Should DST be ended?

Should we end DST?

• Total voters
DST is just the government doing this
iu

I like the Fall back part, but loathe the Spring Forward. I'd rather just stay on either DST or Standard and forget about changing.

Im with the Florida contingent and would like to see DST implemented year round.

Im with the Florida contingent and would like to see DST implemented year round.
I'm in the Florida contingent that wants to see DST abolished. Let's just stay on standard time. Why would anyone in Florida want more daylight (SUNlight) in the summer time ? This is a time when we stay trapped indoors with our AC running full blast, to escape the heat. And some Floridans want MORE sun, and more heat ? Not me.

In fact I wouldn't mind seeing a Nightime Savings time, to give us more (cooler) night in our waking hours.

Russia quit turning their clocks back and forth several years ago.

As far as I know Arizona doesn't care about DST either. It doesn't save enough energy but hurts people's health quite a bit.

It doesn't save any energy. It is and always was a farce.

Americans get up at a fixed time. We don't get up an hour later because the clocks change.

I'm in the Florida contingent that wants to see DST abolished. Let's just stay on standard time. Why would anyone in Florida want more daylight (SUNlight) in the summer time ? This is a time when we stay trapped indoors with our AC running full blast, to escape the heat. And some Floridans want MORE sun, and more heat ? Not me.

In fact I wouldn't mind seeing a Nightime Savings time, to give us more (cooler) night in our waking hours.
You are being facetious? You do realize the amount of sunlight does not change with either ST or DST? The only difference if the sunrise and sunset times.

90e96a56cfe7730bb4b32ac62bfeed31-d6uswl1.jpg

DST or no DST...Makes no difference to me.

The idea behind DST is that it provides an extra hour of daylight and thereby encourages additional spending that benefits small businesses and to help reduce energy consumption. That may have been so when it was first implemented. I don't know that in these days of Internet-enabled shopping it still produces that outcome.

A study by JP Morgan Chase (JPM) indicated that the shift from ST to DST produces a dip in spending (revenue earned) that ranges between about 2% and 5%. The basic hypothesis JPM tested is that if If the extra hour induces additional spending, one would expect to see an increase in local commerce in Los Angeles relative to local commerce in Phoenix, and in November, the opposite should happen. What they found is that while in the spring there was a slight increase in spending (~1%), the corresponding drop in the fall (~3.5%) exceed the increase in the spring. That was for credit card shopping. They found other incongruences in other cities and in various sectors.

There have been other studies on the matter. I don't know what they found.

We’re at that time again where everyone will need to change their clocks.

I’d like to see it ended.

Yes, it should have ended a long time ago. We are not an agrarian economy any longer and have no use for it. Also, several studies done in recent years have shown it really does harm people physically

I much rather have the extra hour of dayling at the end of the day. Gives me more time to take the boat out after work and get things done around the house before the sunsets.

Forum List

Back