New Hampshire man lights himself on fire to protest America’s decline...

Reasoning

Apr 15, 2010
New Hampshire man lights himself on fire to protest America’s decline

4dfa1fbe39ef5.preview-300.jpg

June 20, 2011

Late last week, Thomas James Ball reached his breaking point. Driven to desperation by a system that bankrupted him and destroyed his family, Ball walked up to the main door of the Keene County, New Hampshire courthouse, doused himself with gasoline, and lit himself ablaze.
Hardly anyone seems to have noticed.

Conversely, when a 26-year old Tunisian man lit himself on fire a few months ago after police confiscated the fruits and vegetables he had been selling without a proper permit, it launched a wave of revolution across the Middle East.

People were shocked into taking action… protests and riots swept the region and one regime after another crumbled.

Rather than sparking an “American spring” and shocking US citizens into taking their country back, though, Mr. Ball’s act of self-immolation seems to have been largely ignored. There has been scant coverage (and scant is being extremely generous) of Mr. Ball in the mainstream media, and what little coverage there is generally discredits the man as a troublemaker.
This is how the system’s gatekeepers have been so adroit at maintaining the status quo– by suppressing dissent, marginalizing the detractors, and distracting the populace with meaningless, irrelevant drivel.

Mr. Ball left behind a lengthy missive prior to his suicide...

Read the rest of the article @ this link.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bqz0CQHWYI]YouTube - ‪Kramer vs The Mail‬‏[/ame]

Considering our system he might have done more good if he'd doused the Courthouse in gasoline and lit it ablaze than what he did.

Rather than sparking an “American spring” and shocking US citizens into taking their country back, though, Mr. Ball’s act of self-immolation seems to have been largely ignored. There has been scant coverage (and scant is being extremely generous) of Mr. Ball in the mainstream media, and what little coverage there is generally discredits the man as a troublemaker.
This is how the system’s gatekeepers have been so adroit at maintaining the status quo– by suppressing dissent, marginalizing the detractors, and distracting the populace with meaningless, irrelevant drivel.

There's definitely an element of what you cite here - especially the bread and circuses part. But there's also just not much respect for the concept of martyrdom here in the US. Most people just figure anyone who would light themselves on fire is crazy, and see no reason to take their grievances seriously. I'm not saying that view is right or wrong, but I can understand it.

i have always been repulsed by people who set themselves afire....what is the question that this is the answer to?
In this guy's case it apparently kept him from having to pay half of his children's medical bills, around 2,000.

What an idiotic thing to do.

Maybe the OP is not so much about the blazing man, but rather the ever increasing lack of human conscientiousness for our fellow man. Whether or not someone lives or dies is of no concern to us.

Regardless whether the man was depressed, dangerous, or just plain crazy, no one cared enough to notice him burning.

Maybe the OP is not so much about the blazing man, but rather the ever increasing lack of human conscientiousness for our fellow man. Whether or not someone lives or dies is of no concern to us.

Regardless whether the man was depressed, dangerous, or just plain crazy, no one cared enough to notice him burning.
Here's all the suicides reported in the last 30 days. Enjoy the wallow of sadness for them all.

commits suicide - Google News

i have compassion but not for people who set themselves on fire.....i just dont get how this is gonna help anything...there are people with true hardships who didnt have any options...here is someone who has options and takes the worst road possible...i assure you the pain is more than he could imagine.

i have compassion but not for people who set themselves on fire.....i just dont get how this is gonna help anything...there are people with true hardships who didnt have any options...here is someone who has options and takes the worst road possible...i assure you the pain is more than he could imagine.

Not to mention the stigma his family will carry and that the kids are now fatherless.

Which is why when it's my time to go, it'll be a .45ACP up under the chin and not this individual's chosen route. At a certain point the other options just don't look palatable, bones.

Forum List

Back