Seahawks Football

BluePhantom

Educator (of liberals)
Nov 11, 2011
Portland, OR / Salem, OR
I am starting this thread to discuss Seattle Seahawks football. Call it the official USMB Seahawks 2015 thread I guess. Here we will share article links, discuss what is happening with our team, make predictions, and generally cheer for the Hawks.

Enemies are welcome of course. We always love entertainment.

Caveat: Seahawks fans may refer to their team as "we". Other fans may not (except arguably Kansas City fans). This is because most fans to to a game to watch and see what happens. Seahawk fans go to influence the game. As fans, we have a job to do to contribute to a Seahawks victory. We take it seriously. We practice in pre-season just like the players do. We influence the game. We are part of the team. 12s can refer to their team as "we".

Caveat #2: This is football only. Any other topics...don't let them come here. Huggy and I will never agree on anything but Seahawks football. Let us be the example. On this thread, all that shit is put aside. here we talk football and nothing else.

ROLL CALL

BluePhantom: HERE!

TrinityPower

HUGGY

Topics for Discussion

1) Kam Chancellor's Holdout

2) Offensive Line

3) Is Ahtyba Rubin the answer for Tony McDaniel?

4) How will the loss of Jeremy Lane affect the season?

5) Can we beat Green Bay in week two if Earl Thomas is not back? If not, what are the implications?

6) The wide receivers and tight ends....is this the best set in the last three years?

7) Can the Maxwell / Lane void be filled?

Let's talk some Seahawk football!!!

I am going to start by discussing point 4....Jeremy Lane. This is a HUGE loss. Most NFL fans will not understand how massive this is because they don't understand the difference between an outside corner and a nickle corner. They are two totally different skill types. An outside corner like Sherman or Maxwell or Browner pushes his man toward the sideline and uses the sideline as an extra defender. A nickle corner doesn't have the sideline to work with. He has to take them all on his own and because he doesn't know where the receiver is going it demands a totally different skill set. He has to read and react much quicker. He has to have far better change of direction speed but he also has to be able to shed the receiver and stick the run which will be coming from the inside.

This was Jeremy Lane's forte. He is at least top three....very arguably the best at performing that role...at least top three though. He is out and he will be out for a long time. I see this as our biggest weakness entering the 2015 season. We saw it in the Super Bowl. When Lane was in, Brady could do very little, but when he was knocked out...wow we had problems.

What is the answer?

I am going to start by discussing point 4....Jeremy Lane. This is a HUGE loss. Most NFL fans will not understand how massive this is because they don't understand the difference between an outside corner and a nickle corner. They are two totally different skill types. An outside corner like Sherman or Maxwell or Browner pushes his man toward the sideline and uses the sideline as an extra defender. A nickle corner doesn't have the sideline to work with. He has to take them all on his own and because he doesn't know where the receiver is going it demands a totally different skill set. He has to read and react much quicker. He has to have far better change of direction speed but he also has to be able to shed the receiver and stick the run which will be coming from the inside.

This was Jeremy Lane's forte. He is at least top three....very arguably the best at performing that role...at least top three though. He is out and he will be out for a long time. I see this as our biggest weakness entering the 2015 season. We saw it in the Super Bowl. When Lane was in, Brady could do very little, but when he was knocked out...wow we had problems.

What is the answer?

It certainly isn't Therod Simon. That asshat made Brady look like he was tearing up the world in the SB. The Hawks have a whole big ass bunch of candidates to fill in the holes in the D Secondary. Blackmon, Shead, Smith and Williams are the best of around 8 players attempting to make the team in the Secondary. They say Simon was also injured as he attempted to replace Lane in the SB but he had no business being in the game. Just like Ricardo Lockette I have no use for Therod. He was so awful against the Patriots it looked like he had bet his kids college fund on Tom Brady and the Pats.

I don't see the big deal about Lane. It's over a couple of months before the games count. That's a long time to evaluate the roster.

What is the answer?

It certainly isn't Therod Simon. That asshat made Brady look like he was tearing up the world in the SB. The Hawks have a whole big ass bunch of candidates to fill in the holes in the D Secondary. Blackmon, Shead, Smith and Williams are the best of around 8 players attempting to make the team in the Secondary. They say Simon was also injured as he attempted to replace Lane in the SB but he had no business being in the game. Just like Ricardo Lockette I have no use for Therod. He was so awful against the Patriots it looked like he had bet his kids college fund on Tom Brady and the Pats.

I don't see the big deal about Lane. It's over a couple of months before the games count. That's a long time to evaluate the roster.

In my opinion the nickel corner is becoming more and more important in the NFL and especially for Seattle because historically it's been the only place you could attack us. I agree about Simon. I don't see him as the answer. It's possible he could develop into a solid outside corner, but it's the change of direction and anticipation...the acceleration to the ball off the cut that is the skill set required for a nickel corner. That's not Simon's game, but it was Lane to a T. It's a rare skill set to find. Obviously we will trust Pete to make the call (like we have any other option) but it's an issue that has me concerned. More concerned than replacing Maxwell

We always love entertainment.

Here is something that is entertainment involving the Seahawks. this will be the last year that they will in reality have NINE home games on their schedule this year as does three other teams in the NFC west always does.lol.

anytime visiting teams that go to this city and play, in reality its always a HOME game for them there.:lmao: this is why below.

Like just about any NFL coach would say at this time of year, Fisher’s concern is on the opener Sept. 13 against Seattle. Initial indications are that ticket sales are lagging, more so because of the potential move than the fact that the Rams haven’t had a winning record since 2003.:biggrin:

"But while Fisher has done his best to maintain plausible deniability, the Los Angeles drumbeat only figures to get louder as the preseason and training camp roll on."
:lmao::rofl::lmao::lmao::rofl:

miklasz: "if Rams owner Stan Kroenke gets his way, this will be the team’s final training camp in St. Louis.:biggrin: And for many fans, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to embrace the team they love. When you aren’t sure if the team will run away from you, the natural reaction is to hold back, stay at a safe distance and try to minimize the pain inside."

Bernie Potential move is buzzkill at Rams camp Sports
Looks like Bernie has FINALLY stopped drinking the koolaide down there in dogpatch USA.lol

ShaneGmoSTLRams: "Will the Year Of The Ram go down in history as being the year when the nation's top sports league left St. Louis - never to take up residence here again?":biggrin:

Rams Training Camp Overview What Will the Year of the Ram Bring St. Louis insideSTL.com - St. Louis Sports Music Entertainment and Nightlife STL Rams

Man I wish the Rams were playing in LA this season. They look to have an exciting team. But I just can't root for them until the front of the jersey says Los Angeles.#LARams2016

good man.I tip my cap off to this TRUE loyal LA fan.I have been just like him the last 20 years.:thup::beer:

I 9/11, plan on going down there for that game the Seahawks play with my welcome back to LA sign.lol

Last edited:
Okung being healthy and consistent is a big key to the O-Line holding. Lane's absence will be felt greatly in the special teams game. The TE will be a huge advantage and go to in the 3rd and short and screen play options. The receivers supplement that and make the receiving core solid. If the O Line can gel as a unit the offense should be incredibly difficult to defend. Not sure what to say about Kam totally. If he agreed to a contract he should honor that and quit being a baby about it.

Side Note: The previous post had nothing to do with the discussion topics. This is a Seahawks thread, if you want to talk Rams go back to the thread you started about them moving to LA

Like just about any NFL coach would say at this time of year, Fisher’s concern is on the opener Sept. 13 against Seattle.

well one of the articles did mention a little about seattle there.heh heh.

now back to seattle.lol.good points on the first paragraph there.

Okung being healthy and consistent is a big key to the O-Line holding. Lane's absence will be felt greatly in the special teams game. The TE will be a huge advantage and go to in the 3rd and short and screen play options. The receivers supplement that and make the receiving core solid. If the O Line can gel as a unit the offense should be incredibly difficult to defend. Not sure what to say about Kam totally. If he agreed to a contract he should honor that and quit being a baby about it.

Side Note: The previous post had nothing to do with the discussion topics. This is a Seahawks thread, if you want to talk Rams go back to the thread you started about them moving to LA

The word out of camp is that the receivers are much improved. Of course there is always the pre-season hype but I am hearing pretty impressive stuff about Tyler Lockett and Chris Matthews. Of course Jimmy Graham goes without saying

The word out of camp is that the receivers are much improved. Of course there is always the pre-season hype but I am hearing pretty impressive stuff about Tyler Lockett and Chris Matthews. Of course Jimmy Graham goes without saying
I am sure good ole Angry Doug has some words from camp, I just have not seen them yet ha ha

I read some of the article about Pete Carroll in Sports Illustrated today waiting for an appointment. Most of it was about getting over "the call" and moving on from it and not letting one single event ruin or make who you are. He has speakers and influential people who have testimonies come frequently to share with his team and staff. I thought that was interesting. Sounds like they have an in-service or continuing education tool for building up the spirit and morale which he feels is just as important as the physical talent and skill set.

Just read Earl Thomas has been taken off the PUP list. My only concern is that he is being honest about his health. The guy is such a competitor I can see him rushing himself. Take it easy...work in slow...get some playing time in week three or week four of pre-season and be ready for the regular season.

If he is 100% (and assuming Kam returns which I am sure he will) going into the Green Bay game our chances of winning that game just got significantly better.

I am starting this thread to discuss Seattle Seahawks football. Call it the official USMB Seahawks 2015 thread I guess. Here we will share article links, discuss what is happening with our team, make predictions, and generally cheer for the Hawks.

Caveat: Seahawks fans may refer to their team as "we". Other fans may not (except arguably Kansas City fans). This is because most fans to to a game to watch and see what happens. Seahawk fans go to influence the game. As fans, we have a job to do to contribute to a Seahawks victory. We take it seriously. We practice in pre-season just like the players do. We influence the game. We are part of the team. 12s can refer to their team as "we".

Caveat #2: This is football only. Any other topics...don't let them come here. Huggy and I will never agree on anything but Seahawks football. Let us be the example. On this thread, all that shit is put aside. here we talk football and nothing else.

ROLL CALL

TrinityPower

HUGGY

Topics for Discussion

2) Offensive Line

5) Can we beat Green Bay in week two if Earl Thomas is not back? If not, what are the implications?

6) The wide receivers and tight ends....is this the best set in the last three years?

I've given it some thought and have to state my piece on if this thread is the official Seahawk thread for 2015.

It is not.

I've contributed probably more than a hundred threads on Seahawk news over the years and others have also started threads with something Seahawk being brought to this board's attention.

The TRUTH is that the Hawks have evolved to more than just any old team in the NFL which delivers the most watched sporting event every year, the Super Bowl. Seattle has been in the last two and won their first "W" with a blowout against the offensive record breaking Broncos.

This is a fine thread and I will contribute Seahawk news and opinion on it. I will also start threads from time to time I that believe deserve special interest. I will be bringing up old Seahawk threads which may become relevant again IMHO.

IMHO we don't need fewer Hawk threads. We need MORE threads brought to USMB on other teams by their fans. If some fan of another team has a problem with all the Hawk threads then the cure is obvious. Get off your lazy butts and fire up a topic that involves another team. It's just as simple as that. Stop your whining about all the Hawk threads or better yet just ignore them.

I would love to see a thread about EVERY other NFL team represented here on the Sports forum. I do start a thread about every team the Hawks play during the season. That's as far as I will go with a few exceptions. I have started threads on Indy and Lucky Luck and a few others which the Hawks don't play.

The fact is that as much as Popagoogoo complains about Seahawk fans as being the worst the truth is that we bring it and the other teams fans don't.

If you are one tenth of the fans you claim you are then for fuck's sakes bring it!

Nobody is going to come on to USMB and make some stupid claim that they have cornered the market on my team. Don't be ridiculous. Say your piece Sparky and move on. Don't even THINK you can corral HUGGY and put me in your little box. NOT gonna happen.

:lol:

ROLL CALL

TrinityPower

HUGGY

Topics for Discussion

2) Offensive Line

I've given it some thought and have to state my piece on if this thread is the official Seahawk thread for 2015.

It is not.

I've contributed probably more than a hundred threads on Seahawk news over the years and others have also started threads with something Seahawk being brought to this board's attention.

The TRUTH is that the Hawks have evolved to more than just any old team in the NFL which delivers the most watched sporting event every year, the Super Bowl. Seattle has been in the last two and won their first "W" with a blowout against the offensive record breaking Broncos.

This is a fine thread and I will contribute Seahawk news and opinion on it. I will also start threads from time to time I that believe deserve special interest. I will be bringing up old Seahawk threads which may become relevant again IMHO.

IMHO we don't need fewer Hawk threads. We need MORE threads brought to USMB on other teams by their fans. If some fan of another team has a problem with all the Hawk threads then the cure is obvious. Get off your lazy butts and fire up a topic that involves another team. It's just as simple as that. Stop your whining about all the Hawk threads or better yet just ignore them.

I would love to see a thread about EVERY other NFL team represented here on the Sports forum. I do start a thread about every team the Hawks play during the season. That's as far as I will go with a few exceptions. I have started threads on Indy and Lucky Luck and a few others which the Hawks don't play.

The fact is that as much as Popagoogoo complains about Seahawk fans as being the worst the truth is that we bring it and the other teams fans don't.

If you are one tenth of the fans you claim you are then for fuck's sakes bring it!

Nobody is going to come on to USMB and make some stupid claim that they have cornered the market on my team. Don't be ridiculous. Say your piece Sparky and move on. Don't even THINK you can corral HUGGY and put me in your little box. NOT gonna happen.

:lol:

Well...........ok then. :lol:

Carroll and Schneider are not going to play pinch and tickle with sKam Chancellor.

They are scouring the available talent in the NFL to load up on DBs in this training camp. Many of Seattle's stars of the secondary, the best in the league, came from hard work in the finding first.

Kam is getting very bad advice. He will be replaced and the Seahawks won't look back.

New Seahawks Cornerback Mohammed Seisay Says Trade Puts Him in a Perfect Situation Seattle Seahawks

The newest trade was for Mohammed Seisay. He is one of those nobodies with just the right raw ingredients to be transformed by Hawk coaches into another Kam Chancellor.

Carroll and Schneider are not going to play pinch and tickle with sKam Chancellor.

They are scouring the available talent in the NFL to load up on DBs in this training camp. Many of Seattle's stars of the secondary, the best in the league, came from hard work in the finding first.

Kam is getting very bad advice. He will be replaced and the Seahawks won't look back.

New Seahawks Cornerback Mohammed Seisay Says Trade Puts Him in a Perfect Situation Seattle Seahawks

The newest trade was for Mohammed Seisay. He is one of those nobodies with just the right raw ingredients to be transformed by Hawk coaches into another Kam Chancellor.

I agree. Kam will be back and if there is any restructure it will be symbolic. The Seahawks hold all the cards in this one and Kam is just losing money. When the price tag gets big enough he will return

I agree. Kam will be back and if there is any restructure it will be symbolic. The Seahawks hold all the cards in this one and Kam is just losing money. When the price tag gets big enough he will return

If Chancellor was truly behind the mean pay grade for top tier safeties in the NFL I would be the first to back his play. But he is not. This is purely a grab on his part that cannot become the norm on this or any sensible NFL team. This play is disrespect in the face of the fairest front office in football. If I were Carroll or Schneider I would not forgive the 30 grand a day penalty. The players need to respect the job the front office does to assemble the best roster in football. Chancellor already got top tier money before he even had proven his worth. I as a fan am greatly disappointed in Kam's ignorance in this current demand. As much as I have respected his play over the last couple of years he has been paid handsomely for this effort. Enough is enough. I say NEXT MAN UP! Goodbye Kam and good riddance. You greedy ignorant fuck.

If Chancellor was truly behind the mean pay grade for top tier safeties in the NFL I would be the first to back his play. But he is not. This is purely a grab on his part that cannot become the norm on this or any sensible NFL team. This play is disrespect in the face of the fairest front office in football. If I were Carroll or Schneider I would not forgive the 30 grand a day penalty. The players need to respect the job the front office does to assemble the best roster in football. Chancellor already got top tier money before he even had proven his worth. I as a fan am greatly disappointed in Kam's ignorance in this current demand. As much as I have respected his play over the last couple of years he has been paid handsomely for this effort. Enough is enough. I say NEXT MAN UP! Goodbye Kam and good riddance. You greedy ignorant fuck.

Well I wont go so far as to say good riddance. We need him back and he will be back. This may last a bit but it won't go far into pre-season

Well I wont go so far as to say good riddance. We need him back and he will be back. This may last a bit but it won't go far into pre-season

I can't understand why Sherman is going all public being Kam's mouthpiece and everything. He is smart or so one would guess being a Stanford grad. He knows damned well Chancellor isn't being underpaid. This is just a totally unnecessary distraction that is casting it's sole shadow on what would otherwise be a perfect spring training.

One nuther thing is that Chancellor doesn't possess some fantastic special technique. What he does/did do is hit hard and any of the newbies that want to make a statement and assure themselves a place on the 53 man roster is start blasting opposing receivers in the pre season.

Maybe Kam is just getting tired of giving up his body for the cause. I can respect that. Someone with his previous efforts can only commit his body like that so many times before his frame has just had enough.

What I take away from this holdout is that Chancellor just doesn't feel it's worth it anymore. He should just admit THAT and move on.

In a change of subject I am reading a lot of very good things about Tyler Lockett and Frank Clark. It could be that Clark's performance in workouts was the reason why they felt safe letting McDaniel go. That and the emergence of Hill last year. Clark is a fast guy and they are playing him at 3-tech. Apparently, Carroll wants speed up the middle

In a change of subject I am reading a lot of very good things about Tyler Lockett and Frank Clark. It could be that Clark's performance in workouts was the reason why they felt safe letting McDaniel go. That and the emergence of Hill last year. Clark is a fast guy and they are playing him at 3-tech. Apparently, Carroll wants speed up the middle

Tyler Lockett could be a game changer just by placing the ball 20-30 yards or more closer to the goal line on punt returns. That is if he gets blocking. Special teams was a glaring hole in last season's starting position after the defense stopped opposing teams. It even led to turn overs as Baldwin gave up the ball at very inopportune times as he made bad decisions attempting to be the return man. Lockett proved at Kansas St that he has a natural talent for taking the ball on punts and kick offs and advancing the ball a long way up the field.

Forum List

Back