Should Democrats and Republicans Compromise With Each Other?

Reality: You are a slave and need ways to rationalize the hallucination that you are free.

You'll be the one camping on the sidewalk overnight, so you can be the first on your block to have a UPC tattooed onto your forehead.

Naaawww...That's not right.....You're the type of nitwit who'd pay extra to have someone come to your home and do a custom job.

LOL! I'm the kind of guy who oh, let's see. Owns a business. Travels where I want, when I want, with as much money as I want. You know, stuff you dream about. That's probably why you're always so hysterically angry. Poor baby.

Last edited:
Our representatives need to compromise in order for our government to function. It's that simple. But the politicians and pundits have done SUCH a good job of polarizing us, that many people don't even remember that simple fact. 300 million people are never going to all agree on something completely. Good laws have been passed through compromise and yes, as regent so astutely points out, they are usually polished up after passage.

It's a shame that the manipulators have done such a good job of deflecting blame off themselves by pitting us against each other, that so many people have bought into it.

Sorry to disagree. Poorly thought out Laws, poorly worded Laws, are the Tyrant's Friend. They enable him to act before the People even realize what's going on, let alone construct and apply a remedy. Better to get it as right as we can, before passage,somethings just cannot be undone that easily. No matter which side of the Aisle one supports, we each face consequence. Law and Justice, is supposed to be about what is Right, which is not always the case in relation to what is popular, or the flavor of the day. Grownups should know better.

Well I have to respect a civil and well-reasoned post - even if we disagree. Which I still do. Let's look at Oil Subsidies. I am against giving special tax breaks or subsidies to ANY company, farm etc... but would compromise if the company A) Hired 100% American workers and B) Paid taxes 100% in America.
Someone else might have a different idea. The GOP seems rally intent on pointing their finger at teh Dems over farm subsidies while they support them for Big Oil. The Dems point their fingers at the GOP over subsidies to Big Oil while they support farm subsidies.
YOu can't tell me there's not a compromise in there somewhere. But by convincing us to believe they SHOULDN'T compromise, both sides get to keep pointing their fingers and keep giving away our money.
As far as making sure a law is absolutely perfect as passed, can you name one in the last 100 years that would be a good example of this? Sometimes you don't know where the flaw or hole is until application occurs.
The key words in the post were "for the good of the country".

Another Key Phrase is "Don't compromise your Principle". How about "Don't Corrupt Principle. I'm not suggesting "Don't Compromise", not at all. We have strayed too far. We need a change in direction, baby steps, big steps, what ever we can get support on.

As long as 'compromise' means that the GOP sit in the back, as our Fearless Leader has said they should do, and let the Democrats call all the shots, then no, there should be no compromise. We did not elect our Republican representatives to go to Washington to be Democrats. We elected them because they said they were committed to certain principles and goals that made them different from Democrats.

If all we want is compromise, why not do away with the GOP altogether and just elect Democrats who will march in lockstep together?

As long as 'compromise' means that the GOP sit in the back, as our Fearless Leader has said they should do, and let the Democrats call all the shots, then no, there should be no compromise. We did not elect our Republican representatives to go to Washington to be Democrats. We elected them because they said they were committed to certain principles and goals that made them different from Democrats.

If all we want is compromise, why not do away with the GOP altogether and just elect Democrats who will march in lockstep together?

Do you think Bush and the GOP did the same thing, back in the day? Do you think the GOP does the same thing now?

I do. I'd be happy to name a couple examples if you like. Both sides do the same thing.

Having said this, which I will stand behind, there are circumstances in which compromise is appropriate.

It took our Founders, for instance, seven long years of intense debate, discussion, disagreement, argument, and persuasion to get a fairly large group of hiighly educated and brilliant men of broadly diverse opiinions to agree on the document that is our Constitution.

Nobody got everything he wanted. It wasn't easy for many of them to concede some points that were passionately felt. But in the end, they accomplished a document that would best meet the goal on which they all could agree: that people have unalienable rights that no government should touch, and the role of the federal government would be to secure and protect those rights and then otherwise leave the people alone for form whatever society they wished to have and seek whatever brass ring they wanted to reach for.

America would be the first nation in the history of the world with no king, monarch, pharoah, emperor, dictator, or other form of totalitarian government.

I wish Democrats and Republicans would get together and find ways to compromise to further that concept.

Do you think Bush and the GOP did the same thing, back in the day? Do you think the GOP does the same thing now?

I do. I'd be happy to name a couple examples if you like. Both sides do the same thing.

That wasn't the question in the OP was it? If you want to analyze the differences between the Democrats and GOP, then you should have said that.

Otherwise let's stick with the question of whether or how much we want compromise which is a very different question and a far more interesting one.

Compromise on how much wasteful spending to cut is one thing. Compromising principles or the financial future of our citizens and nation, not so much.

Let's compromise with this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJtXhl5nPDo]'60 Minutes' Asks Nancy Pelosi About Her Involving With Credit Card Companies - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APUhVXImUhc]Pelosi Scoffs When Asked Where Constitution Authorizes Ordering Americans To Buy Health Insurance - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-usmvYOPfco]Alan Grayson on the GOP Health Care Plan: "Don't Get Sick! And if You Do Get Sick, Die Quickly!"' - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCi4I4vxqBQ&feature=related]Reid's cowboy poetry crusade - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH87c0h4WK8]Obama: Republicans Want 'Dirtier Air, Dirtier Water' - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

That wasn't the question in the OP was it? If you want to analyze the differences between the Democrats and GOP, then you should have said that.

Otherwise let's stick with the question of whether or how much we want compromise which is a very different question and a far more interesting one.

Actually, see the bold of your quote above. You're the one who started the "It's all THEIR fault!" thing.
I'm just curious to see whether you're objective. Thus far, when asked whether the same tactics you object to so vociferously in Dems, being used by Republicans, you suddenly change the subject.
That would lead one to believe that your first reply is lacking both objectivity.
Similar to Oddball's collection of videos which I'm sure are fascinating but which I'm also equally sure shed negative light on only the Democrats. While I'm sure the extreme Right Wingers will find his posts worth reading, anyone else would see nothing of substance or credibility. It's not like I couldn't post dozens of similar vids of Republicans acting represensibly.
People know that both have serious flaws and have acted against the best interest of the country, because of party. Well, objective people do anyway.

Last edited:
Well, since you're such a big fuckin' noise in Nevada, why don't you get Harry Reid on the blower and lay all that inescapable logic and suave platitudinous bullshit about compromising and not being all divisive on him, and report back to us on how you make out?

I mean really...You don't honestly believe that posting all your navel contemplating crapola on some interweb message board is going to get any action, do you?

C'mon, hop to it!....Show us all that you're not just some big fucking bag of wind!

Well, since you're such a big fuckin' noise in Nevada, why don't you get Harry Reid on the blower and lay all that inescapable logic and suave platitudinous bullshit about compromising and not being all divisive on him, and report back to us on how you make out?

I mean really...You don't honestly believe that posting all your navel contemplating crapola on some interweb message board is going to get any action, do you?

C'mon, hop to it!....Show us all that you're not just some big fucking bag of wind!

LOL! Now OddyBaby, calm down. You're getting hysterical again. Boy I sure got under your skin didn't I?!?!?! You know that you have come into every single thread I've posted on and posted at least once or twice only about me? Poor little guy. I hate to see you all worked up like this.
Oh and Oddy, regardless of how powerful you think I am, I can't just tell Harry Reid what to do.
I come here for a couple reasons. One is to engage in civil and intelligent discussions and debates with people like Foxfire. While she and I often disagree, there are things we can agree on and we certainly don't need to lower ourselves to the level of the inferior posters here. They're good for a lot of "LOL"s but it's not like "they" are to be taken seriously.
Oh and btw, I would have gladly voted against Reid. I despise both he and Pelosi. Unfortunately, the GOP decided to put a real oddball on the ticket. Sharon Angle. She was proof the whackjobs took over the local GOP. There is certainly evidence that NV is not the only place where whackjobs rule the party. Hell, there are nutcases who come here and rarely even discuss the topics. Instead, they just follow around particular posters who have obviously just spanked them like a little girl, and post about those people. :lol:

In the mean time, our representatives must be willing to compromise in order to get things done. As I mentioned in my earlier response to you, it would be like trying to operate a business without being willing to... oh nevermind. You don't do topics and issues, do you. Sorry little buddy! I forgot!

Hugs & Kisses,

Your BFF

Forum List

Back