A black Spiderman, Superman, Batman, Annie?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Uh no thankyou. Have no problem with black superheros or leads, but have a BIG problem with reinventing classics. Taking someone's work and radically altering it is like rewriting the Bible. Want a black orphan girl fine, make your own. Want black superheros I'm in line to see them, but make a new hero. Don't take a character who's always been one ethnicity and change it to another. Just as a Chinese "Spawn," or other originally black superhero suddenly not being black anymore would upset loyal fans, so does taking originally white heros and making them black. Not because they're black instead of white but because you changed the original story. How about we change "Roots" to be all Chinese slaves for the railroads? Get it?

Uh no thankyou. Have no problem with black superheros or leads, but have a BIG problem with reinventing classics. Taking someone's work and radically altering it is like rewriting the Bible. Want a black orphan girl fine, make your own. Want black superheros I'm in line to see them, but make a new hero. Don't take a character who's always been one ethnicity and change it to another. Just as a Chinese "Spawn," or other originally black superhero suddenly not being black anymore would upset loyal fans, so does taking originally white heros and making them black. Not because they're black instead of white but because you changed the original story. How about we change "Roots" to be all Chinese slaves for the railroads? Get it?
What about making them all gay???

Do you hate gays too???

I disagree. In most cases the race is irrelevant. That Annie was White was relevent at the time of her creation, but it's not now. Captain America, Spiderman? Doesn't matter...there was no story-relevant reason they were White to begin with. Some superheroes do have ethnicities/races that are relevant (Storm, Black Panther, Luke Cage, Sunfire). For some White heroes, their whiteness is part of their ethnic identity such as Mat Murdock as Daredevil, where his strong religious identity of Catholic is part of his Irish identity.

And keep this in mind....in the comics, Nick Fury was White. But do you really prefer David Hasselhoff (in 1998's "Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.) over Samuel Jackson????

I disagree. In most cases the race is irrelevant. That Annie was White was relevent at the time of her creation, but it's not now. Captain America, Spiderman? Doesn't matter...there was no story-relevant reason they were White to begin with. Some superheroes do have ethnicities/races that are relevant (Storm, Black Panther, Luke Cage, Sunfire). For some White heroes, their whiteness is part of their ethnic identity such as Mat Murdock as Daredevil, where his strong religious identity of Catholic is part of his Irish identity.

And keep this in mind....in the comics, Nick Fury was White. But do you really prefer David Hasselhoff (in 1998's "Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.) over Samuel Jackson????

If you consider the racism during WWII there was a whopping big reason Captain America at least would never have been black.

Spiderman could conceivably be black. Raised by his aunt n uncle is consistent with that :) And being fully concealed what's underneath is totally moot. Thinking of the McGuire version when the subway riders see him after his hood is ripped off, "He's just a kid!" woulda made a great scene for a black Spidey.

But it's still changing the original creator's creation. If they're still alive and say ok go ahead. If not it's like remaking Casablanca where "Rick" is a woman. Speaking of which, "Ghostbusters" all-female remake is along these same lines.

Don't change other people's stuff. Either make your own, or leave it to the original artists to change things drastically.

If you consider the racism during WWII there was a whopping big reason Captain America at least would never have been black.

Correct. But the new, Black Captain America doesn't have his origins in WWII, but in the present, as a replacement of Steve Rogers.

Spiderman could conceivably be black. Raised by his aunt n uncle is consistent with that :) And being fully concealed what's underneath is totally moot. Thinking of the McGuire version when the subway riders see him after his hood is ripped off, "He's just a kid!" woulda made a great scene for a black Spidey.
Racial changes can be jarring and I do disapprove of change for change's sake. I disagreed with Denzel as The Equalizer as Edward Woodward's Englishness (and White Englishness) was an integral part of the character.

But it's still changing the original creator's creation. If they're still alive and say ok go ahead.
Stan Lee is in his 90's and refuses to die.

Correct. But the new, Black Captain America doesn't have his origins in WWII, but in the present, as a replacement of Steve Rogers.

Racial changes can be jarring and I do disapprove of change for change's sake. I disagreed with Denzel as The Equalizer as Edward Woodward's Englishness (and White Englishness) was an integral part of the character.

But it's still changing the original creator's creation. If they're still alive and say ok go ahead.
Stan Lee is in his 90's and refuses to die.

In the case of a 'successor' version I have no problem with it as with a black successor Capt America. Or a Batman, though 'Rising seemed to indicate 'Robin' would be the new Batman as with him entering the Bat Cave then rising literally on the platform.

I'm just against rewriting origin stories changing things. If I write something and someone changes it I'm gonna come for their head :)

It's certainly jarring to see a character that has looked a certain way for a long time suddenly changed. Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury bothered me for that reason. I am a Sam Jackson fan, I have just seen Fury depicted as an older white guy with an eye patch for so long, seeing him played by a black man took getting used to.

In the end, however, I DID get used to it.

I agree with Pinqy on this. So long as the race of the character isn't in some way integral to their story, it doesn't matter the race of an actor playing them. Sam Jackson as Nick Fury? Sure, no problem. Black Johnny Storm and white Sue Storm? That's going to require at least a little change in their origin to pull off (different mother or father, one being adopted, something like that). Characters like Storm and Sunfire, who have origins based on specific ethnicity (she as a Kenyan 'goddess', he as a Japanese hero), would need a complete reworking of origins to change.

Ya, kinda corny to change their races just cuz it feels good

For some White heroes, their whiteness is part of their ethnic identity such as Mat Murdock as Daredevil, where his strong religious identity of Catholic is part of his Irish identity.

Huh? Do you imagine that being 'white' is part of a Catholic identity?

Not related to comics, but there is a gay Bible. And there are some blacks who say that Jesus was black. People are idiots.

For some White heroes, their whiteness is part of their ethnic identity such as Mat Murdock as Daredevil, where his strong religious identity of Catholic is part of his Irish identity.

I don't but it is part of an Irish-Catholic identity

It is interesting the way that he misread that...

Makes you wonder, if there are any other times that libs misread statements or events and see racism where there isn't any...

MMMM??????

Makes you wonder, if there are any other times that libs misread statements or events and see racism where there isn't any...

MMMM??????
He was confused, but I didn't feel I was being accused of any racism

They are all made up anyway......you can make them any color you want

MMMM??????
He was confused, but I didn't feel I was being accused of any racism

Let's ask him.

Unkorare? Were you accusing Pinqy, of being racist?

Is there a big market for a black Spider-Man,Superman or Batman? Because I'm not seeing it.

Forum List

Back