Sen. Feinstein: ‘Bad Time’ to Press for Gun Control

bigrebnc1775

][][][% NC Sheepdog
Jun 12, 2010
Kannapolis, N.C.
So when exactly is there a good time for gun control? Most Americans don't want it but if it wasn't election year I am sure she would be pushing for it even though most Americans don't want it.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, one of more outspoken gun-control advocates in Congress, said today that both Mitt Romney and President Obama should give the gun control issue a lot of “consideration,” but said now is a “bad time” to press the issue politically.
“I think that they should give it a lot of consideration, I think this is a bad time to embrace such a new subject,” the California Democrat said said on “Fox News Sunday.” “There has been no action because there is no outrage out there, people haven’t rallied forward.”
Sen. Feinstein: ‘Bad Time’ to Press for Gun Control - ABC News

Can you say tyranny?

Granny says fergit gun control - what we really need is ammo control...
:cool:
Obama and Romney Do Not Change Course Over Outcry on Gun Violence
July 23, 2012 - President Obama and his challenger, Mitt Romney, echoed each other in embracing the role of national grief counselor in the wake of the deadly rampage in Colorado last week, offering stirring words of condolence and comfort.
But neither has responded to calls for a renewed debate over how to prevent gun violence. Asked on Sunday whether Mr. Obama favored new gun control initiatives, his spokesman, Jay Carney, twice said the main focus of the president — who four years ago called for an assault-weapons ban — was to “protect Second Amendment rights.” “He believes we need to take steps that protect Second Amendment rights of the American people but that ensure that we are not allowing weapons into the hands of individuals who should not, by existing law, obtain those weapons,” Mr. Carney said on Air Force One as the president flew to Colorado to meet with survivors of the mass shooting. “If he had said almost anything else it would be used in a fund-raising appeal by the N.R.A.,” said Representative Earl Blumenauer, Democrat of Oregon. “There are very few political leaders that think there is any opportunity in a constructive way to do something in this political climate.”

For his part, Mr. Romney reiterated Monday that he saw no need to renew the federal ban on assault weapons that expired in 2004. “I still believe that the Second Amendment is the right course to preserve and defend and don’t believe that new laws are going to make a difference in this type of tragedy,” Mr. Romney told CNBC. Both candidates have supported gun control in the past, but their views shifted as Americans have backed away from stricter gun laws, and both men have felt a political sting from earlier positions. Mr. Obama’s remark in 2008 that rural voters “cling to guns or religion” wreaked political damage on him four years ago, exposing him to charges of elitism. Mr. Romney, as governor of Massachusetts, signed a ban on assault weapons and quadrupled the fee for gun licenses — positions used to attack him in the primary race and pry away support by the Republican base.

Representative Peter T. King, a New York Republican who favors a federal ban on the type of assault weapon used in the shooting in Aurora, Colo., in which 12 people died and 58 were wounded, said even lesser gun control measures had no future in Congress. “The political reality is at this point the American people have made the decision that gun control is ineffective, that people have the right to have weapons, and the government can’t be trusted and they’d rather trust themselves with a gun,” Mr. King said. Surveys show support for gun control has never been lower. An annual Gallup poll of the issue in October last year found that for the first time, a majority, 53 percent, opposed a ban on semiautomatic guns, or assault rifles, and a record low 26 percent favored banning handguns. Support for stricter laws were down in all subgroups, with 64 percent of Democrats favoring stricter laws, 37 percent of independents and 31 percent of Republicans.

The reason gun control is seen as a political loser in both parties, said Adam Winkler, a Second Amendment expert at the University of California, Los Angeles law school, is that while few advocates of restrictions are single-issue voters, many opponents will vote and donate money based on the issue. “Romney doesn’t want to offend the base he needs to turn out,” said Mr. Winkler, who wrote a book last year, “Gunfight,” about the political battle over gun rights. “Obama doesn’t want to offend the swing voters who might base their vote on the right to bear arms.”

MORE

So when exactly is there a good time for gun control? Most Americans don't want it but if it wasn't election year I am sure she would be pushing for it even though most Americans don't want it.

Can you say tyranny?

Can you prove that statement or is that something you heard on AM radio?

Can you say tyranny?

OH hell can you prove most Americans want gun control?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeze, please, please, Democrats, please get NRA members even more riled up than they already are. Please, pretty please!
Please start calling for making large clips illegal, and other gun restrictions.
Oh pretty please!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeze, please, please, Democrats, please get NRA members even more riled up than they already are. Please, pretty please!
Please start calling for making large clips illegal, and other gun restrictions.
Oh pretty please!

attachment.php

Clip-M1.jpg

m4_mk18cqbr.jpg

poster33090609rc9.jpg

sks_load.jpg

Last edited:

Can you say tyranny?

OH hell can you prove most Americans want gun control?

You said it, not me. I'll take that as a no

The fact that the Dems arent pushing for more gun control indicates that most people don't want more gun control. They learned their lesson in 1994; as they don't want their electoral asses handed to them again, they won't be back.

62% want gun laws enforced, but I don't think they know there are no background checks or limits online, in many gun shows, and in several states...
Hogwash.
No matter what state you live in, there's a background check.
No matter what gun show you go to, when you buy from a dealer, there's a background check.
No matter where you buy on-line, before you can pick up your gun from the dealer facilitating the transfer, there's a background check.

Granny says mebbe what we need is ammo control...
Since Assault Weapons Ban Expired ‘It’s Been Open Season’
July 24, 2012 - - On the House Floor Tuesday, Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) said “It’s been open season” since the expiration of The Assault Weapons Ban in 2004.
“We have work to do in this congress. You see, the assault weapons ban in place for a number of years, of ten years actually, expired in 2004 and after the expiration of the assault weapons ban it’s been open season,” Johnson said after reflecting on last week’s shooting at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado.

“Now I know that there are people who hold the Second Amendment dear and it is established clearly in law that citizens have a right to bear arms, beyond that the Constitution is silent,” Johnson continued. “So, it leaves it up to us to address issues concerning the reasonable regulation of that right. Should we not have any regulations or should we have regulations that are reasonable?”

Johnson did not go into detail on any specific gun laws but highlighted his desire for new regulations. “There are some regulations governing the affairs of people that are reasonable and that includes restrictions on who can bear arms and what kind of arms they can bear. To say that we should have no regulations on weapons, particularly weapons of mass destruction, to me is unwise,” Johnson said.

The Assault Weapons Ban was signed into law by President Bill Clinton in 1994 and banned 19 types of semi-automatic guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds. The law expired in 2004.

Source

Last edited:
Granny says tax `em $10/bullet - dat'll put a stop to a lotta dis crap...
Romney: New gun laws aren't necessary after Aurora
Jul 23, 2012 - Mitt Romney said today he believes new gun legislation is unnecessary and defended an assault-weapons ban he signed into law as Massachusetts governor.
Because the Colorado theater shootings are still fresh in the public consciousness, Romney told CNBC's Larry Kudlow, the timing isn't right for a policy debate on guns. "With emotions so high right now, this is really not a time to be talking about the politics associated with what happened in Aurora," Romney told CNBC. "I still believe that the Second Amendment is the right course to preserve and defend and don't believe that new laws are going to make a difference in this type of tragedy."

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, an independent, called on Romney and President Obama immediately after the Aurora shootings to speak out on what they would do about guns. White House spokesman Jay Carney said Obama has no plans to push for new gun legislation in the wake of the rampage last week during the premiere of the new Batman movie that left 12 people dead. That includes a new version of a federal ban on assault weapons that expired during the George W. Bush administration.

As Massachusetts governor in 2004, Romney signed into law an assault weapons ban that was backed by gun owners and gun control advocates. The Massachusetts law banned the AR-15, one of the weapons that police say was used inside the Colorado theater on Friday. "Where there are opportunities for people of reasonable minds to come together and find common ground, that's the kind of legislation I like," Romney told CNBC. "The idea of one party jamming through something over the objection of the other tends to divide the nation, not make us a more safe and prosperous place."

Source

Sooooo, you said that based on what again?

Based what? That you are trying to get me to split a hair?

He's not asking you to split a hair, you dumb mother fucker. You asserted that most Americans don't want gun control and he's asking you to back that assertion up.

Fuck.

Where's the info inferring most Americans capt air-head? You seem to inject shit into your assertion but your like that in funny sort of way. Maybe a link w/o bias, otherwise syph.

Forum List

Back