Sexual orientation of parents does affect their children

The only thing that affects a childs sexuality is his SEXUAL ORIENTATION.

BS, if a child is a gay home has its sexuality affected its on the parents, not the child. Bottom line, kids belong in a two parent mother and father home, not in a gay household.

Mr Bass speks from experience, Mr Bass' mother is mulatta and Native American. His grandmother calls him black as well his mother, so whats the problem?

What does that have to do with the question I just posed to you? I gave you a *specific* example to deal with, and you glossed over it with a happening from your own life that's completely irrelevant.

Tell you what.. I'm gone for a couple days. When I get back, I'll look for this thread. By then, you should have enough time to come up with a valid answer.

Any child that's "different" in any way gets picked on. Interracial marriages are "different". Homosexual marriages are "different". Children raised in either one are considered "different".

"Different" gets picked on. Simple as that.

BS, if a child is a gay home has its sexuality affected its on the parents, not the child. Bottom line, kids belong in a two parent mother and father home, not in a gay household.

So you're telling me you could have been gay?

Journal of Biosocial Science (Published Online)

CHILDREN OF HOMOSEXUALS AND TRANSSEXUALS MORE APT TO BE HOMOSEXUAL

PAUL CAMERON

Abstract

Do the sexual inclinations of parents influence those of their children? Of 77 adult children of homosexual parents who volunteered for three different investigations, at least 23 (30%) were currently homosexual: twelve (55%) of 22 daughters and three (21%) of fourteen sons of lesbians; five (29%) of seventeen daughters and three (17%) of eighteen sons of gays; none of six sons with both a gay and a lesbian parent. At least 25 (32%) were currently heterosexual. Of the ten with transsexual parents, one of nine daughters was currently lesbian, one was currently heterosexual, and one was transsexual. The son’s sexual preference was not reported. These findings suggest that parents’ sexual inclinations influence their children’s.

I have no problem with people who have different sexual preferences. What they do in the privacy of their bedroom is not my business.

But, I am biased because I would prefer a "traditional" family for children. These are the values that I was brought up with and these are the same ones I am passing on to my children.

Life is hard already, we don't need to make life harder on children by burdening them with parents that are gay.

I don't have the same feeling towards interracial marriage. My children are a product of a interracial marriage and we have always considered this to be positive. My children are happy and no one has ever discriminated against me, my husband or our children.

I think you're comparing apples and oranges. Perhaps society will feel different a hundred years from now. But right now, there's a huge stigma on these children with gay parents. It's something that they will carry for the rest of their life.

I understand your point of view, some people think being gay is wrong and so from that perspective they may feel that a person who is gay should not be gay and therefore not have a family. Our Country has evolved quite a bit Im glad to hear your children have not experienced any discrimination based on your family life. I just think everyone should also have that right to not be discriminated against for there family lifestyle as well. Also, I appreciate your insight and thoughts on the subject and polite manner in which you present it. We both agree that kids with gay parents certainly do have to suffer for the "gay" stigma attached to the parents.

You just said that if you had been raised by gay parents..YOU'D BE GAY.

Never said that, read Mr Bass' posts again. There is some evidence that children in gay homes do have their sexuality affected, maybe not all but some, and even if some are affected gay adoptions should be banned.

Data suggesting that gay adoptions have no effect on the "sexual orientation" on the children in such adoptions shouldn't be taken at face value as all true. Since it isn't gay adoptions should be halted and banned.

You have certainly suggested such. You can't start a thread suggesting that certain environmetal factors can affect the sexual orientaion of children and then make a statement that you "could never be gay". That negates your entire argument.

You have certainly suggested such. You can't start a thread suggesting that certain environmetal factors can affect the sexual orientaion of children and then make a statement that you "could never be gay". That negates your entire argument.

Read the article and the link, nothing said about environmental factors. It was about a re-evaluation of the theory that children in gay homes are not adversely affected by their parents sexuality, and it appears that there are cracks in that theory so it cannot be accepted and promoted as all true.

Read the article and the link, nothing said about environmental factors. It was about a re-evaluation of the theory that children in gay homes are not adversely affected by their parents sexuality, and it appears that there are cracks in that theory so it cannot be accepted and promoted as all true.

Parent's sexuality = environmental factor. Geez. You're arguing that things OTHER THAN your intrinsic sexual orientation affect sexuality, maybe. But when you make this argument you must concede that you could have been gay under different circumstances. This is what you're saying: Under different circumstances, Mr. Bass might have been gay.

Parent's sexuality = environmental factor. Geez. You're arguing that things OTHER THAN your intrinsic sexual orientation affect sexuality, maybe. But when you make this argument you must concede that you could have been gay under different circumstances. This is what you're saying: Under different circumstances, Mr. Bass might have been gay.

Mr Bass isn't a sodomite gay queer butt shagger, but anyways, this is about the parents sexuality affecting the children and since it does affect some children gay adoption of children needs to stop. Gays should not use the adoption of children to further promote acceptance of their sexual lifestyle and life of gay sex acts.

I think little bobby would feel weird in the 1940's having each parent be of a different race when he looked around back then, I think little bobby may also feel weird if his parents are indocrinating him with there perhaps highly disapproved of religion. I think little bobby will feel awkward having gay parents in a society that frowns on it. In light of that fact, perhaps in time little bobby won't have to feel bad about his gay parents either. It may take 100 years but by then Im sure little bobby will have to feel ashamed about something else society sees wrong about his parents.

I don't think having gay parents in itself is the same kind of isolation little bobby would feel if he had molesting parents, drug addicted neglectful parents, nor parents that physically beat and torture him. In my opinion all kids go through phases of being embaressed by there parents, even parents society deems "good parents". I think little bobby will have more of an isolating experience because of the "gay" factor. But I think that is overcome with love & nurturing like it is in any family that faces persecution for being different.

You keep taking it back to race. The discussion is same gender parents adopting children.

However, to address your comment, I have held the same opinion in regard to children of mixed marriages.

You're also doing the comparing same-gender parents to abusers, drug abusers, molestors, etc. Comparing them to the worst something else has to offer is hardly intellectually honest.

You can think what you like, but there is NOTHING parents can do at home with "love and nurturing" that will overcome a child being rejected by their peers.

Mr Bass isn't a sodomite gay queer butt shagger, but anyways, this is about the parents sexuality affecting the children and since it does affect some children gay adoption of children needs to stop. Gays should not use the adoption of children to further promote acceptance of their sexual lifestyle and life of gay sex acts.

Well how would you propose we stop them? Maybe we can force their surrogate mothers to have abortions? It's really childish to state what people should or shouldn't do based on your opinion. You realize that right?

I've overcome a lot of rejection from peers based on my family. I also know kids who have gay parents and they are perfectly happy and not gay. Additionally the gay people I do know had straight parents, a mom & dad traditional family. I don't think gay parents in itself turns adopted kids into being gay. Since I am not against gays I suppose if exposure to it made them feel ok with it and open about it, then of course I have no problem if a child from gay parents is gay. I think if anyone is being honest they will admit gay people have straight parents from traditional families and still were gay.

Beyond that the reason for pointing out not only race but religious discrimination as well is because when society has a problem with one group there tends to be discrimination and persecution and children do suffer from that. We can't show statistics of what it would be like for children who didnt endure discrimination in society from being raised by gay parents. but we can see that when society begins to except the differences of others even if there race or religion is different that children experiencing less isolation in society. Therefore, if there was not such a stigma attached to gay and persecution and accusation that children raised by gays are going to be gay, then they might not suffer so much in society for there parents choices.

Since I don't have a personal issue with gay people being gay, perhaps children don't either. The point I was making about parents who are drug abusers and physical sexual abusers was to contrast that gay parents aren't abusive just because they are gay. certainly if kids were being abused children experiencing gross parenting whithers a childs expectation of love. That is why I said love and nurturing even in a family that is considered different can overcome many obstacles.

I hope that clarifies it better. Bottom line, straight parents or gay parents, will end up having gay kids & straight kids. but the kids who had gay parents will more likely suffer from society accusations that there parents made them gay. Just my opinion.

I've overcome a lot of rejection from peers based on my family. I also know kids who have gay parents and they are perfectly happy and not gay. Additionally the gay people I do know had straight parents, a mom & dad traditional family. I don't think gay parents in itself turns adopted kids into being gay. Since I am not against gays I suppose if exposure to it made them feel ok with it and open about it, then of course I have no problem if a child from gay parents is gay. I think if anyone is being honest they will admit gay people have straight parents from traditional families and still were gay.

You aren't focussing on the argument. You are all over the place, tossing any and everything into the discussion. Your entire paragraph projects your opinion as if it is "the" only result and the correct one. What you think is nice and you are entitled to think it.

Beyond that the reason for pointing out not only race but religious discrimination as well is because when society has a problem with one group there tends to be discrimination and persecution and children do suffer from that. We can't show statistics of what it would be like for children who didnt endure discrimination in society from being raised by gay parents. but we can see that when society begins to except the differences of others even if there race or religion is different that children experiencing less isolation in society. Therefore, if there was not such a stigma attached to gay and persecution and accusation that children raised by gays are going to be gay, then they might not suffer so much in society for there parents choices.

You're trying to argue utopian idealism, not reality, and arguing that a conclusion you have reached is the correct one. Introducing race and religion as comparative is trying to prop up your argument. Being gay, and/or having same gender parents in no way compares to racial or religious persecution beyond the surface. Homosexuality is biologically abnormal. Race is biologically normal and religion is taught. Neither are as universally reviled througout history as homosexuality.

Since I don't have a personal issue with gay people being gay, perhaps children don't either. The point I was making about parents who are drug abusers and physical sexual abusers was to contrast that gay parents aren't abusive just because they are gay. certainly if kids were being abused children experiencing gross parenting whithers a childs expectation of love. That is why I said love and nurturing even in a family that is considered different can overcome many obstacles.

Again, you project your opinion as the correct one. The point you make by comparing same gender parents to abusive parents is that same gender parents do not stand up against normal, loving parents, and it's a relativist argument designed to deceive and present a one-sided point of view.

If I compare myself to Ted Bundy, I'm a great guy.

If I compare myself to Albert Einstein, I'm pretty dumb.

Again, all the love and nurturing in the world will NOT overcome peer pressure for children. Acceptance by their peers is all-important for children; especially, through their teenage years.

I hope that clarifies it better. Bottom line, straight parents or gay parents, will end up having gay kids & straight kids. but the kids who had gay parents will more likely suffer from society accusations that there parents made them gay. Just my opinion.

Again, you are making an argument that isn't being discussed. I haven't said a word about whether or not gay parents produce gay children. My original comment is that same-gender parents WILL affect their children simply because they are same-gender parents.

You can't sweep that under the rug. We are affected and shaped by our immediate environment from day one, and you cannot rule out society, nor place attributes on society it doesn't possess. Not including society's judgment into the mix is a recipe for disaster, and unrealistic thinking.

Gay parents does not translate into gay children. Human sexuality is a complex issue and there are biological and environmental factors that go into this equation, i.e. gay parents.

I discussed this (gay adoption) with the husband and he is not opposed to a gay couple adopting. He said that if the couple wants so much to have a child to love and nurture, who is to say this is a terrible thing. They might turn out to be great parents. He mentioned a woman that he knew at work who was quite plain. She wasn't married and got her herself inseminated twice and is now raising two children by herself. Because she didn't go the traditional route because of circumstances of nature, should she be denied motherhood. I was quite struck by that. I don't know if it changed my attitude. But I do question, if by circumstances and it could be by nature for gays, should they be denied parenthood?

You aren't focussing on the argument. You are all over the place, tossing any and everything into the discussion. Your entire paragraph projects your opinion as if it is "the" only result and the correct one. What you think is nice and you are entitled to think it.

You're trying to argue utopian idealism, not reality, and arguing that a conclusion you have reached is the correct one. Introducing race and religion as comparative is trying to prop up your argument. Being gay, and/or having same gender parents in no way compares to racial or religious persecution beyond the surface. Homosexuality is biologically abnormal. Race is biologically normal and religion is taught. Neither are as universally reviled througout history as homosexuality.

Again, you project your opinion as the correct one. The point you make by comparing same gender parents to abusive parents is that same gender parents do not stand up against normal, loving parents, and it's a relativist argument designed to deceive and present a one-sided point of view.

If I compare myself to Ted Bundy, I'm a great guy.

If I compare myself to Albert Einstein, I'm pretty dumb.

Again, all the love and nurturing in the world will NOT overcome peer pressure for children. Acceptance by their peers is all-important for children; especially, through their teenage years.

Again, you are making an argument that isn't being discussed. I haven't said a word about whether or not gay parents produce gay children. My original comment is that same-gender parents WILL affect their children simply because they are same-gender parents.

You can't sweep that under the rug. We are affected and shaped by our immediate environment from day one, and you cannot rule out society, nor place attributes on society it doesn't possess. Not including society's judgment into the mix is a recipe for disaster, and unrealistic thinking.

Im not arguing Im discussing and explaining my opinion. It is perfectly fine with me if you don't agree with it. but I explained it exactly the way I see it. Now what is your opinion do you think gay parents adopting children turn them gay why or why not?

Gay parents does not translate into gay children. Human sexuality is a complex issue and there are biological and environmental factors that go into this equation, i.e. gay parents.

I discussed this (gay adoption) with the husband and he is not opposed to a gay couple adopting. He said that if the couple wants so much to have a child to love and nurture, who is to say this is a terrible thing. They might turn out to be great parents. He mentioned a woman that he knew at work who was quite plain. She wasn't married and got her herself inseminated twice and is now raising two children by herself. Because she didn't go the traditional route because of circumstances of nature, should she be denied motherhood. I was quite struck by that. I don't know if it changed my attitude. But I do question, if by circumstances and it could be by nature for gays, should they be denied parenthood?

Your very eloquent, I suppose in todays times there are certainly all sorts of circumstances that are less then traditional. I am a straight single mom of 2, even though it is not traditional I love my children very much and we are happy. Where I live if you don't get remarried in 3 months they think somethings wrong with you. I appreciate traditional families and how hard they work to keep the family together. I admire people who stay together a long time. It just didnt happen for me.

Forum List

Back