~Seat Belts~

Dabs

~Unpredictable~
May 13, 2011
~Tennessee~
Simple question, very simple:

Do you wear your seat belt every time you get into your vehicle??..or do you just wear it sometimes??...or do you never wear it at all??

Do you wear your seat belt every time you get into your vehicle??..or do you just wear it sometimes??...or do you never wear it at all??

Putana da seatbeltz.

Hate them. I realize they can save my life, but I hate wearing them. I wear them occasionally.

But what I hate more than that is the gubmint mandating them by law. It is not their job to save us from ourselves. Same with motorcycle helmets.

All the time...just a habit now! My kids have always worn them and now & they automatically put them on now :)

Hate them. I realize they can save my life, but I hate wearing them. I wear them occasionally.

But what I hate more than that is the gubmint mandating them by law. It is not their job to save us from ourselves. Same with motorcycle helmets.

Even tho i believe people really need to wear them, i agree about the govt mandating them. I live in Michigan and it's a law here. I think it's just so the state can collect more money....

I don't mind the seat beat...i HATE the shoulder belt!!!

But i wear them all the time...its the law.

I always wear mine. Became a habit.

I would sign off on not mandating seat belts if folks do a couple things.

One, let the car log if you have your belt on. No belt and your insurance company can refuse to pay benefits.

Two, no belt and my hospital is not compelled to treat you if your credit card is rejected.

Helmets lol.

usually but not always, when i realize im not wearing it i'll put it on like today...5 min after i left my house.

As an aside i've been in a completely nasty highway rollover accident in which a tree hitting my drivers door stopped my car from flipping across the median. I was not wearing a seatbelt and got VERY VERY lucky.

I only wear it when foggy, raining and/or off road. It has saved my ass a couple of times.On a nice sunny day cruising the jungle ? NO. I don't give a shit what the law says. It's a tool. I strap it on when common sense tells me it's a good plan.
Would you wear a bee suit to a movie because someone said you have to ?

I wear mine about 98% of the time. Anyone riding in the car with me wears theirs 100% of the time. I have an uncle who just retired from the fire department. When I was 16 he pulled me aside and told me.... "Scott, I've been to hundreds of traffic accidents in my 20 years on the force. In all that time I've NEVER unbuckled a corpse. I've pulled dead guys out of cars and spent 3 hours cutting live seatbelt wearers out of wrecks but I've never unbuckled a dead guy." THAT really stuck with me.

However, I would be more than happy to see mandatory seatbelt laws rescinded on ONE condition.... that any individual injured in an accident during which they were not wearing a seatbelt would not be able to force the insurance company of the negligent party to pay for their injuries.

Well, I'm a law breaker myself. I never wear my seat belt. In fact, I couldn't tell you the last time I did wear one.
95% of the time, I am driving my car, and it is a law here too, we have these wicked signs alongside the highways: Click It Or Ticket. (haha)
I think the fine is only about $20 here if you are caught without your seat belt on, I have heard of other states having higher fines. Don't quote me on that $20 tho, it could be about $50 now, hell...like I said, I don't wear one, and I've never gotten caught.
They constrict me....I feel tied in, like I can barely move around, I hate them.
And also, where I live, there is water everywhere...ponds, lakes, canals, the Tennessee River...I have heard of a car plunging into the waters, and the seat belt jamming, and the person died from drowning.
I'd rather take my chances flying thru the windshield than I would dying in a huge body of water, slowly drowning.
No, I don't plan on ever starting to wear one either. If I were to start getting caught not wearing one, I would have to get used to paying the fine, because even if I was to be ticketed, I wouldn't wear one.

Here's your answer to the water issue....

I carry one of these on my keychain. It has both a seatbelt cutter and a window punch built into it.

lh03b.jpg

Most of the time seat belts will save your life...but there are times that they won't. About a year before i met my husband he was in a very serious crash...him and a friend were in a little MG and they hit a truck the size of an F150. The MG split in two and they were both thrown out (the friend lost a leg and still isnt right). But if they'd had seat belts on they would both be dead. But he always wears them now. Most accidents people will have though will not be a major collision, and seat belts will keep you from dying or getting hurt very bad.

Most of the time seat belts will save your life...but there are times that they won't. About a year before i met my husband he was in a very serious crash...him and a friend were in a little MG and they hit a truck the size of an F150. The MG split in two and they were both thrown out (the friend lost a leg and still isnt right). But if they'd had seat belts on they would both be dead. But he always wears them now. Most accidents people will have though will not be a major collision, and seat belts will keep you from dying or getting hurt very bad.

I've got an old MG that didn't even have lap belts. It was easier to install 5-point belts than 3-point, so that's what I put in. I've never checked it out but I've been told a couple of times they're not legal for street cars, but I'll gladly pay a fine if it ever comes to that. And continue to use them because in that tiny little car I think my chances are better with them if anything ever happens.

obviously yall dont live in nc....they will fine ya...125 bucks a ticket for not having your seat belt on....i am in the habit of wearing them

obviously yall dont live in nc....they will fine ya...125 bucks a ticket for not having your seat belt on....i am in the habit of wearing them

We have fines here too, in Tennessee. My son was cited once, and I believe the cost was $20. Not as high as some other states I have heard about.
But most people aren't pulled over just for not wearing their seat belts, they are most likely being pulled over for something else and the copper noticed (I'm assuming).
I have tinted windows, so nobody can even glance my way and see if I am wearing mine or not.

Forum List

Back