Should Democrats and Republicans Compromise With Each Other?

Our representatives need to compromise in order for our government to function. It's that simple. But the politicians and pundits have done SUCH a good job of polarizing us, that many people don't even remember that simple fact. 300 million people are never going to all agree on something completely. Good laws have been passed through compromise and yes, as regent so astutely points out, they are usually polished up after passage.

It's a shame that the manipulators have done such a good job of deflecting blame off themselves by pitting us against each other, that so many people have bought into it.

It amazes me that so many people say no. If that's you're answer, please let me know how you would expect anything to ever get done?

Yes, when you can do it without abandoning principle. For example a compromise that involves a small step, rather than no step, when you don't have the support for a big step. Should either side sell out principle? No, not when it is genuine. Do concerns have to be weighed and given priority? Very much so. Do we need to spend beyond our means to effect change? Yes. Do we need to do it iin the dark, effectively blindfolded? Not at all. There is no substitute for Competence.

Our representatives need to compromise in order for our government to function. It's that simple. But the politicians and pundits have done SUCH a good job of polarizing us, that many people don't even remember that simple fact. 300 million people are never going to all agree on something completely. Good laws have been passed through compromise and yes, as regent so astutely points out, they are usually polished up after passage.

It's a shame that the manipulators have done such a good job of deflecting blame off themselves by pitting us against each other, that so many people have bought into it.

I'll give you one thing...You are an ace at vague and vapid platitudes. :thup:

Sorry to disagree. Poorly thought out Laws, poorly worded Laws, are the Tyrant's Friend. They enable him to act before the People even realize what's going on, let alone construct and apply a remedy. Better to get it as right as we can, before passage,somethings just cannot be undone that easily. No matter which side of the Aisle one supports, we each face consequence. Law and Justice, is supposed to be about what is Right, which is not always the case in relation to what is popular, or the flavor of the day. Grownups should know better.

Republicans who find it necessary or expedient to compromise with democrats will soon find themselves replaced by republicans who won't. It is just that simple.

Someone care to explain how driving the country to a compromise that results in lower standards, higher debt and an unproductive citizenry helps?

Well THANKS Oddball! Hey, maybe someday when you're allllll growed up, you can post about an issue! Or a topic!
I mean, it's very flattering that you go from thread to thread posting about me! You're like having a little brother or a puppy or something. Someone not quite smart enough to talk with grown-ups so they just follow their superiors and bark, hoping to get a little attention. Well oddball, very nice post! <pat on head> You are a gooood boy! :)

Sorry to disagree. Poorly thought out Laws, poorly worded Laws, are the Tyrant's Friend. They enable him to act before the People even realize what's going on, let alone construct and apply a remedy. Better to get it as right as we can, before passage,somethings just cannot be undone that easily. No matter which side of the Aisle one supports, we each face consequence. Law and Justice, is supposed to be about what is Right, which is not always the case in relation to what is popular, or the flavor of the day. Grownups should know better.

Well I have to respect a civil and well-reasoned post - even if we disagree. Which I still do. Let's look at Oil Subsidies. I am against giving special tax breaks or subsidies to ANY company, farm etc... but would compromise if the company A) Hired 100% American workers and B) Paid taxes 100% in America.
Someone else might have a different idea. The GOP seems rally intent on pointing their finger at teh Dems over farm subsidies while they support them for Big Oil. The Dems point their fingers at the GOP over subsidies to Big Oil while they support farm subsidies.
YOu can't tell me there's not a compromise in there somewhere. But by convincing us to believe they SHOULDN'T compromise, both sides get to keep pointing their fingers and keep giving away our money.
As far as making sure a law is absolutely perfect as passed, can you name one in the last 100 years that would be a good example of this? Sometimes you don't know where the flaw or hole is until application occurs.
The key words in the post were "for the good of the country".

Well I have to respect a civil and well-reasoned post - even if we disagree. Which I still do. Let's look at Oil Subsidies. I am against giving special tax breaks or subsidies to ANY company, farm etc... but would compromise if the company A) Hired 100% American workers and B) Paid taxes 100% in America.
Someone else might have a different idea. The GOP seems rally intent on pointing their finger at teh Dems over farm subsidies while they support them for Big Oil. The Dems point their fingers at the GOP over subsidies to Big Oil while they support farm subsidies.
YOu can't tell me there's not a compromise in there somewhere. But by convincing us to believe they SHOULDN'T compromise, both sides get to keep pointing their fingers and keep giving away our money.
As far as making sure a law is absolutely perfect as passed, can you name one in the last 100 years that would be a good example of this? Sometimes you don't know where the flaw or hole is until application occurs.

I think people are so jaded that they have given up on the idea of compromise. [ame=www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cNbii3mbhM] The Zax [/ame]

I think people are so jaded that they have given up on the idea of compromise.

I agree. the easily duped have been convinced that everything is "the other side's fault!" by the people whose fault it is - the Democrats and Republicans. The Congress that quit working for us long ago.

I agree. the easily duped have been convinced that everything is "the other side's fault!" by the people whose fault it is - the Democrats and Republicans. The Congress that quit working for us long ago.

As much as I am an advocate of small government, etc....I still realize that compromise is needed if we are to stay united. Its like a marriage. It won't last if there is no compromise. It seems like there are a lot of people that would like to have a divorce at this point. Succession?

As much as I am an advocate of small government, etc....I still realize that compromise is needed if we are to stay united. Its like a marriage. It won't last if there is no compromise. It seems like there are a lot of people that would like to have a divorce at this point. Succession?
Compromise is no longer called for....Noncompliance is.

Compliance with tyrants is acquiescence to them.

Well THANKS Oddball! Hey, maybe someday when you're allllll growed up, you can post about an issue! Or a topic!
I mean, it's very flattering that you go from thread to thread posting about me! You're like having a little brother or a puppy or something. Someone not quite smart enough to talk with grown-ups so they just follow their superiors and bark, hoping to get a little attention. Well oddball, very nice post! <pat on head> You are a gooood boy! :)
Piss off, supercilious dickweed.

You want to pretend that tyrants are worth compromising with, then you'll get the enslavement that you deserve.

And if you want to pretend that vague platitudinous bullshit is ever any kind of remotely logical thought, then you'll continue to be enslaved by your own image in the pond.

Piss off, supercilious dickweed.

You want to pretend that tyrants are worth compromising with, then you'll get the enslavement that you deserve.

And if you want to pretend that vague platitudinous bullshit is ever any kind of remotely logical thought, then you'll continue to be enslaved by your own image in the pond.

LOL!!! Settle down little puppy <another affectionate pat on the head> . You're quite the angry little puppy, aren't you!?!?
So here, let me give you a little reality because you know, as your new BFnBB (BEst Friend n Big Brother) it is my responsibility to help raise you!
Okay so. Don't worry l'il bro, I will not be a slave. I own my own company and have operated it while living in countries outside the USA before. We've actually thought about moving to Belize after my daughter heads off to the college of her choice. it's even in the same time zone! Isn't that nice?
Now. You already compromise with our government every day. It's called obeying the laws. You don't shoot people, steal things etc... At least I'll assume you don't. If you are doing these things, you're parents are going to be VERY upset young man!
So what we grown-ups were talking about, is a government that functions. It's complicated. I suggest you find a nearby Liberal Elitistist and ask them to explain it to you.
Now you just take a few deep breaths and oh, I dunno, maybe drink some nice relaxing tea. Think more positive thoughts! And know that your new Big Brother and puppy owner is here for you baby! :cool:

Fuck you, jerk.

You're the one still stupid enough to believe that you can compromise with tyrants...That you can mollify those who want it all by giving them the mythical half-a-loaf.

I gave up such puerile presumptions long, long ago.

Those people -regardless of party- are not and haven't been our servants in a long time...They are not, and have no intention upon being, your friends....They want you as their personal plaything.

When they "compromise", you lose.

Your arrogance is only exceeded by your foolhardiness.

Fuck you, jerk.

You're the one still stupid enough to believe that you can compromise with tyrants...That you can mollify those who want it all by giving them the mythical half-a-loaf.

I gave up such puerile presumptions long, long ago.

Those people -regardless of party- are not and haven't been our servants in a long time...They are not, and have no intention upon being, your friends....They want you as their personal plaything.

Your arrogance is only exceeded by your foolhardiness.

Okay now puppy, I want you to calm down. You're rather hysterical and although you're pretty much ALWAYS in hysterics, I'm worried about you.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Oddball>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There! There's a big hug to make you feel all better! Now back to reality. You compromise with our government every day as is demonstrated by the fact that you live here, obey the laws, pay your taxes and so on. So you just kick those little feeties all you want but that is the reality and even your most hysterical little tanrums won't change that. So while you stomp around your mom's basement or wherever you live, you can take comfort in the realization that I, your New BFF and Big Brother, will always be here to protect you from those darn enslavers!!! :eusa_whistle:

Reality: You are a slave and need ways to rationalize the hallucination that you are free.

You'll be the one camping on the sidewalk overnight, so you can be the first on your block to have a UPC tattooed onto your forehead.

Naaawww...That's not right.....You're the type of nitwit who'd pay extra to have someone come to your home and do a custom job. :lmao:

Forum List

Back