kids for use in a third party's ad campaign.

It's one thing for Facebook to use my photo, but I don't feel comfortable them using my kids. I share personal family photos via email only. So far I've had no problems. I keep in touch with people that I know mostly from real life. I always keep in mind that if I meet someone online that any or all information can be a lie. Admittedly, this is quite cynical, but my safety comes first. I'm a fairly private person in real life anyway, so I don't post anything that may come back to haunt me.

I still haven't decided if it is worth it, but I've only joined recently, so I have yet to see.

A day late and a dollar short, PC, no matter how big and bold you make the fonts. ;)

Facebook backs down on perpetual licence
Posted Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:24am AEDT

A wave of complaints from subscribers has forced social networking website Facebook to back down over changes it was planning in the ownership of personal information.

The site's co-founder Mark Zuckerberg, in a post on the company blog, said Facebook was withdrawing the change to its terms of use which included giving it "perpetual worldwide licence" to anything posted on its network.

The move sparked a backlash among users with more than 85,000 joining a Facebook group calling itself People Against the New Terms of Service.

They expressed worries that Facebook could hold on to their pictures and personal information even if they closed their accounts.

"Based on this feedback, we have decided to return to our previous terms of use while we resolve the issues that people have raised," Mr Zuckerberg said.

Facebook backs down on perpetual licence - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Forum List

Back