Sexual orientation of parents does affect their children

Bass v 2.0

Biblical Warrior For God.
Jun 16, 2008
Pennsylvania
Another strike against gay adoptions and homosexual parenting:

Psychol Rep. 2008 Aug;103(1):275-304.

Re-evaluation of the "no differences" hypothesis concerning gay and lesbian parenting as assessed in eight early (1979-1986) and four later (1997-1998) dissertations.

Schumm WR.

Academic and policy effects of eight early dissertations on gay and lesbian parenting are discussed with a focus on their having been cited at least 234 times in over 50 literature reviews, beginning with Gottman in 1989 and 1990. Most literature reviews, referencing these eight early dissertations and agreeing with Gottman's early conclusions, have reiterated the theme that parenting by gay men or lesbians has outcomes no different than parenting by heterosexual parents. Here it is proposed that certain potential adverse findings may have been obscured by suppressor effects which could have been evaluated had multivariate analyses been implemented. Further, several adverse findings were detected by reanalyzing data where sufficient information was yet available. Some of the dissertations' results (absent controls for social desirability and other differences between homosexual and heterosexual parents) supported the 2001 "no differences" hypothesis discussed by Stacey and Biblarz. Yet, differences were also observed, including some evidence in more recent dissertations, suggesting that parental sexual orientation might be associated with children's later sexual orientation and adult attachment style, among other outcomes. Odds ratios associated with some of the apparent effects were substantial in magnitude as well as statistically significant. Also, more recent research on gay and lesbian parenting continues to be flawed by many of the same limitations as previous research in this area of study, including overlooked suppressor effects.

Re-evaluation of the "no differences" hypothesis c...[Psychol Rep. 2008] - PubMed Result

blah blah blah blah blah blahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh give me a freakin break! I think you should replace the blah blah blah with blah blah !(threw up in her mouth)

blah blah blah blah blah blahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh give me a freakin break! I think you should replace the blah blah blah with blah blah !(threw up in her mouth)

WTH? This is a bonafide scientific study, what's your problem?

Another strike against gay adoptions and homosexual parenting:

Psychol Rep. 2008 Aug;103(1):275-304.

Re-evaluation of the "no differences" hypothesis concerning gay and lesbian parenting as assessed in eight early (1979-1986) and four later (1997-1998) dissertations.

Schumm WR.

Academic and policy effects of eight early dissertations on gay and lesbian parenting are discussed with a focus on their having been cited at least 234 times in over 50 literature reviews, beginning with Gottman in 1989 and 1990. Most literature reviews, referencing these eight early dissertations and agreeing with Gottman's early conclusions, have reiterated the theme that parenting by gay men or lesbians has outcomes no different than parenting by heterosexual parents. Here it is proposed that certain potential adverse findings may have been obscured by suppressor effects which could have been evaluated had multivariate analyses been implemented. Further, several adverse findings were detected by reanalyzing data where sufficient information was yet available. Some of the dissertations' results (absent controls for social desirability and other differences between homosexual and heterosexual parents) supported the 2001 "no differences" hypothesis discussed by Stacey and Biblarz. Yet, differences were also observed, including some evidence in more recent dissertations, suggesting that parental sexual orientation might be associated with children's later sexual orientation and adult attachment style, among other outcomes. Odds ratios associated with some of the apparent effects were substantial in magnitude as well as statistically significant. Also, more recent research on gay and lesbian parenting continues to be flawed by many of the same limitations as previous research in this area of study, including overlooked suppressor effects.

Re-evaluation of the "no differences" hypothesis c...[Psychol Rep. 2008] - PubMed Result

All the above tells us is that there are differences in outcomes without telling us what they are.

What it tells Mr. Bass is that gay adoptions shouldn't be allowed.

Assuming you have not managed to find and interrogate the data behind those dozen lines of text (in which case, link please), how have you managed to weave a handful of may have's, could have's and might be's into a 'Ban Gay Adoptions' t-shirt?

C'mon, were you wearing that tee already? Were ya? Were ya? :doubt:

Assuming you have not managed to find and interrogate the data behind those dozen lines of text (in which case, link please), how have you managed to weave a handful of may have's, could have's and might be's into a 'Ban Gay Adoptions' t-shirt?

C'mon, were you wearing that tee already? Were ya? Were ya? :doubt:

Data suggesting that gay adoptions have no effect on the "sexual orientation" on the children in such adoptions shouldn't be taken at face value as all true. Since it isn't gay adoptions should be halted and banned.

Children should be placed in a "traditional" family -- mother, father... To do otherwise would be unfair to the children.

Children should be placed in a "traditional" family -- mother, father... To do otherwise would be unfair to the children.

Agreed. Placing them in gay homes simply because of a lack of adoptions is inexcusable and a detriment to those children.

In My Shoes: Stories of Youth with LGBT Parents

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46L3zeBnN2U]YouTube - In My Shoes: Stories of Youth with LGBT Parents (excerpt)[/ame]

The politically correct denialists can wail and scream all they want, but the fact is, there is NO WAY it cannot affect the child.

I tend to look at those parents as pretty-much the ultimate in selfishness. They are concerned with what THEY want, and not the welfare of a child and how their relationship will be viewed by the world that child is forced to grow up in.

The most obvious aspect being the brutal honesty and cruelty of children. And screw that "kids shouldn't be that way, I'll sue" shit. Kids are kids and they ARE that way.

NO WAY if your parents are the same gender do you NOT get ridiculed for it by your peers. That's not to mention the ones who just flat out aren't allowed to be around you.

Anyone that wants to believe that's not going to adversely affect a child needs to see me about the purchase of some West Texas swampland.:eusa_eh:

That's true, but it is also true of interracial marriages, it's just my opinion but in my perception the problem falls on society and intolerance.

That's true, but it is also true of interracial marriages, it's just my opinion but in my perception the problem falls on society and intolerance.

Horseshit----you don't just do whatever you damn well feel like doing and then blame society for not being tolerant of it.

If society is intolerant of mixed races marrying and having children (believe me mixed race children have suffered from prejudice in society), it's sad society discriminates against gay, race or gender, having a gay marriage or raising kids as a gay couple while possibly unacceptable to religious people or unreligious people still doesnt seem like it is illegal. Why is Gay against the law anyway? I don't really understand the illegal part of being gay. I understand the different religious views on it. but I still don't get why being gay is illegal, or why gay marriage or raising kids if your gay you should lose legal rights to them? Perhaps you can explain it where I understand the legal issue of it. There is no doubt that children suffer emotionally by the stigma attached to gay parents, interracial parents, parents of a minority religious viewpoint. So I do not disagree with that. But how does that translate into being illegal?

If society is intolerant of mixed races marrying and having children (believe me mixed race children have suffered from prejudice in society), it's sad society discriminates against gay, race or gender, having a gay marriage or raising kids as a gay couple while possibly unacceptable to religious people or unreligious people still doesnt seem like it is illegal. Why is Gay against the law anyway? I don't really understand the illegal part of being gay. I understand the different religious views on it. but I still don't get why being gay is illegal, or why gay marriage or raising kids if your gay you should lose legal rights to them? Perhaps you can explain it where I understand the legal issue of it. There is no doubt that children suffer emotionally by the stigma attached to gay parents, interracial parents, parents of a minority religious viewpoint. So I do not disagree with that. But how does that translate into being illegal?

It's not illegal to be homosexual.

Forum List

Back