Should black people still be upset about slavery?

fujin

Rookie
Apr 2, 2015
atlanta, georgia
I see a lot of black activists just expressing their hate for the people who partaken in the slave trade. Only online though, never in person.

I m not even white! I know the Americas slave trade a.k.a the Atlantic Slave trade is well known!

I m Egyptian (Arab) and Arabs had something called the Arab Slave trade.

I ve seen quite a few people express their hatred towards Arabs and Whites for slavery! I m not writing this question with a bias mindset. I m truly open for discussion and insight.

But in MY very own opinion... I don t think they should still be made about the two slave trades. Of course the slave trades should not be forgotten. The victims/slaves deserve sympathy plus there s a great saying "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it"

But black people of today didn t suffer like those slaves. Whites and Arabs today didn t partake in slavery either.

Black people today are quite free. I think they should enjoy their lives and/or fight the injustice of the present not the past.

What s your opinion?

and please no hate, towards me or black people. I m just curious if others think they have a right to still be upset about the past! that s all xx

I see a lot of black activists just expressing their hate for the people who partaken in the slave trade. Only online though, never in person.

I m not even white! I know the Americas slave trade a.k.a the Atlantic Slave trade is well known!

I ve seen quite a few people express their hatred towards Arabs and Whites for slavery! I m not writing this question with a bias mindset. I m truly open for discussion and insight.

But in MY very own opinion... I don t think they should still be made about the two slave trades. Of course the slave trades should not be forgotten. The victims/slaves deserve sympathy plus there s a great saying "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it"

But black people of today didn t suffer like those slaves. Whites and Arabs today didn t partake in slavery either.

Black people today are quite free. I think they should enjoy their lives and/or fight the injustice of the present not the past.

What s your opinion?

and please no hate, towards me or black people. I m just curious if others think they have a right to still be upset about the past! that s all xx

Welcome to USMB Fujin!

I don't think black people are upset in their daily lives today about slavery. I think they're upset about its aftermath, which is still with us. It carved deep scars into the social structure that persist to this day. And a large part of those scars are economic, meaning it pushed them into a lower class -- a class which was in a sense created specifically for them. It's not hard to see why one would feel trapped in that setting. So in some ways, very meaningful ways -- the past is still in the present.

What s your opinion?

I wrote on this a bit ago but blacks were NOT the first slaves in America. Whites were..

What s your opinion?

I wrote on this a bit ago but blacks were NOT the first slaves in America. Whites were..

That's still bullshit.

If by "America" you mean "what is now the US", the first slaves were brought here by the Spanish -- from Africa -- in the 1530s, in what is now South Carolina.

If by "America" you mean the two continents of the Americas, the first slaves were those Indians captured by Columbus (some of which he took back to Europe as souvenirs) in the 1400s.

There were white slaves later, but they weren't nearly the first.

No, they have no right to be upset. Every effort imaginable has been made to placate the negro race and it's only led to more hostility toward those who have tried to help them. They have no one but themselves to blame for their lot in life now.

What s your opinion?

That's still bullshit.

If by "America" you mean "what is now the US", the first slaves were brought here by the Spanish -- from Africa -- in the 1530s, in what is now South Carolina.

If by "America" you mean the two continents of the Americas, the first slaves were those Indians captured by Columbus (some of which he took back to Europe as souvenirs) in the 1400s.

Recorded documented history disagrees.

What s your opinion?

That's still bullshit.

Maybe you don't understand linear time.
I've actually posted about Irish slaves sent by Cromwell's brother and how it's the basis for what is now the Jamaican accent in the past on this site. But that was the 17th century, in the Caribbean. I'm giving you the 1530s (16th century), here, before the English came.. And again, if you're talking "the Americas" outside what is now the US, all of them are trumped by Columbus, in the fifteenth cetury, capturing Indians, ordering them to go bring back gold and if they didn't, cutting off their hands. There was nobody here from Europe before that.

You need to aim just a wee bit higher for your sources than random videos on YouTube.

No, they should not be angry. No living person was in any way involved in those slave trades, on either side. White people today owe the black community absolutely nothing, nor do they owe the white community.

What the black community should be mad at is the Obama administration and the DHS/Welfare Departments for essentially holding them back by making government "assistance" so readily and easily available to them which actually serves to keep them poor. Not to mention our government and media outlets seem intent on driving a wedge between all races, at any cost. (united we stand, divided we fall) It's easier for them to control us if we are to busy squabbling with each other to actually pay good attention to whats really happening out there.

Nobody wants reparations, they just want their turn with the whip.
It's human nature.

What s your opinion?

That's still bullshit.

I've actually posted about Irish slaves sent by Cromwell's brother and how it's the basis for what is now the Jamaican accent in the past on this site. But that was the 17th century, in the Caribbean. I'm giving you the 1530s (16th century), here, before the English came.. And again, if you're talking "the Americas" outside what is now the US, all of them are trumped by Columbus, in the fifteenth cetury, capturing Indians, ordering them to go bring back gold and if they didn't, cutting off their hands. There was nobody here from Europe before that.

You need to aim just a wee bit higher for your sources than random videos on YouTube.

If merely taking a few people and holding them against their will consitutes "slavery in the US", then indians were the first people to have slaves. They often destroyed other tribes and took their women. Inidians were the first slaves and slave masters in the US. How despicable. I bet you often talk about how awful they are, because if you didnt, that would mean you are being intentionally biased.

What s your opinion?

That's still bullshit.

How about going with the OP's question. "Do black people STILL have the right to be upset about slavery?"
I say NO.

What s your opinion?

That's still bullshit.

If merely taking a few people and holding them against their will consitutes "slavery in the US", then indians were the first people to have slaves. They often destroyed other tribes and took their women. Inidians were the first slaves and slave masters in the US. How despicable. I bet you often talk about how awful they are, because if you didnt, that would mean you are being intentionally biased.

Technically the first slaves to exist on these two continents would certainly have been Indians -- some tribes did, some did not (Indians" doesn't describe any kind of common anthropological culture). In the big picture Native Americans were enslaved by other Native Americans, Africans were enslaved by other Africans; Asians were enslaved by other Asians and Europeans by other Europeans.

But that wasn't the OP's question. He's speaking of the African slaves that were brought here by Europeans. And that means (first) the Spanish and Portuguese Atlantic slave traders, followed by the English, French and Dutch. That -- the intercontinental shipping of slaves -- was a new concept. It had never been done before, and it took a whole new deeper form where instead of indentured servitude like the Irish, where one "worked off" one's bondage and achieved freedom, Africans were enslaved for life, by virtue of their different skin and "sold" as a special inferior class of sub-human. This was the invention of racism.

That's still bullshit.

Technically the first slaves to exist on these two continents would certainly have been Indians -- some tribes did, some did not (Indians" doesn't describe any kind of common anthropological culture). In the big picture Native Americans were enslaved by other Native Americans, Africans were enslaved by other Africans; Asians were enslaved by other Asians and Europeans by other Europeans.

But that wasn't the OP's question. He's speaking of the African slaves that were brought here by Europeans. And that means (first) the Spanish and Portuguese Atlantic slave traders, followed by the English, French and Dutch. That -- the intercontinental shipping of slaves -- was a new concept. It had never been done before, and it took a whole new deeper form where instead of indentured servitude like the Irish, where one "worked off" one's bondage and achieved freedom, Africans were enslaved for life, by virtue of their different skin and "sold" as a special inferior class of sub-human. This was the invention of racism.

You still did not reply to the OP's question.
Do blacks STILL have the right to be angry about slavery?

That's still bullshit.

But that wasn't the OP's question. He's speaking of the African slaves that were brought here by Europeans. And that means (first) the Spanish and Portuguese Atlantic slave traders, followed by the English, French and Dutch.

Of course, they're the only ones who count.

fujin as you can see from a few posts here we live in a highly stratified society reflecting my earlier comments about socio-economic classes. Some of our members here apparently never interact with black people and their impressions come from mass media sensationalism and talk radio blowhards rather than direct evidence.

But history illuminates.... no one who was a slave, or a slaveholder, is alive today, nor are their children. But that's not the whole story.

When the slaves were freed by Lincoln in 1865 they didn't just start walking around free the next day. They were subject to relentless persecutions -- beatings, lynching (death by hanging), rape, some even burned, beheaded, or skinned, with the body parts sold as souvenirs and made into postcards. Terrorist groups sprang up to hunt them down, were put down by the government, and then sprang up again. And this went on for some 75 years before it died away, and still bubbles up occasionally.

In the years immediately after World War Two, an intense technical revolution was brought to the South (where most of the slaves were) in the form of mechanization and chemical agriculture, which displaced a great many workers, both black and white, and drove them into cities. This of course produced further upheaval, as new arrivals were seen as competitors for jobs, which they were, and served to keep those communities separate from, and untrusting of, each other. Decline of industry in those cities, particularly the midwest, has worsened the plight of those classes more recently.

So when we hear some of our members complaining "they have no one to blame but themselves", it rings hollow. Knowing one's context is always crucial, for as you note in the OP, those who ignore their own history are condemned to repeat it.

That's still bullshit.

I addressed that in my first post here (3) before you tried to carry us off to white slavery with a YouTube video.

What s your opinion?

Welcome to USMB Fujin!

I don't think black people are upset in their daily lives today about slavery. I think they're upset about its aftermath, which is still with us. It carved deep scars into the social structure that persist to this day. And a large part of those scars are economic, meaning it pushed them into a lower class -- a class which was in a sense created specifically for them. It's not hard to see why one would feel trapped in that setting. So in some ways, very meaningful ways -- the past is still in the present.

Well said. Speaking for myself, I am not angry about slavery all

It is a part of America's history.

What I do find to be interesting and amusing is that in forums like this one, many non blacks often claim that "blacks talk incessantly" about slavery,

However, the non blacks are typically the thread starters on the topic of slavery.

I addressed that in my first post here (3) before you tried to carry us off to white slavery with a YouTube video.

You might want to go back and re-read your comment because NO you did not. It started off "I don't think" but there was NO direct reply to the question as in yes or no.

Forum List

Back