Okay, what's the deal with "smart" phones? That's literal, I know nothing about them

TheDude

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2016
U.S.A. gone wild
FKing-A for my first 56 years I've avoided these like the plague. In a lot of ways they are. But I think I need to give in some, society has pretty well phased me out, bastards. I have a cell phone for emergencies, never use it. Costs me $70 a year. I've texted once, what a pain in the butt.

Anyway, as I look around, the ads and information treat everyone as if they know WTF they're talking about. I'd like something that takes pictures, text chicks I suppose, receive shots of their bare ass, comb the web, and audio so the cyborg can tell me how and when to turn. Couple questions.

1. I see an H20 company that sells 4G data for $30 a month prepaid. I read 4G is a lot. I guess "data" isn't equal texts and calls, it's for the web BS. That seem like a decent amount of data? From what I read the deal includes unlimited text and calls.

2. H20 uses AT&T. I hear it's a good service. Why the fuck would someone go through AT&T to get AT&T service? It strikes me that AT&T charges more. Is it because H20 is pre-pay? As opposed to what and why?

3. I suppose the $30 a month doesn't include the "phone" itself. What's a decent phone to fit the application? Bigger screen seems better, fuck I don't know. If bigger screen means BIGGER cost I'm not interested.

4. What's a reasonable storage capacity & processor?

5. What does locked Vs unlocked mean?

6. WTF are some "smart" phones $60 and others over a grand?

7. Why would I lease a phone?

8. Is there a certain performance I should look for? I guess the H20 phone is "4G LTE", which means fourth generation and/or whatever. For all I know we're at 12G SMH, couldn't tell you.

9. Does the phone have to be appropriate for the service? If so, how do you know to match them up?

10. What do "apps" generally cost? You know, like the driving instructions?

Thanks

Last edited:
You can actually get a smartphone for free nowadays. It usually involves some data plan, like limited data, but unlimited text and calls for 30 days. I mostly use my phone at home, with wifi, so data means nothing to me.

No su ch thing as free. On another note, sounds like some people are getting ripped off. Near everyone I know spends $50 a month, though I suppose that includes a phone. My ex-wife pays $120 a month including phone......don't ask me, she makes bad decisions.

From what I see 4G gives near everyone all they need. Works for me. Looking at Amazon, $180-$250 gets you a nice common phone. The $180 is 32GB and highly rated. 32GB seems like a lot of space. I have an IPOD, phone music does nothing for me. Yeah, I'm blue tooth challenged too.

So add $15 a month the first year for the phone. If I do this I'm dumping the land-line. Add losing the cheap cell phone, it's near a wash. Doesn't sound bad really...........That is until the phone breaks.

I guess "unlocked" means the phone works with any or most air carriers. But then I read no, some folks don't feel they always do what's stated.

Forum List

Back