Sec State nominee Kerry- climate change top of agenda

Well hell yeah, global warming or as they call it TODAY (climate change) is the position of the Sec. of State

gawd save us from these idiots

Actually, the term climate change has been used for more than twenty years now - the fact you still find that noteworthy suggests to me you probably still have a B&W TV and think mocrowaves cause brain cancer.

Given 2012 was the hottest year in American history, you can probably continue to call it global warming if you prefer.

Tell me how is John Kerry going to stop climate change?

Let me help you out here

He can't.

Well hell yeah, global warming or as they call it TODAY (climate change) is the position of the Sec. of State

gawd save us from these idiots

Actually, the term climate change has been used for more than twenty years now - the fact you still find that noteworthy suggests to me you probably still have a B&W TV and think mocrowaves cause brain cancer.

Given 2012 was the hottest year in American history, you can probably continue to call it global warming if you prefer.

wtf
well we should end our way of living so we can get all the worlds climate in order

Last edited:
Stephanie -

2012 hottest year on record in contiguous U.S., NOAA says

Temperatures in the contiguous United States last year were the hottest in more than a century of record-keeping, shattering the mark set in 1998 by a wide margin, the federal government announced Tuesday.

The average temperature in 2012 was 55.3 degrees, one degree above the previous record and 3.2 degrees higher than the 20th-century average, scientists at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said. They described the data as part of a longer-term trend of hotter, drier and potentially more extreme weather.

2012 hottest year on record in contiguous U.S., NOAA says - Washington Post

Stephanie -

Temperatures in the contiguous United States last year were the hottest in more than a century of record-keeping, shattering the mark set in 1998 by a wide margin, the federal government announced Tuesday.

The average temperature in 2012 was 55.3 degrees, one degree above the previous record and 3.2 degrees higher than the 20th-century average, scientists at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said. They described the data as part of a longer-term trend of hotter, drier and potentially more extreme weather.

So?

No amount of government posturing and mandates, taxes and outright control is going to stop the climate from changing.

The earth was here long before us and will be here after we are all extinct.

Stephanie -

so I guess you agree, this is a matter for the Sec. of the State

Let me help you out here

He can't.

By encouraging countries, companies and individuals to do what they need to do to reduce any economic impacts of the change, and to look at ways they can benefit from the impacts.

For instance, the wine industries in Australia and Spain are less viable now than they were 20 years ago to due to the increasing impact of drought, meaning more water is needed. Countries like England and Germany are now more able to produce wine than 20 years ago, because temperatures are slightly warmer.

We probably cann't change the climate - but we can work with it.

I think it's a matter for everyone to be aware of, and to give some thought to.

Sec. of State is obviously in a good position to discuss the issue widely, and help the American people work together to find solutions that are good for the US.

Let me help you out here

He can't.

By encouraging countries, companies and individuals to do what they need to do to reduce any economic impacts of the change, and to look at ways they can benefit from the impacts.

For instance, the wine industries in Australia and Spain are less viable now than they were 20 years ago to due to the increasing impact of drought, meaning more water is needed. Countries like England and Germany are now more able to produce wine than 20 years ago, because temperatures are slightly warmer.

Again so what?

And no amount of "encouragement" is going to stop people in other countries from growing their economies by any means available. Right now cheap energy is the best way for an economy to grow.

I think it's a matter for everyone to be aware of, and to give some thought to.

Sec. of State is obviously in a good position to discuss the issue widely, and help the American people work together to find solutions that are good for the US.

I forgot you live in Finland..So we are suppose to be the "climate police" of the world?

I forgot you live in Finland..So we are suppose to be the "climate police" of the world?

No, you're supposed to do what it best for America and the American people.

Denying science and pretending that the climate is doing just fine is not a solution that serves those interests - and neither is investing in coal.

I see Kerry's role as more one of working with other countries: offering advice, sharing information, and finding common solutions. I'm not sure why anyone would be against that.

Last edited:
And no amount of "encouragement" is going to stop people in other countries from growing their economies by any means available. Right now cheap energy is the best way for an economy to grow.

It makes no ecoonmic sense to destroy your own marketplace.

Most countries have a range of good energy options available to them: nuclear, natural gas, tidal, solar and wind are all sustainable forms of energy.

Coal is not.

Most countries realise this, which is why conservative parties around the world, from the UK to New Zealand, from Finland to Japan and from Argentina to Australia have climate change policies based on 21st century science.

Denying science and pretending that the climate is doing just fine is not a solution that serves those interests - and neither is investing in coal.

Science has been wrong before and is not the be all to end all
but you want to worship them and live your life around them, fine

Why did Obama Nominate this traitor?

Kerry? Traitor? Because he is a politician?

I seem to remember that he fought very bravely for America in a war to which I, personally was opposed yet for the veterans of which I have respect.

So, if they are wrong and we clean up the environment will will have -

a clean environment.

If they are right and we do nothing, we will have -

ruin.

You are free to ignore science if you like.

I just don't think 16th century solutions make for good solutions for 21st century issues.

Are you Amish, by the way?

So, if they are wrong and we clean up the environment will will have -

a clean environment.

If they are right and we do nothing, we will have -

ruin.

No one is against a clean environment..It's when this radical government uses it to eliminate JOBS for the people of this country, but hey all that money going for green energy is sure working in our favor

Last edited:
Stephanie -

Have you noticed how countries (most of them with conservative governments) have been able to create jobs by adopting good climate change strategies?

Look at Scotland, Germany, Korea and Japan....they are all big exporters of things like tidal turbines, flexible solar panels and heat exchange pumps...it's just good business.

btw. For radicalism - see 'ignoring science'. It's what the Taliban does, and very often seems to be what the GOP does. That's radicalism for you.

Well, it certainly works against those who would exploit the labor class to have them dying of climate problems. Fewer workers means higher pay.

we don't need no stinking congress when we have a dictator..
links in article at site

SNIP:

Democrats send wish list to Obama for executive action on climate change

By Zack Colman - 01/24/13 10:44 AM ET

Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) and Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) on Thursday outlined a slate of climate change actions that President Obama could execute with his own authority.

The lawmakers conveyed a bleak outlook for climate legislation this Congress, noting considerable Republican opposition in the House. But they said Obama’s climate comments during his Monday inaugural address raised the prospects for administrative action to address the issue.

“Congress has not been interested in acting, especially in the House, in the last two years. So we’re calling on the president to develop a plan for the administration to take action without action without Congress. … That may well spur Congress to act,” Waxman, the top Democrat on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, told reporters Thursday.

Republican lawmakers, largely in the House, held several votes to block regulation of greenhouse gas emissions. Many Republicans have predicted major climate change bills will go nowhere this Congress.

Noting that, Whitehouse, Waxman and Rep. Edward Markey (D-Mass.) laid out a menu of options for executive action on climate change in a Thursday letter to Obama. Among them were moves federal agencies could take to curb greenhouse gas emissions and enlisting national laboratories to pump out clean-energy technology.

The letter referenced using “broad authorities to lower heat-trapping emissions,” an allusion to the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) ability to regulate emissions from coal-fired power plants.

EPA proposed the first-ever carbon emissions standards on new coal-fired power plants during Obama’s first term. Environmentalists are pressing the administration to create standards for existing plants.

Whitehouse also suggested the federal government could use its procurement powers to strike deals with cleaner, sustainable contractors. And Waxman said the Energy Department could do more with energy efficiency efforts.

All of it here with a lot of comments
Read more: Democrats send wish list to Obama for executive action on climate change - The Hill's E2-Wire
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

Forum List

Back