Shattered Picture Window

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zoom-boing, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,124
    Two weeks ago we heard a 'thud' on our sliding glass door. We initially thought it was the dog jumping up on the door to come in but when we looked a young woodpecker was sitting on the patio, stunned (stunned I tell ya!). He was ok.

Two days ago there was a dead mourning dove on the patio, it's neck broken. Figured it hit the sliding glass door too.

This morning I went to let the dog out . . . and there was shattered glass all over the patio. The outside pane of the (approx) 50" by 50" picture window in our bathroom shattered. I can only surmise that the bird hit it just so and caused it to crack. We've had three days of rain and wind and I guess that was all it took to bust the thing. Good thing it was tempered glass. (who the hell wants a big-ass picture window in front of the tub and toilet, anyway? who comes up with this stuff??)

Now, I'm on the search to replace the window . . . or the glass. Anyone ever deal with something like this? Anyone have an thoughts on replacing the glass vs. replacing the window? I talked to a few places and just the glass can be replaced. I have one estimate appt. set for next week and am waiting for two call backs. Don't know if it's cheaper to replace just the glass or the entire window. Personally, I'd like to wall the thing in but we don't have the funds for that.

Whatever we do, it'll probably be just under or a wee bit over our $1,000 homeowners deductible. Murphy!

2. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    If you have to replace it I would look into double paned window replacement.

It could save you some energy bills depending on where you live.

Then get decals to put on the window so birds dont think its a cave where they can eat bugs.

3. Kyleigh Maria

Kyleigh Maria Live...Love...Laugh

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yes. Attached some of those vinyl decals or some suncatchers or something.

And quit using Windex. It doesn't leave streaks.

4. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,392
    We had to replace ours. Hubby was mowing the yard and a pebble hit one of our patio windows and shattered it. We replaced it with French doors, you might want to think about it. We like them better than the patio. Much easier to keep clean and birds don't fly into them.

5. masquerade

masquerade positivity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Alright Zoom ... what is it that you have in your home that the birds are after? :lol: Poor things.

We've never replaced a window or glass, but I would think it would be cheaper just to replace the glass.

We were installing seamless glass shower doors ( well, my husband and dad were ) several years ago, and one of them shattered! They both were lifting the door to fit it in the runner and they bent it just enough that glass went flying EVERYWHERE! I never ran up my stairs so fast. Thankfully, neither of them were injured.

6. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,124
    The French doors idea is unique . . . I guess I forgot to mention that the window that broke was on the second floor! lol

I can't figure out why two birds in two weeks have flown into a door and window. I mean, I clean the windows spring and fall but . . . .seriously?

The outside of the bathroom window has never been cleaned. Can't reach it. The seal on it had leaked, as there was condensation in between the panes of glass. I talked to one guy and he said that probably didn't have anything to do with why it broke.

I had most of it swept up this morning and decided to put on a hat, sunglasses and a long-sleeved shirt to sweep it into a dustpan, just in case more glass fell out. I wasn't inside two minutes when a gust of wind sprayed tons more glass all over the patio. That was a few hours ago. I don't know whether to go out and sweep it up again or wait until hubby gets home. I'm gonna see if he'll climb on a ladder and knock out the rest of the glass. I'm really concerned that something will it the remaining piece of glass between now and whenever it gets replaced. Maybe we should put up plywood on the inside? We can't really reach the outside too well to do this, as it's likely a two person job. Whoever replaces the window or glass will put something over it but that might not be until next week at the earliest.

7. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    Did you temporarily replace the broken windown with a piece of plywood?

Or are you going totally hick and hanging up a blue tarp?

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,825
    That seems expensive for one window.

We have hurricane resistant windows...almost nothing can shatter them.

9. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,392
    Sorry, I just asumed that when you said sliding glass door that it was patio doors. We don't have a 2nd story so I don't think about an upstairs!!! My Bad!

10. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    What about a sledgehammer?