Sen. Rockefeller: FCC Should Take FOX News, MSNBC Off Airwaves

Did you not say "FOXNews, MSNBC, and the 24 hour news cycle are a big reason why this country is spiraling the drain. The country would be better off without them" ?

And didn't say that you "if I had a vote to shut them down it would be a "Nay."

On one hand you say the country would be better off without them and on the other hand you say you wouldn't vote to get rid of the very thing thast you claim is causing this country to spiral down the drain.

So either you don't give a shit about this country or you don't actually believe the bullshit you spew.

Let's try option C, brainiac ... I believe exactly what I said but I also understand that it isn't my place nor the government's to shut them down. It's the whole "I may disagree with what you are saying but I would defend your right to say it," concept ... you know, free speech. I don't know how much more American it gets than to hold contempt for something that is Constitutionally protected yet when blessed with the power to do away it choosing not to do so.

Fair enough. But answer me this, what exactly is it about FOXNews, MSNBC, and the 24 hour news cycle that that makes you believe it is causing this country to spiral down the drain? And please be specific.

constant outrage over nothing, "mustard gate" is a great example, partisan nonsense 24/7, NOT covering things that actually matter while covering "entertainmnet" / reality tv and so on. I get better news about our country from BBC than I do any MSM here

No, you obviously didn't or you wouldn't say I backtracked.

Wow. Solid "logic" there. I think the way the Yankees operate is "bad" for baseball but I wouldn't vote to shut them down either.

About now is the time where you should be figuring out that both positions aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Given your two moronic options, neither. Nothing.

Did you not say "FOXNews, MSNBC, and the 24 hour news cycle are a big reason why this country is spiraling the drain. The country would be better off without them" ?

On one hand you say the country would be better off without them and on the other hand you say you wouldn't vote to get rid of the very thing thast you claim is causing this country to spiral down the drain.

So either you don't give a shit about this country or you don't actually believe the bullshit you spew.

Let's try option C, brainiac ... I believe exactly what I said but I also understand that it isn't my place nor the government's to shut them down. It's the whole "I may disagree with what you are saying but I would defend your right to say it," concept ... you know, free speech. I don't know how much more American it gets than to hold contempt for something that is Constitutionally protected yet when blessed with the power to do away it choosing not to do so.

If you actually believed that you could have said it in the first place. It was not until you were called on your willingness to let the government shut down news organizations that you tried to backtrack to your current position. Funny how almost everyone who reads this thread can take your words in context and reach the exact same conclusion. The only exceptions are those who started from the back of the thread.

Maybe just Fox, I like MSNBC..

Not really, I don't want them off the air, maybe a fine for every proven false comment. I'm certain Fox would be fined the most.

msnbc would have gone out of business during their tea party coverage

If you actually believed that you could have said it in the first place. It was not until you were called on your willingness to let the government shut down news organizations that you tried to backtrack to your current position. Funny how almost everyone who reads this thread can take your words in context and reach the exact same conclusion. The only exceptions are those who started from the back of the thread.

no you are just making a baseless assumption. all he said was that they are destructive, assuming that he would be for something unconstitutional to shut them down is a large leap of faith

Oh look another idiot who lacks simple reading comprehension!

I read everything correctly, even the part where you backtracked. You say it's BAD for America but you wouldn't vote to eliminate it, so either you don't think it's all that bad or you don't give a shit about America.

Which is it and what do you have against free speech?

Fallacy: False Dilemma

Perhaps you should read your own link. Fact is dumbass 15 stated that Foxnews, MSNBC and the 24 hour news cylce is harming our country, but he wouldn't be willing to do anything about it. So therefore the logical conclusion can only be one of two things, either the harm isn't as great as he first percieved or he doesn't care enough about the harm he's alleging it's causing to cast a ballot to preserve this nation.

Call it what you will, I call it as I see it and I see it as an asshole talking out of both sides of his mouth.

I'd be in favor of some bi-partisan assigned "News" licenses..where it's assured that the stories that get reported are true. Bias is one thing. Complete or Semi falsehoods are another entirely.

Kinda like the difference between professional boxing and wrestling.

Let me get this straight. You want the government to determine who does, and does not, get to call themselves a news organization. Just how do you think this will be a good thing?

It probably would be complicated..and I have no idea how to implement it. I've had some pretty fierce discussions about this with my friends in the press. They are totally against it.

It might be something along the lines of strengthening defamation/slander laws.

Why, they work as they are. Do you think it is better to have laws like they do in Germany where a person can sue even if you are telling the truth?

Perhaps the reason your friends are against this is it is something that this country has fought against from the beginning. If the government can regulate the press we will be no better than Russia under the communists.

Nope.

He's not as honest as Carter..but compared to Nixon, Reagan, BushI, BushII..the guy is practically a saint when it comes to truth telling.

Then you don't really dislike lies and falsehoods unless it comes from a Republican. Typical liberal hypocrite!

Nixon broke into an opponents office:
Violated:

Secretly bombed Cambodia and Laos:
Violated:

Reagan secretly sold weapons to Iran while supporting the Contras despite ratification of arms embargo against Iran and congress voting against funding the Contras:
Violated:
Section 7 - Revenue Bills, Legislative Process, Presidential Veto

All bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.

Every Bill which shall have passed the House of Representatives and the Senate, shall, before it become a Law, be presented to the President of the United States; If he approve he shall sign it, but if not he shall return it, with his Objections to that House in which it shall have originated, who shall enter the Objections at large on their Journal, and proceed to reconsider it. If after such Reconsideration two thirds of that House shall agree to pass the Bill, it shall be sent, together with the Objections, to the other House, by which it shall likewise be reconsidered, and if approved by two thirds of that House, it shall become a Law. But in all such Cases the Votes of both Houses shall be determined by Yeas and Nays, and the Names of the Persons voting for and against the Bill shall be entered on the Journal of each House respectively. If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law.

Section 8 - Powers of Congress

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
Bush I lied about raising taxes during the campaign. (Full disclosure..I thought he was a pretty decent president)

Bush II lied about a whole lot of things..like invading Iraq. He also lied about getting warrants before implementing wiretaps. He also had secret prisons and lied about torture.

Violated:

Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment 5 - Trial and Punishment, Compensation for Takings. Ratified 12/15/1791.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment 6 - Right to Speedy Trial, Confrontation of Witnesses. Ratified 12/15/1791.

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.
Like I said..I don't like lies.

I just don't sweat the small stuff.

Obama has ordered the military to target US citizens.

Obama gives order to kill American terror imam - Times Online

Doesn't that violate due process?

All Hail our commie MASTERS.:eusa_whistle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwPkQ3jKWY

comments at site.

I agree with what the Senator said 100%

Both corporations mentioned are far more interested in fear mongering and "spinning" than actually providing truth and information that is useful to debate.

Many forget that the airways are ours..not thiers.. It would serve the public if THEY remembered that also.

Since I do not watch either of these corporations blatherings I have no problem if thier liscences were terminated for doing more harm than good with the privilege they have abused.

no you are just making a baseless assumption. all he said was that they are destructive, assuming that he would be for something unconstitutional to shut them down is a large leap of faith

Baseless assumption?

The second post of the thread, right after the OP posted about Rockefeller calling for the FCC to take two news channels off the air, was this.

FOXNews, MSNBC, and the 24 hour news cycle are a big reason why this country is spiraling the drain. The country would be better off without them.

You can argue that I am making an assumption, but it is far from baseless. He could have easily reacted to the idea of the government shutting down the press it does not like if his first thought was to defend freedom of the press. His first thought was actually that this is a good idea because these channels are a big reason this country is spiraling down the drain.

I personally despise the KKK, and would have no real problem if every single one of them was beaten within an inch of his life. Despite that, my first reaction whenever anyone tries to shut them up is that they have a right to say whatever they want, and I will stand up and fight for that right, for them, and by extension, for you.

That was not Arts gut reaction, which tells me that he would have no problem with the government shutting them up. Even his attempt to backtrack is loaded with proof that he thinks it is a good idea. What kind of defense of free speech is I wouldn't vote for it?

My assumptions are far from baseless.

comments at site.

Both corporations mentioned are far more interested in fear mongering and "spinning" than actually providing truth and information that is useful to debate.

Many forget that the airways are ours..not thiers.. It would serve the public if THEY remembered that also.

Since I do not watch either of these corporations blatherings I have no problem if thier liscences were terminated for doing more harm than good with the privilege they have abused.

The FCC cannot regulate cable TV dumbass!

comments at site.

First off, they are ours, that's the point. Second, the government does not have the right to shut down the press because they do not like it. And third, and actually the only thing that really matters, these are cable channels, and thus do not need anyone's permission to broadcast. they do not go over the air, they go through cables. You have to pay for them to watch them at all, and no one is forcing you, or anyone else, to buy them.

comments at site.

The FCC cannot regulate cable TV dumbass!

Oh yes they most certainly do.

The rules are much looser in regards to content (but there are still content rules), and they also enforces business rules in regards to cable companies.

comments at site.

First off, they are ours, that's the point. Second, the government does not have the right to shut down the press because they do not like it. And third, and actually the only thing that really matters, these are cable channels, and thus do not need anyone's permission to broadcast. they do not go over the air, they go through cables. You have to pay for them to watch them at all, and no one is forcing you, or anyone else, to buy them.

Then I suggest they be regulated under the ricco act for conspiracy to commit a fraud(callling themselves "news").

And even anti trust laws could be applied as they have pushed out the transmission of local actual airways broadcasted news and programming.

I get it...without your "fix" of Glenn beck to masterbate with and the EVIL Oberman to get mad at you hacks wouldn't have an idea in your pin heads.

I think a good public fraud case could be built with the Florida Supreme Court ruling in favor of "the right to lie" case as it's foundation.

OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T TAKE AWAY MY PRECIOUS FOX!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

How would the country EVER survive??????

You people are pathetic!

Then I suggest they be regulated under the ricco act for conspiracy to commit a fraud(callling themselves "news").

And even anti trust laws could be applied as they have pushed out the transmission of local actual airways broadcasted news and programming.

I get it...without your "fix" of Glenn beck to masterbate with and the EVIL Oberman to get mad at you hacks wouldn't have an idea in your pin heads.

I think a good public fraud case could be built with the Florida Supreme Court ruling in favor of "the right to lie" case as it's foundation.

OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T TAKE AWAY MY PRECIOUS FOX!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

How would the country EVER survive??????

You people are pathetic!

What a genius comeback, exactly what I would expect of you. Did you miss the fact that I am defending both Fox and MSNBC? Neither of which I watch, by the way. When I did watch either of these channels I spent more time watching MSNBC than Fox. If they both disappeared without government interferance I would have no porblem at all. There is actually a principal involved here, something that is beyond your comprehension.

BTW, NBC was the network that put a report they new was faked on the Dateline long before Fox News even had a single minute of air time. Lying in news programs seems to be a cherished tradition.

And third, and actually the only thing that really matters, these are cable channels, and thus do not need anyone's permission to broadcast.

Except, ya know, the FCC's.

Except, you know, they do not broadcast, which was my point.

If they do not broadcast, then they don't need permission to broadcast?

Is this your point?

OK I guess :cuckoo:

The FCC still regulates cable companies, and must approve of their existence.

Except, ya know, the FCC's.

Except, you know, they do not broadcast, which was my point.

If they do not broadcast, then they don't need permission to broadcast?

Is this your point?

OK I guess :cuckoo:

The FCC still regulates cable companies, and must approve of their existence.

Actually, they don't. They regulate cable providers, like Roadrunner and Comcast, but they do not regulate the channels. That is why HBO can show R-rated movies and CBS can get fined for a nipple flash that was so small and fast that no one can even prove what Janet Jackson had on.

Forum List

Back