Sexual orientation of parents does affect their children

there is NO WAY it cannot affect the child.

Anyone that wants to believe that's not going to adversely affect a child needs to see me about the purchase of some West Texas swampland.:eusa_eh:

Of course, all parents "affect" children. I can think of many things that affect children. An absent parent, an alcoholic parent, an abusive parent...all have "adverse affects" on children. A homosexual parent does not inherently have an adverse affect on a child. The adverse affect comes from other people who make unfounded judgments on individual parents who happen to be homosexual.

That's true, but it is also true of interracial marriages, it's just my opinion but in my perception the problem falls on society and intolerance.

I have no problem with people who have different sexual preferences. What they do in the privacy of their bedroom is not my business.

But, I am biased because I would prefer a "traditional" family for children. These are the values that I was brought up with and these are the same ones I am passing on to my children.

Life is hard already, we don't need to make life harder on children by burdening them with parents that are gay.

I don't have the same feeling towards interracial marriage. My children are a product of a interracial marriage and we have always considered this to be positive. My children are happy and no one has ever discriminated against me, my husband or our children.

I think you're comparing apples and oranges. Perhaps society will feel different a hundred years from now. But right now, there's a huge stigma on these children with gay parents. It's something that they will carry for the rest of their life.

That's true, but it is also true of interracial marriages, it's just my opinion but in my perception the problem falls on society and intolerance.

Societies are ALWAYS intolerant of something. Look around this board REAL good. Those who claim to be the most tolerant are in fact the most intolerant to opposing points of view.

Regardless ... let's say hypothetically all things are equal. No one says a word. Do you think Little Bobby can't see that everyone else has a mom and dad and he has two of one and none of the other? That alone will make Little Bobby feel different and isolated.

If society is intolerant of mixed races marrying and having children (believe me mixed race children have suffered from prejudice in society), it's sad society discriminates against gay, race or gender, having a gay marriage or raising kids as a gay couple while possibly unacceptable to religious people or unreligious people still doesnt seem like it is illegal. Why is Gay against the law anyway? I don't really understand the illegal part of being gay. I understand the different religious views on it. but I still don't get why being gay is illegal, or why gay marriage or raising kids if your gay you should lose legal rights to them? Perhaps you can explain it where I understand the legal issue of it. There is no doubt that children suffer emotionally by the stigma attached to gay parents, interracial parents, parents of a minority religious viewpoint. So I do not disagree with that. But how does that translate into being illegal?

Being gay is not illegal. Hope that clears it up for you.

Of course, all parents "affect" children. I can think of many things that affect children. An absent parent, an alcoholic parent, an abusive parent...all have "adverse affects" on children. A homosexual parent does not inherently have an adverse affect on a child. The adverse affect comes from other people who make unfounded judgments on individual parents who happen to be homosexual.

You're making a relativist argument but take a look at what kind of parents you are comparing same-gender couples to. Abesent, alcoholic, abusive ... everything but GOOD parents.

Then you try to twist it into a homosexual parent not having an adverse affect on a child. Not if they live on the moon and the child never learns any better, or never takes a biology class that points out things ain't normal around the house. Or he never sees that he's the only one in the neigborhood with two dads.

None of that requires unfounded judgements. Just the child observing the world in which he/she lives.

Edit: In addition, you need to read my posts a bit more carefully. I have not argued the rightness nor wrongness of homosexual parents, so try to address what I am arguing. That regardless your opinion, or anyone else's, given the reality in which we live versus your idealist, unrealistic utopia ... it is completely selfish for homosexuals to raise children in our society. They are thinking only of what they want for them, and not about what is best for the child. If you aren't thinking what is best for the child, you don't need to have one.

You're making a relativist argument but take a look at what kind of parents you are comparing same-gender couples to. Abesent, alcoholic, abusive ... everything but GOOD parents.

I am saying those types of parents - absent, alcoholic, abusive - have "adverse affects" on children. As do parents who teach their children it is normal acceptable behavior to demean other children for being different, by the way.

So who is to say that a child would not be better off in a home where the loving and attentive parents happen to be homosexual, despite whether or not it is an ideal situation...? There is your relativistic argument...the adverse affects of this vs the beneficial affects of that.

The basis of the OP is simplistic...Parents affect children! :eek: Who would have guessed? Lol

Interracial marriages and gay marriage is *NOT* the same and cannot be compared. This thread is a about how children are affected, not about tolerance of gay marriage.

I am saying those types of parents - absent, alcoholic, abusive - have "adverse affects" on children. As do parents who teach their children it is normal acceptable behavior to demean other children for being different, by the way.

So who is to say that a child would not be better off in a home where the loving and attentive parents happen to be homosexual, despite whether or not it is an ideal situation...? There is your relativistic argument...the adverse affects of this vs the beneficial affects of that.

The basis of the OP is simplistic...Parents affect children! :eek: Who would have guessed? Lol

Gay parents automatically affect children, no way of getting around it and the "loving and caring" crap is irrelevant, no one gays are incapable of loving and caring, its about the whole fact that a mother-father home is what's best for the child and the "sexual orientation of the parents does affect the child.

Interracial marriages and gay marriage is *NOT* the same and cannot be compared. This thread is a about how children are affected, not about tolerance of gay marriage.

Sure it can be compared, in the simple sense that it's "different" from the "norm". Children who are part of an interracial marriage are just as likely to get picked on for being different as those being raised by gay parents.

Sure it can be compared, in the simple sense that it's "different" from the "norm". Children who are part of an interracial marriage are just as likely to get picked on for being different as those being raised by gay parents.

No it isn't the same and cannot be compared, if thats the case we could say a French marrying a German or a Moroccan marrying an Egyptian is out of the norm. Two people of the same sex being married is far out of the norm, interracial marriage, unions and children have been around for ages.

No it isn't the same and cannot be compared, if thats the case we could say a French marrying a German or a Moroccan marrying an Egyptian is out of the norm. Two people of the same sex being married is far out of the norm, interracial marriage, unions and children have been around for ages.

You're denying the fact that they get picked on just as much as any other "different" child.

You're denying the fact that they get picked on just as much as any other "different" child.

Mixed children are accepted by blacks as blacks, they're ,ore likely to get picked on by whites. This is irrelevant to the fact that child regardless of race is better served and cared for by a two parents, a mother and father.

Mixed children are accepted by blacks as blacks, they're ,ore likely to get picked on by whites. This is irrelevant to the fact that child regardless of race is better served and cared for by a two parents, a mother and father.

They are, huh? Can you give me a valid reason for a black grandmother saying "This is my grandson X. He's mixed." like she feels the need to justify why he looks different?

Gay marriages and interracial marriages ARE the same.....in the south.

you're an idiot.

Can't accept a scientific study? If a child's sexuality is affected by being in a gay marriage they certainly should not be parented by gays, end of discussion. That's what this thread is about, not these straw arguments and emotive arguments based on political correctness.

Can't accept a scientific study? If a child's sexuality is affected by being in a gay marriage they certainly should not be parented by gays, end of discussion. That's what this thread is about, not these straw arguments and emotive arguments based on political correctness.

The only thing that affects a childs sexuality is his SEXUAL ORIENTATION.

Societies are ALWAYS intolerant of something. Look around this board REAL good. Those who claim to be the most tolerant are in fact the most intolerant to opposing points of view.

Regardless ... let's say hypothetically all things are equal. No one says a word. Do you think Little Bobby can't see that everyone else has a mom and dad and he has two of one and none of the other? That alone will make Little Bobby feel different and isolated.

I think little bobby would feel weird in the 1940's having each parent be of a different race when he looked around back then, I think little bobby may also feel weird if his parents are indocrinating him with there perhaps highly disapproved of religion. I think little bobby will feel awkward having gay parents in a society that frowns on it. In light of that fact, perhaps in time little bobby won't have to feel bad about his gay parents either. It may take 100 years but by then Im sure little bobby will have to feel ashamed about something else society sees wrong about his parents.

I don't think having gay parents in itself is the same kind of isolation little bobby would feel if he had molesting parents, drug addicted neglectful parents, nor parents that physically beat and torture him. In my opinion all kids go through phases of being embaressed by there parents, even parents society deems "good parents". I think little bobby will have more of an isolating experience because of the "gay" factor. But I think that is overcome with love & nurturing like it is in any family that faces persecution for being different.

They are, huh? Can you give me a valid reason for a black grandmother saying "This is my grandson X. He's mixed." like she feels the need to justify why he looks different?

Mr Bass speks from experience, Mr Bass' mother is mulatta and Native American. His grandmother calls him black as well his mother, so whats the problem?

Forum List

Back