Shock claim: Bush wants impose martial law

Like how getting congressional approval for the bailout involved threatening martial law?

It is bizarre. We didn't want the bailout, the stock market is still sliding, McCain is now talking about another 300 billion dolalrs for mortgages, credit has not yet eased, the fed and other banks around the world are doing all they can, ... and it looks like at least some of this stuff, that we the people on either side of the aisle didn't want, is happening because someone in washington is saying things like 'if you don't pass it well have to impose martial law.'

And, it is a matter of record that Bush got rid of the martial comitatus thingy, and that there are now troops doing martial law training exercises on home soil -for the first time in decades.

I don't personally have a problem with the topic going under conspiracy theory, but there's plenty that is in the record that is creepy and a real departure from past administrations, on this.

You may want to check your facts. McCain said 300 out of the 700 already approved. but then reality has never been you liberals strong point has it?

You dumbshits do not even understand the very military you despise. There is NO way that the military would support a take over. If you were not so busy dreaming up these fantasies you would already now that.

You may want to check your facts. McCain said 300 out of the 700 already approved. but then reality has never been you liberals strong point has it?

You dumbshits do not even understand the very military you despise. There is NO way that the military would support a take over. If you were not so busy dreaming up these fantasies you would already now that.

I am not a liberal, and I don't understand the military - so if you could help out with this I'd appreciate it.

If Bush ordered martial law in NO after katrina would the military have agreed?

If the bailout didn't pass, and there was some sort of depression and civil unrest and Bush ordered martial law, would the military agree?

TIA.

So... if some others come forward and substantiate it, it is more of a concern?

And I had no idea about this, prior to this thread:

Bush Paves the Way for Martial Law: 2007 National Defense Authorization Act overturns Posse Comitatus Act

It's a problem because it is looking like a pattern - he overturns posse comitatus (matter of record), and now there are rumors that something as harmless as tightening credit and slipping socks is enough to declare martial law.

I agree that they should be substantiated, sure, of course, but I am glad to be brought up to speed on some of this.

Right now I see several things that could neccessitate federal intervention, all of which would be mass hysteria. Bush has put into place mechanisms that would deal with that. Would you like to be protected from hysterical idiots running around create a state of anarchy in your town or do you think your local police can handle it ?

Why would he have to impose MARTIAL LAW?

And if he did, would you join with him in defending his right to do so?

I happen to believe that if our banks fail and we have an economic ceash we will see our cities burn, local Governments and police forces will fall and we will need the military.

BUT unless Bush gets the permission of Congress and explains it or it is obvious our military will NEVER allow it. And no amount of chaos will prevent the election or the peaceful change of power. That you believe otherwise tells you you are insane or just plain stupid.

I think I would like for the hysteria to happen first, because "putting mechanisms in place" creates a little hysteria all on its own.

That you believe otherwise tells you you are insane or just plain stupid.

I don't believe otherwise, I haven't said anything about the election - I don't really think anything will happen there although I don't trust Bush and never have but that is a generality -

I do believe that brad sherman said martial law was threatened (I saw the video myself), that posse comitatus was overturned, and that military training for urban US action by marines happened this past summer in Indy.

There's a difference in those two positions.

I am not a liberal, and I don't understand the military - so if you could help out with this I'd appreciate it.

If Bush ordered martial law in NO after katrina would the military have agreed?

If the bailout didn't pass, and there was some sort of depression and civil unrest and Bush ordered martial law, would the military agree?

TIA.

The Military is US. They are not third world starved homeless crooks that the government feeds and pays as killers and despots. The Military will follow legal orders, BUT preventing the election or the transfer of the Presidency is ILLEGAL.

IF chaos ensues the military will do their duty but they will not allow Bush to remain in office. Won't happen.

You dumbshits need to see your shrinks.

Only to paranoid freaks with no understanding of the military.

Oh and how many paranoid freaks does it take to become a problem because I am pretty sure there are some out there?

And how does a paranoid freak compare to a sheeple that isn't curious about whetehr tehre is a real issue here or not?

Thanks for any help on this, I promise I am not a loony. :D

The Military is US. They are not third world starved homeless crooks that the government feeds and pays as killers and despots. The Military will follow legal orders, BUT preventing the election or the transfer of the Presidency is ILLEGAL.

IF chaos ensues the military will do their duty but they will not allow Bush to remain in office. Won't happen.

You dumbshits need to see your shrinks.

I never said Bush would stay in office, and that never even crossed my mind. Please stop saying that that is my concern it isn't.

I said he is a fucking menace, and I say that because he has changed things like warrantless surveillance and apparently this comitatus thing and other. My position is libertarian, not liberal.

Last edited:
I don't believe otherwise, I haven't said anything about the election - I don't really think anything will happen there although I don't trust Bush and never have but that is a generality -

I do believe that brad sherman said martial law was threatened (I saw the video myself), that posse comitatus was overturned, and that military training for urban US action by marines happened this past summer in Indy.

There's a difference in those two positions.

Lets see, Congress is made up of HUNDREDS of Democrats and yet only one no body was threatened? I wonder why Bush felt this Sherman fellow was the key to getting a bail out that the DEM leadership SUPPORTS?

Calm, down and get some valium. The only Coup that every almost happened was in December 2000 when Gore with the aid of 4 Democratic Judges in Florida tried to throw the US election.

Oh and how many paranoid freaks does it take to become a problem because I am pretty sure there are some out there?

And how does a paranoid freak compare to a sheeple that isn't curious about whetehr tehre is a real issue here or not?

Thanks for any help on this, I promise I am not a loony. :D

Lets recap, over 200 members of the House are Democrats? Why did Bush only threaten one nobody? THIS is why it belongs in lala land.

I prefer not to drug myself, thanks :D

The sense I am getting from you is different than the one I read in this interview with a retired general:

Troops Deployed On U.S. Streets By Naomi Wolf

I notice you just ignored the point that over 220 members of the House are Democrats yet Bush only seems to have threatened one no body named Smith.

Further explain exactly why Bush would deploy troops if he is not going to seize power? Could it be he has prudent plans in place in case anarchy breaks out? What does martial law gain Bush if not keeping the power?

Again just for you, our troops are AMERICANS. They are our brothers and sisters. They are volunteers. Most won't admit it but part of why they joined was out of pride for this Country. They will not support a Martial law unless they see a need for it.

Do you fools not know that the US Infantry whether it be Army or Marines are multifacited not only do we train in Urban, Jungle and Desert combat scenarios but also for policing and riot control on a regualr basis. If martial law is legally declared would you want an unprepared military? NO. The chances of that happening are slim considering it would take a drastic change in America and congressional approval. You are viewing the military as a muscle bound freak with no mind or ability to think on its own. We take and follow legal orders. If martial law was imposed the president would also be under military supervision and the ones with the true control would be the generals not the president.

Last edited:
I notice you just ignored the point that over 220 members of the House are Democrats yet Bush only seems to have threatened one no body named Smith.

Cuz that isn't what happened, but I didn't feel like straightening that out.

Sherman says that members (plural) were threatened with martial law, and he didn't say by who. I don't know that it was Bush, it could have been pelosi said Bush would do this, I don't know - it looks like what happened was that martial law was added as one more threat to the general pattern of threat, to get the damn bill passed (DOW is down 141 right now, for today, and down about 800 this week, post bailout.)

Further explain exactly why Bush would deploy troops if he is not going to seize power? Could it be he has prudent plans in place in case anarchy breaks out? What does martial law gain Bush if not keeping the power?

I don't know why. It is a weird thing to add to the list of things he has done, the posse comitatus thing. That has been in place for 200 years, why did he get rid of it - with no fanfare - and now brigades (3000 to 4000 troops according to reports) are deployed *in the US* and marines are training on home soil to manage civil unrest ... it is a weird and bizarre turn of events entirely consistent with the fear mentality that he has championed through his eight years.

Again just for you, our troops are AMERICANS. They are our brothers and sisters. They are volunteers. Most won't admit it but part of why they joined was out of pride for this Country. They will not support a Martial law unless they see a need for it.

I take great comfort in this.

Last edited:
If martial law was imposed the president would also be under military supervision and the ones with the true control would be the generals not the president.

That's good to know, and I freely admit to knowing squat about the military.

Cuz that isn't what happened, but I didn't feel like straightening that out.

Sherman says that members (plural) were threatened with martial law, and he didn't say by who. I don't know that it was Bush, it could have been pelosi said Bush would do this, I don't know - it looks like what happened was that martial law was added as one more threat to the general pattern of threat, to get the damn bill passed (DOW is down 141 right now, for today, and down about 800 this week, post bailout.)

And yet of over 220 members only ONE has made the claim. Go figure.

I don't know why. It is a weird thing to add to the list of things he has done, the posse comitatus thing. That has been in place for 200 years, why did he get rid of it - with no fanfare - and now brigades (3000 to 4000 according to reports) are deployed *in the US* and marines are training on home soil to manage civil unrest ... it is a weird and bizarre turn of events entirely consistent with the fear mentality that he has championed through his eight years.

I take great comfort in this.

You are babbling incoheriently now.

Well, I am happy to concede the argument for the time being, since that seems to be the majority opinion. I'll let you know if anything additional turns up.

Forum List

Back