'scraping by' on $400,000 a year

To be precise, the figure of $400,000 was for a two income family so in order for you to get to $400,000, you would have to get married.

How expensive is it in NYC that $400,000 barely gets you by? thats just crazy.

NYC is more expensive than LA, and in LA my friends pay $11,000 a month for a modest two bedroom apartment. That's $132,000 a year. Rents in New York are higher than here. Because this is California, parking is included. In New York the buildings don't provide off street parking. A parking space in an open lot can be as much as $500.00 a month on top of rent. Insurance for a car parked in NYC in an open lot is enormous. People take public transportation (highly dangerous) cabs, or now as understand it, zip cars. Cars for rent for very short periods of time. New York is incredibly expensive. Not only is New York expensive but it has back breaking taxes.

Well, they have a full time nanny, who manages to live in NY on $50,000 a year. Perhaps they should move to a cheaper place, or maybe send their kids to public school. It's called living within your means. I don't buy that you can't live within a $400,000 budget, even in NY.

If you get a pay check you have money to budget.

Semantics.

It is not semantics, it is fact.

Obviously. However the point which you chose to ignore, was that someone whose making $400,000 a year, has the ability to budget their money accordingly. Perhaps she should fire the nanny. Perhaps they should sell a car and get a cheaper one, they could move to a cheaper house. When you're raising a family on $10,000, there's a lot less fat to cut from your life in order to survive.

According the info regarding incomes in NYC that I posted, this scraping by on $400,000 is pure bullshit. I suggest that they are spending more than they need to by quite a large margin and deserve not one person's sympathy.
Now we are supposed to feel sorry for folks living way beyond their means because they are in the upper tier income bracket? Man, this worshiping the wealthy has gone too far.

$400,000 would give you a very nice living where I stay at.

To be precise, the figure of $400,000 was for a two income family so in order for you to get to $400,000, you would have to get married.

$200,000 a year would be a great income for us. Heck $100,000 a year would be a great income for us....They are living on more than we have invested in our retirement and we've been saving for more than 30 years. I don't feel sorry for her at all.

And if she hates the public schools so much, why doesn't she get involved and change them? In New York they have Charter schools and some of them are very good.

in this...i have nothing to say about the whining
i have nothing to say about responsible the parenting

i am saying..... 400k...can be just scraping by paycheck to paycheck in NYC.

Living pay check to pay check is true of the poor, but it's not the only litmus test.

why not?

pay check to pay check.... is the same no matter how much the check is.

Because there is a difference between someone who's simply bad at budgeting their money, and someone who has no money to budget.

its their money to spend.....

if they spend it all every month...then they are just scraping by.

why not?

pay check to pay check.... is the same no matter how much the check is.

Because there is a difference between someone who's simply bad at budgeting their money, and someone who has no money to budget.

to bad Fannie Freddie and the rest of the morons involved with pursuing 'home ownership' didn't see that point, to them its all one and the same....and everyone was good enough at it to deserve a house...:lol:

:thup:

$400,000 would give you a very nice living where I stay at.

$200,000 a year would be a great income for us. Heck $100,000 a year would be a great income for us....They are living on more than we have invested in our retirement and we've been saving for more than 30 years. I don't feel sorry for her at all.

And if she hates the public schools so much, why doesn't she get involved and change them? In New York they have Charter schools and some of them are very good.

and where do you live??

Only if you're living well beyond your means.

How expensive is it in NYC that $400,000 barely gets you by? thats just crazy.

NYC is more expensive than LA, and in LA my friends pay $11,000 a month for a modest two bedroom apartment. That's $132,000 a year. Rents in New York are higher than here. Because this is California, parking is included. In New York the buildings don't provide off street parking. A parking space in an open lot can be as much as $500.00 a month on top of rent. Insurance for a car parked in NYC in an open lot is enormous. People take public transportation (highly dangerous) cabs, or now as understand it, zip cars. Cars for rent for very short periods of time. New York is incredibly expensive. Not only is New York expensive but it has back breaking taxes.

Well, they have a full time nanny, who manages to live in NY on $50,000 a year. Perhaps they should move to a cheaper place, or maybe send their kids to public school. It's called living within your means. I don't buy that you can't live within a $400,000 budget, even in NY.

The nannies generally do not live in NYC.... they come in by train from NJ. And a 50k nanny is a cheap nanny in NYC.

400k...IS living withing their means....if that is what they are bringing home. It can also be just scraping by to live within said means.

Semantics.

Obviously. However the point which you chose to ignore, was that someone whose making $400,000 a year, has the ability to budget their money accordingly. Perhaps she should fire the nanny. Perhaps they should sell a car and get a cheaper one, they could move to a cheaper house. When you're raising a family on $10,000, there's a lot less fat to cut from your life in order to survive.

perhaps the "poor" should also budget what they are getting too.....and stop whining for more.

See how that works?

who said anything about her living beyond her means.... she is saying she is just scraping by.

again....if you make 400k and spend 400k.... isnt that just scraping by?

perhaps the "poor" should also budget what they are getting too.....and stop whining for more.

See how that works?

You can't always whine that the poor get this so why can't the rich.

If I make $30,000 a year, and spend $20,000 on a trip to Paris, that's not me "just scraping by" that's me living beyond my means and then pouting that I have no money left.

See how that works?

You can't always whine that the poor get this so why can't the rich.

If I make $30,000 a year, and spend $20,000 on a trip to Paris, that's not me "just scraping by" that's me living beyond my means and then pouting that I have no money left.

you mean like me seeing the poor with loaded smart phones, hot cars, designer clothes..... smoking, drinking and buying carts full of convenience foods and junk?

but in your example...at least you worked for the money..and did not put your had out for entitlements to pay for your trip.

Last edited:
Wow, the bitterness is pouring off you in waves.

Poor envy. It's the new thing this political season.

1st, I never suggested all poor are good at budgeting their money. I'd guess half of them are awful at it, and it's a reason they can't ever seem to save money.

and 2nd, whose to say those people didn't buy those items before they fell on hard times? Or that those items weren't gifts from someone else, or any number of other reasons.

Wow, the bitterness is pouring off you in waves.

Poor envy. It's the new thing this political season.

1st, I never suggested all poor are good at budgeting their money. I'd guess half of them are awful at it, and it's a reason they can't ever seem to save money.

and 2nd, whose to say those people didn't buy those items before they fell on hard times? Or that those items weren't gifts from someone else, or any number of other reasons.

its not poor envy..... its applying the same arguments in equal portions to everyone....

and where do you live??

Not in New York, but Seattle is one of the highest priced living areas in the nation and we live on a lot less than $400,000 a year.

who said anything about her living beyond her means.... she is saying she is just scraping by.

again....if you make 400k and spend 400k.... isnt that just scraping by?

Nobody is just scraping by on $400,000 a year unless they are irresponsible with their spending.

The nannies generally do not live in NYC.... they come in by train from NJ. And a 50k nanny is a cheap nanny in NYC.

400k...IS living withing their means....if that is what they are bringing home. It can also be just scraping by to live within said means.

Manhattan has the highest average income in the US and it's less than $200,000 per year. If someone can't live on $400,000 in NYC, they need a budget and an accountant that can teach them about what budgets actually do.

and where do you live??

Not in New York, but Seattle is one of the highest priced living areas in the nation and we live on a lot less than $400,000 a year.

seattle proper or one of the burbs?

Forum List

Back