Sen. Rockefeller: FCC Should Take FOX News, MSNBC Off Airwaves

Then you don't really dislike lies and falsehoods unless it comes from a Republican. Typical liberal hypocrite!

Nixon broke into an opponents office:
Violated:

Secretly bombed Cambodia and Laos:
Violated:

Reagan secretly sold weapons to Iran while supporting the Contras despite ratification of arms embargo against Iran and congress voting against funding the Contras:
Violated:
Bush I lied about raising taxes during the campaign. (Full disclosure..I thought he was a pretty decent president)

Bush II lied about a whole lot of things..like invading Iraq. He also lied about getting warrants before implementing wiretaps. He also had secret prisons and lied about torture.

Violated:

Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment 5 - Trial and Punishment, Compensation for Takings. Ratified 12/15/1791.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment 6 - Right to Speedy Trial, Confrontation of Witnesses. Ratified 12/15/1791.

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.
Like I said..I don't like lies.

I just don't sweat the small stuff.

Obama has ordered the military to target US citizens.

Obama gives order to kill American terror imam - Times Online

Doesn't that violate due process?

Yes.

But then you have to dissemble this whole "War on Terror" and the notion of "Enemy Combatants".

Which I am in favor of doing..once and for all.

Then you don't really dislike lies and falsehoods unless it comes from a Republican. Typical liberal hypocrite!

Violated:

Violated:

Reagan secretly sold weapons to Iran while supporting the Contras despite ratification of arms embargo against Iran and congress voting against funding the Contras:
Violated:

Bush I lied about raising taxes during the campaign. (Full disclosure..I thought he was a pretty decent president)

Bush II lied about a whole lot of things..like invading Iraq. He also lied about getting warrants before implementing wiretaps. He also had secret prisons and lied about torture.

Violated:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment 5 - Trial and Punishment, Compensation for Takings. Ratified 12/15/1791.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment 6 - Right to Speedy Trial, Confrontation of Witnesses. Ratified 12/15/1791.

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

If all the accusations you made were in fact true, then why wasn't those people prosecuted?

Nixon? Quit.

Reagan? Popular President.

Bush II? Popular President.

And Presidents don't get prosecuted..they get removed from office.

Did you not say "FOXNews, MSNBC, and the 24 hour news cycle are a big reason why this country is spiraling the drain. The country would be better off without them" ?

And didn't say that you "if I had a vote to shut them down it would be a "Nay."

On one hand you say the country would be better off without them and on the other hand you say you wouldn't vote to get rid of the very thing thast you claim is causing this country to spiral down the drain.

So either you don't give a shit about this country or you don't actually believe the bullshit you spew.

Let's try option C, brainiac ... I believe exactly what I said but I also understand that it isn't my place nor the government's to shut them down. It's the whole "I may disagree with what you are saying but I would defend your right to say it," concept ... you know, free speech. I don't know how much more American it gets than to hold contempt for something that is Constitutionally protected yet when blessed with the power to do away it choosing not to do so.

If you actually believed that you could have said it in the first place. It was not until you were called on your willingness to let the government shut down news organizations that you tried to backtrack to your current position.

Backtracking would involve me saying I was in favor of the gov't shutting down FOX and MSNBC in the first place. I never did that and it's either dishonesty or a lack of reading comprehension skills on your part that is keeping you from processing that.

Funny how almost everyone who reads this thread can take your words in context and reach the exact same conclusion.

What's funny is that "everyone" means right wing hacks like you, Steph, and Lonestar who came that conclusion. Take a good look at the company you are keeping.

The only exceptions are those who started from the back of the thread.

You should really stop trying to read minds, dude.

Did it ever occur to you that the exceptions are those who actually read what I said clearly and didn't kneejerk into partisan hack mode?

Except, you know, they do not broadcast, which was my point.

If they do not broadcast, then they don't need permission to broadcast?

Is this your point?

OK I guess :cuckoo:

The FCC still regulates cable companies, and must approve of their existence.

Actually, they don't. They regulate cable providers, like Roadrunner and Comcast, but they do not regulate the channels. That is why HBO can show R-rated movies and CBS can get fined for a nipple flash that was so small and fast that no one can even prove what Janet Jackson had on.

Wrong-o.

They regulate both.

If they do not broadcast, then they don't need permission to broadcast?

Is this your point?

OK I guess :cuckoo:

The FCC still regulates cable companies, and must approve of their existence.

Actually, they don't. They regulate cable providers, like Roadrunner and Comcast, but they do not regulate the channels. That is why HBO can show R-rated movies and CBS can get fined for a nipple flash that was so small and fast that no one can even prove what Janet Jackson had on.

Wrong-o.

They regulate both.

Where?

General Cable Television Industry and Regulation Information Fact Sheet

Wrong-o.

They regulate both.

Where?

General Cable Television Industry and Regulation Information Fact Sheet
FCC rules generally do not govern the selection of programming that is broadcast. The main exceptions are: restrictions on indecent programming, limits on the number of commercials aired during children's programming, and rules involving candidates for public office.

The Commission enforces regulations that were designed to ensure competition among cable companies, satellite companies and other entities that offer video programming services to the general public.

Television and Cable FAQs

Violated:

Violated:

Violated:

Violated:

If all the accusations you made were in fact true, then why wasn't those people prosecuted?

Just because a crime has gone unpunished is certainly not proof there was no crime.

I believe that we protect our war criminals from prosecution because we have lowered ourselves to the level of the terrorists and would rather present a view to the rest of the world that "we are dumber and crazier than you are and we are the best armed nation on the planet..DON'T FUCK WITH US!!!" Sorta why nice families keep a pitbull in the front yard. :lol: :lol:

FCC rules generally do not govern the selection of programming that is broadcast. The main exceptions are: restrictions on indecent programming, limits on the number of commercials aired during children's programming, and rules involving candidates for public office.
The Commission enforces regulations that were designed to ensure competition among cable companies, satellite companies and other entities that offer video programming services to the general public.

Those are two separate set of rules, one that covers broadcast TV and radio stations, and one that covers cable and satellite providers. Neither of them covers licensing cable channels. As a matter of fact, cable providers are specifically required to provide access to public, educational, or governments, even if they do not have a license. This is why you can watch your local city council meetings, or, if you are in NYC, a bunch of idiots sitting around without any clothing talking about tea, or whatever they talk about.

FOXNews, MSNBC, and the 24 hour news cycle are a big reason why this country is spiraling the drain. The country would be better off without them.

Absolute BULLSHIT. Until Fox showed up NONE of the news organizations cared one whit about a Conservative view and openly tailored their programs and reporting on the left end of the spectrum. Get rid of Fox and the rest will return to one sided reporting.

Unfucking believable that you dumb asses advocate censorship because you can not compete. Allow that and you can kiss a free press goodbye.

So the "conservative view" is one lie after another? Hey, you want to go on a 200 million dollar a day trip?

So I know that Fox lies. You only have to go to Youtube, search "Fox lies", and you can watch them endlessly.

What did MSNBC lie about? Please add links.

So I know that Fox lies. You only have to go to Youtube, search "Fox lies", and you can watch them endlessly.

Seriously, do you really want to go there?.....Making an ass out of you yet again, for yet ANOTHER stupid statement by YOU is just too damn easy.

Go up on YOUTUBE and the lies from MSNBC are endless.

The apologies from Maddow, Olbermann, Shultz, Mathews, Brewer etc. are endless after they were forced to apologize after their ABJECT lies have been fully exposed.

Anybody remember the "white racist" who was carying a gun in the crowd at an Obama rally?........That one alone is friggin' classic.

LMAO!

Last edited:
So you guys show a black guy carrying a gun to a political rally and the proves MSNBC lied?
You guys are hilarious. Let me tell you, a "real" lie is "Obama spent 200 million dollars a day on a state visit". Or Obama wants to add in "death panels". Those things are lies. And I have a hundred more.

slide_9967_131183_large.jpg

2010-04-20-Ft.HuntVAVanderboegh3smaller.jpg

fort%20hunt%20rally.jpg

alaska%20parade.jpg

WILLIAM%20KOSTRIC.jpg

So you guys show a black guy carrying a gun to a political rally and the proves MSNBC lied?
You guys are hilarious. Let me tell you, a "real" lie is "Obama spent 200 million dollars a day on a state visit". Or Obama wants to add in "death panels". Those things are lies. And I have a hundred more.

slide_9967_131183_large.jpg

2010-04-20-Ft.HuntVAVanderboegh3smaller.jpg

fort%20hunt%20rally.jpg

alaska%20parade.jpg

WILLIAM%20KOSTRIC.jpg

Appearently you do not pay very good attention.

The death panels are alive. Or in Obamas case one man says you are to old.

We are letting the lobbyists write the regs. Damn you repubs for opposing.

Those are two separate set of rules, one that covers broadcast TV and radio stations, and one that covers cable and satellite providers. Neither of them covers licensing cable channels. As a matter of fact, cable providers are specifically required to provide access to public, educational, or governments, even if they do not have a license. This is why you can watch your local city council meetings, or, if you are in NYC, a bunch of idiots sitting around without any clothing talking about tea, or whatever they talk about.

Of course it's two separate rules. Point is, there are still regulations governing cable television. Which proves that the "cable is not regulated by the FCC" argument is invalid.

On this one, the far right weirdos have it right. The government should not censor propaganda mills anymore than any other form of public speech.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=msnbc+lies&aq=f
They all lie, especially if it improves their ratings, as far as I can tell tv news is more about making a great piece of entertainment rather than earnestly telling the truth. :lol:

I agree. I stopped trusting any news agency around the time I graduated from high school.

Of course it's two separate rules. Point is, there are still regulations governing cable television. Which proves that the "cable is not regulated by the FCC" argument is invalid.

If you look back through the thread you will see that I pointed out that the FCC does indeed regulate cable, and would love to regulate the cable channels themselves. My only beef is your insistence that cable channels need a license.

If you look back through the thread you will see that I pointed out that the FCC does indeed regulate cable, and would love to regulate the cable channels themselves. My only beef is your insistence that cable channels need a license.

I never said they needed a license. I said that the FCC must approve of their existence:

REGISTRATION OF A CABLE SYSTEM

Before commencing operation, a cable system operator must send the following information to the Secretary of the Commission for each community to be served:

(1) The legal name of the operator, the entity identification or social security number, and whether the operator is an individual, private association, partnership or corporation. If the operator is a partnership, the legal name of the partner responsible for communications with the Commission;

(2) The assumed name (if any) used for doing business in the community;

(3) The mailing address, including zip code, and the telephone number to which all communications are to be directed;

(4) The date the system provided services to 50 or more subscribers;

(In order to comply with the requirements relating to aeronautical frequency usage, a system must register in advance of providing service to any subscribers, so that a subsequent aeronautical notification may be timely filed pursuant to § 76.615(b)).

(5) The name of the community or area served and the county in which it is located;

(6) The television broadcast signals to be carried;

(7) A certification that the applicant is not subject to a denial of federal benefits pursuant to Section 5301 of the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988, 21 U.S.C., 853a, or, in the case of a non-individual applicant (for instance, a corporation, partnership, or other unincorporated association), that no party to the application is subject to a denial of federal benefits pursuant to that section; and

(8) For a cable system (or an employment unit) with six or more full-time employees, a statement of the proposed community unit's equal employment opportunity program, unless such program has previously been filed for the community unit or is not required to be filed based on an anticipated number if fewer than six full-time employees.

A registration statement must be signed by an authorized representative of the cable television company. The Commission issues a public notice setting forth the details of each registration statement as it is received. The cable television operator is not required to serve the registration statement on any party and may begin operation immediately upon filing the registration statement. However, commencement of operation is entirely at the risk of the system operator. If violations of the rules are subsequently discovered, appropriate regulatory sanctions, including imposition of a monetary forfeiture and/or the issuance of a cease and/or desist order, may be employed.

Forum List

Back