Shattered Picture Window

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
Two weeks ago we heard a 'thud' on our sliding glass door. We initially thought it was the dog jumping up on the door to come in but when we looked a young woodpecker was sitting on the patio, stunned (stunned I tell ya!). He was ok.

Two days ago there was a dead mourning dove on the patio, it's neck broken. Figured it hit the sliding glass door too.

This morning I went to let the dog out . . . and there was shattered glass all over the patio. The outside pane of the (approx) 50" by 50" picture window in our bathroom shattered. I can only surmise that the bird hit it just so and caused it to crack. We've had three days of rain and wind and I guess that was all it took to bust the thing. Good thing it was tempered glass. (who the hell wants a big-ass picture window in front of the tub and toilet, anyway? who comes up with this stuff??)

Now, I'm on the search to replace the window . . . or the glass. Anyone ever deal with something like this? Anyone have an thoughts on replacing the glass vs. replacing the window? I talked to a few places and just the glass can be replaced. I have one estimate appt. set for next week and am waiting for two call backs. Don't know if it's cheaper to replace just the glass or the entire window. Personally, I'd like to wall the thing in but we don't have the funds for that.

Whatever we do, it'll probably be just under or a wee bit over our $1,000 homeowners deductible. Murphy!

If you have to replace it I would look into double paned window replacement.

It could save you some energy bills depending on where you live.

Then get decals to put on the window so birds dont think its a cave where they can eat bugs.

We had to replace ours. Hubby was mowing the yard and a pebble hit one of our patio windows and shattered it. We replaced it with French doors, you might want to think about it. We like them better than the patio. Much easier to keep clean and birds don't fly into them.

Alright Zoom ... what is it that you have in your home that the birds are after? :lol: Poor things.

We've never replaced a window or glass, but I would think it would be cheaper just to replace the glass.

We were installing seamless glass shower doors ( well, my husband and dad were ) several years ago, and one of them shattered! They both were lifting the door to fit it in the runner and they bent it just enough that glass went flying EVERYWHERE! I never ran up my stairs so fast. Thankfully, neither of them were injured.

The French doors idea is unique . . . I guess I forgot to mention that the window that broke was on the second floor! lol

I can't figure out why two birds in two weeks have flown into a door and window. I mean, I clean the windows spring and fall but . . . .seriously?

The outside of the bathroom window has never been cleaned. Can't reach it. The seal on it had leaked, as there was condensation in between the panes of glass. I talked to one guy and he said that probably didn't have anything to do with why it broke.

I had most of it swept up this morning and decided to put on a hat, sunglasses and a long-sleeved shirt to sweep it into a dustpan, just in case more glass fell out. I wasn't inside two minutes when a gust of wind sprayed tons more glass all over the patio. That was a few hours ago. I don't know whether to go out and sweep it up again or wait until hubby gets home. I'm gonna see if he'll climb on a ladder and knock out the rest of the glass. I'm really concerned that something will it the remaining piece of glass between now and whenever it gets replaced. Maybe we should put up plywood on the inside? We can't really reach the outside too well to do this, as it's likely a two person job. Whoever replaces the window or glass will put something over it but that might not be until next week at the earliest.

Two weeks ago we heard a 'thud' on our sliding glass door. We initially thought it was the dog jumping up on the door to come in but when we looked a young woodpecker was sitting on the patio, stunned (stunned I tell ya!). He was ok.

Two days ago there was a dead mourning dove on the patio, it's neck broken. Figured it hit the sliding glass door too.

This morning I went to let the dog out . . . and there was shattered glass all over the patio. The outside pane of the (approx) 50" by 50" picture window in our bathroom shattered. I can only surmise that the bird hit it just so and caused it to crack. We've had three days of rain and wind and I guess that was all it took to bust the thing. Good thing it was tempered glass. (who the hell wants a big-ass picture window in front of the tub and toilet, anyway? who comes up with this stuff??)

Now, I'm on the search to replace the window . . . or the glass. Anyone ever deal with something like this? Anyone have an thoughts on replacing the glass vs. replacing the window? I talked to a few places and just the glass can be replaced. I have one estimate appt. set for next week and am waiting for two call backs. Don't know if it's cheaper to replace just the glass or the entire window. Personally, I'd like to wall the thing in but we don't have the funds for that.

Whatever we do, it'll probably be just under or a wee bit over our $1,000 homeowners deductible. Murphy!

Did you temporarily replace the broken windown with a piece of plywood?

Or are you going totally hick and hanging up a blue tarp?

That seems expensive for one window.

We have hurricane resistant windows...almost nothing can shatter them.

Sorry, I just asumed that when you said sliding glass door that it was patio doors. We don't have a 2nd story so I don't think about an upstairs!!! My Bad!

what kinda window....i took the windows out of the frames and had the double panes replaced...it wasnt that bad....as long as the frame isnt damaged go with fixing instead of replacing

what kinda window....i took the windows out of the frames and had the double panes replaced...it wasnt that bad....as long as the frame isnt damaged go with fixing instead of replacing

The window is a builder's grade called Capitol. They are junk. We have 17 windows in total and at least 7 of them have started fogging up in between the panes of glass. We have honeycomb room darkening shades in the bedrooms (Bali, cut to fit at Depot. I highly recommend them, keeps the room mighty dark even during the day) and we pull them down during the heat in the summer and the really cold stuff in the winter (I live in NE PA) and when you pull the shades up in the morning in the winter, the inside of the window - where the glass meets the vinyl - is iced over. They truly suck. We replaced the builders grade patio door with a Pella two years ago . . . no more ice on the inside of the door. Lovely!

For estimates, we have a glass replacement guy coming Tuesday. They do glass replacement and contract out window replacement. We have Home Depot guy coming Sunday afternoon.

Depending on the cost we'd love to replaced the whole window but . . . .cripes, money is tight. I know there's a tax credit for replacing windows with energy efficient stuff. Guess we have homework to do.

Did you temporarily replace the broken windown with a piece of plywood?

Or are you going totally hick and hanging up a blue tarp?

Not yet. Waiting for hubs to get home so he can knock out the rest of the broken glass. It keeps falling onto the patio in bits and pieces. Once that's done I want to put plywood on the inside of the window - we can't reach the outside - just in case we get a storm or another bird-brained bird flies into it.

We could go hick and do the tarp, with a big old peace sign painted on for good measure!

can you take the windows out and put them back in?

just fix the fog windows...take them to a glass shop....depending on the size...is the cost.

mine ran around 50 a window...you can just pop them out and back in...

can you take the windows out and put them back in?

just fix the fog windows...take them to a glass shop....depending on the size...is the cost.

mine ran around 50 a window...you can just pop them out and back in...

I hadn't thought about just taking the windows out and replacing the glass on the foggy ones. I did take the lower part of the kitchen window and switched it with the laundry room window. There was too much condensation in between the glass and it drove me nuts looking out the window cause I kept thinking it was raining. lol Replacing them is just so not in the budget at this point.

Forum List

Back