Shattered Picture Window

Two weeks ago we heard a 'thud' on our sliding glass door. We initially thought it was the dog jumping up on the door to come in but when we looked a young woodpecker was sitting on the patio, stunned (stunned I tell ya!). He was ok.

Two days ago there was a dead mourning dove on the patio, it's neck broken. Figured it hit the sliding glass door too.

This morning I went to let the dog out . . . and there was shattered glass all over the patio. The outside pane of the (approx) 50" by 50" picture window in our bathroom shattered. I can only surmise that the bird hit it just so and caused it to crack. We've had three days of rain and wind and I guess that was all it took to bust the thing. Good thing it was tempered glass. (who the hell wants a big-ass picture window in front of the tub and toilet, anyway? who comes up with this stuff??)

Now, I'm on the search to replace the window . . . or the glass. Anyone ever deal with something like this? Anyone have an thoughts on replacing the glass vs. replacing the window? I talked to a few places and just the glass can be replaced. I have one estimate appt. set for next week and am waiting for two call backs. Don't know if it's cheaper to replace just the glass or the entire window. Personally, I'd like to wall the thing in but we don't have the funds for that.

Whatever we do, it'll probably be just under or a wee bit over our $1,000 homeowners deductible. Murphy!

Did you temporarily replace the broken windown with a piece of plywood?

Or are you going totally hick and hanging up a blue tarp?

Not yet. Waiting for hubs to get home so he can knock out the rest of the broken glass. It keeps falling onto the patio in bits and pieces. Once that's done I want to put plywood on the inside of the window - we can't reach the outside - just in case we get a storm or another bird-brained bird flies into it.

We could go hick and do the tarp, with a big old peace sign painted on for good measure!

Instead of the ":) peace..." sign, what about a confederate flag?

And since it's wide open, I bet your house is completely full of birds by now.

Did you temporarily replace the broken windown with a piece of plywood?

Or are you going totally hick and hanging up a blue tarp?

Not yet. Waiting for hubs to get home so he can knock out the rest of the broken glass. It keeps falling onto the patio in bits and pieces. Once that's done I want to put plywood on the inside of the window - we can't reach the outside - just in case we get a storm or another bird-brained bird flies into it.

We could go hick and do the tarp, with a big old peace sign painted on for good measure!

Instead of the ":) peace..." sign, what about a confederate flag?

And since it's wide open, I bet your house is completely full of birds by now.

Geez Louise, I wish you folks would read for comprehension. :rolleyes: :D

I hadn't thought about just taking the windows out and replacing the glass on the foggy ones. I did take the lower part of the kitchen window and switched it with the laundry room window. There was too much condensation in between the glass and it drove me nuts looking out the window cause I kept thinking it was raining. lol Replacing them is just so not in the budget at this point.

Double pane windows, the outer glass broke the inner glass is still intact. Bouncy, but one piece. Waiting for hubs to get home to knock the rest of the broken glass out of the outside pane of glass. Pics to clarify:

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3873.jpg

The outer pane of glass broke, the inner pane is still fully intact.

Think Plexi Glass. The same thing happened to our bathroom window due to a rock being thrown up by the lawn mower. We looked into just replacing the outer glass and decided to have a piece of plexiglass cut to go back in. You can't tell the difference and it was sure as hell a lot cheaper.

Replace the window and mount one of these with auto detection/activation system to guard against kamikaze birds.

echo_1_minigun_large_001.jpg

Two weeks ago we heard a 'thud' on our sliding glass door. We initially thought it was the dog jumping up on the door to come in but when we looked a young woodpecker was sitting on the patio, stunned (stunned I tell ya!). He was ok.

Two days ago there was a dead mourning dove on the patio, it's neck broken. Figured it hit the sliding glass door too.

This morning I went to let the dog out . . . and there was shattered glass all over the patio. The outside pane of the (approx) 50" by 50" picture window in our bathroom shattered. I can only surmise that the bird hit it just so and caused it to crack. We've had three days of rain and wind and I guess that was all it took to bust the thing. Good thing it was tempered glass. (who the hell wants a big-ass picture window in front of the tub and toilet, anyway? who comes up with this stuff??)

Now, I'm on the search to replace the window . . . or the glass. Anyone ever deal with something like this? Anyone have an thoughts on replacing the glass vs. replacing the window? I talked to a few places and just the glass can be replaced. I have one estimate appt. set for next week and am waiting for two call backs. Don't know if it's cheaper to replace just the glass or the entire window. Personally, I'd like to wall the thing in but we don't have the funds for that.

Whatever we do, it'll probably be just under or a wee bit over our $1,000 homeowners deductible. Murphy!

first, call your insurance company.....houses may not be the same as with Cars, but the 5 times our car front wind shields were cracked from stones shooting out from under the car or truck in front of us, there was no deductible.

also, the insurance company probably has a list of glass/window repairers that you can choose from.

Forum List

Back