Spam Robocalling up 60%

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
And most of it is from illegal spammers overseas though some are from legit telemarketers who are bypassing the do not call list by moving their operations overseas, particularly to Bangladesh.
Calls to cell phones have increased dramatically as more and more people are using them as their primary source of contact, like me. Lately I've been receiving multiple calls from Bangladesh, which I don't answer then block but they just generate another number to call from and it starts all over again. I use Hiya, need to see how to block country codes.

The article is from January of this year

Robocalls jumped 60 percent in the U.S. last year and scammers are finding more ways to make money

After I mentioned my call blocker to my son in law, he said he downloaded an app to keep them from calling his cell.

If any of you are having problems, might want to do some research.

I'd like to get some call-blockage going on.
cheddar-cheese-being-cut-on-white-background-picture-id113583993

Hey, it's worth a shot........

After I mentioned my call blocker to my son in law, he said he downloaded an app to keep them from calling his cell.

If any of you are having problems, might want to do some research.
The FCC has opened the way for carriers to block all spam calls.

Will Cell Phone Companies Use New FCC Rules to Prevent Robocalls? | Digital Trends

I'll believe it when I see it.

in the meantime.....

I push a button, never hear from them again

And most of it is from illegal spammers overseas though some are from legit telemarketers who are bypassing the do not call list by moving their operations overseas, particularly to Bangladesh.
Calls to cell phones have increased dramatically as more and more people are using them as their primary source of contact, like me. Lately I've been receiving multiple calls from Bangladesh, which I don't answer then block but they just generate another number to call from and it starts all over again. I use Hiya, need to see how to block country codes.

Robocalls jumped 60 percent in the U.S. last year and scammers are finding more ways to make money

I block several numbers every week. I really don't know why, because it's pointless. They spoof their numbers and constantly change them. Most of them come from South Carolina because that's where I lived before Vegas and I never changed my phone number. I called Verizon and asked them if I could just block every call coming from any South Carolina area code, as that would eliminate 90% of those calls, and they say there is no way to do that. I find that astonishing in 2019 they can't come up with a way to block any number from a certain area code.

I got several calls last week from my own phone number. I guess that's also one of the spoofing scams to get people to answer a call from their own number out of curiosity.

I block several numbers every week. I really don't know why, because it's pointless. They spoof their numbers and constantly change them. Most of them come from South Carolina because that's where I lived before Vegas and I never changed my phone number. I called Verizon and asked them if I could just block every call coming from any South Carolina area code, as that would eliminate 90% of those calls, and they say there is no way to do that. I find that astonishing in 2019 they can't come up with a way to block any number from a certain area code.
The vast majority of mine come from Virginia, I kept my old number also.

I shifted to a VOIP provider who provided an area code where almost nobody lives. I've had one robocall in 18 months. True, it's a toll call for neighbors but if they want to call badly enough they'll either pay up or drop by to visit. Saved over thirty bucks a month along the way. I'd name one but don't want to catch any crap from the regime. You can find several good ones online. Unlimited calling anywhere in U.S.; most international calls are under 2-cents per minute and calls back to The U.S. from most countries (you can use a tablet with a free app) are free. Only idiots (OK, liberals too...) are pissing away money on conventional phone lines.

I seldom carry my cell phone. It sits right here plugged in next to my computer. God gave us voicemail, so that I will get every message that is left for me, and spammers don't leave messages. Altogether a very simple solution.

^^^ Amen about those who do and don't leave messages.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Normally just one ring is all that happens whenever a robot call comes in on my phone. Why only one, I have no idea.

I answer them and then start screaming with a Indian accent at them telling them I am their boss they are calling and not someone they are scamming...

Once in awhile I get one to laugh but usually they threaten to kill me, my family and tell me to go to hell...

I swear Americans should start calling them back and say this is the IRS calling to collect the money the scammers have collected...

One would think our elected officials would realize this was a very high priority and do something about it.

Forum List

Back