~Seat Belts~

I suspect seat belt laws came about by the insurance companies pissing in the ears of legislators.

But all in all, it's not a bad idea to wear them. And it's too bad people weren't smart enough to do it on their own.

Most of the time seat belts will save your life...but there are times that they won't. About a year before i met my husband he was in a very serious crash...him and a friend were in a little MG and they hit a truck the size of an F150. The MG split in two and they were both thrown out (the friend lost a leg and still isnt right). But if they'd had seat belts on they would both be dead. But he always wears them now. Most accidents people will have though will not be a major collision, and seat belts will keep you from dying or getting hurt very bad.

I've got an old MG that didn't even have lap belts. It was easier to install 5-point belts than 3-point, so that's what I put in. I've never checked it out but I've been told a couple of times they're not legal for street cars, but I'll gladly pay a fine if it ever comes to that. And continue to use them because in that tiny little car I think my chances are better with them if anything ever happens.

I'm not even sure if this MG had seat belts...this was back in 1978 too and they weren't used by alot of people!

Our fines in Michigan for not wearing them is $60, i think...they may have gone up!

obviously yall dont live in nc....they will fine ya...125 bucks a ticket for not having your seat belt on....i am in the habit of wearing them

We have seat belt laws and fines, but they can't pull you over just for your seat belt. They can fine you for it if they pull you over for something else and you aren't wearing one.

obviously yall dont live in nc....they will fine ya...125 bucks a ticket for not having your seat belt on....i am in the habit of wearing them

We have seat belt laws and fines, but they can't pull you over just for your seat belt. They can fine you for it if they pull you over for something else and you aren't wearing one.

It used to be that way in Michigan, until about 2 years ago they made it a law and the police can stop you for it.

I suspect seat belt laws came about by the insurance companies pissing in the ears of legislators.

But all in all, it's not a bad idea to wear them. And it's too bad people weren't smart enough to do it on their own.

I suspect there's more than a little truth in that. The fact that racing harnesses are not legal under these laws (because they are approved by sanctioning bodies, not DOT) speaks volumes about just how seriously legislators take the usual purported "public purpose" of these laws, which is "to restrain the driver in the event of a sudden violent maneuver". A racing harness will obviously do that, even better than the DOT approved"variety. Big insurance LIKES a nanny state-saves them money, which is all they care about, regardless of what they say. Frankly, If you are an adult, and choose not to use the seatbelt, the only person you are likely to hurt is is yourself, )as with wearing a helmet on a motorcycle or not).

If you had been on as many accident scenes as I have, however, I believe you would choose to wear the belt (or the helmet, if riding a motorcycle). In 99(% of crashes, your chances of walking away with only minor injuries are far better with the seatbelt than without it. I do believe we could have done without making another law for that purpose, though, on the grounds that an adult human being should be entitled to take whatever risk he/she wants with their own carcass, so long as it does not directly endanger others.

Forum List

Back