'scraping by' on $400,000 a year

Likely with such a low income of $400,000 a year for two people working, they can't afford a car. A car isn't a necessity in NYC. Renting a parking space can be as much as $500.00 a month for open parking. Then there is insurance which for open parking in NYC can be a ball breaker.

I don't see a $400.00 annual income for a two income family as being all that much.

Are you on crack?

Living pay check to pay check is true of the poor, but it's not the only litmus test.

why not?

pay check to pay check.... is the same no matter how much the check is.

Because there is a difference between someone who's simply bad at budgeting their money, and someone who has no money to budget.

to bad Fannie Freddie and the rest of the morons involved with pursuing 'home ownership' didn't see that point, to them its all one and the same....and everyone was good enough at it to deserve a house...:lol:

why not?

Because there is a difference between someone who's simply bad at budgeting their money, and someone who has no money to budget.

to bad Fannie Freddie and the rest of the morons involved with pursuing 'home ownership' didn't see that point, to them its all one and the same....and everyone was good enough at it to deserve a house...:lol:

Yes, that's one of those really nobel ideas that simply falls apart in practice.

Living pay check to pay check is true of the poor, but it's not the only litmus test.

why not?

How do you figure? Paycheck to paycheck on $10,000 is scraping by, if that. Paycheck to paycheck on $400,000 is nannies and private schools, etc, hardly "scraping by".

BTW, My sister and brother in law worked 2 different shifts so they didn't have to pay for daycare but mostly so that one of them would be there for the kids at all times. Their kids went to public schools but one of the best public schools I've ever seen. My nephew graduated valedictorian with a scholarship to MIT. Even with his scholarship they were paying $40,000 a year for his education. They managed, they weren't rich, but they managed and they did it on less than half of what our $400,000 year *itch is making. And strangely enough, they didn't go to the new-stations and complain about how difficult it was on their salaries.....Are you guys sure this $400,000 a year whiner isn't Paris Hilton?

why not?

How do you figure? Paycheck to paycheck on $10,000 is scraping by, if that. Paycheck to paycheck on $400,000 is nannies and private schools, etc, hardly "scraping by".

BTW, My sister and brother in law worked 2 different shifts so they didn't have to pay for daycare but mostly so that one of them would be there for the kids at all times. Their kids went to public schools but one of the best public schools I've ever seen. My nephew graduated valedictorian with a scholarship to MIT. Even with his scholarship they were paying $40,000 a year for his education. They managed, they weren't rich, but they managed and they did it on less than half of what our $400,000 year *itch is making. And strangely enough, they didn't go to the new-stations and complain about how difficult it was on their salaries.....Are you guys sure this $400,000 a year whiner isn't Paris Hilton?

This is NYC public schools, hardly the best. They are decrepit gang centers. No caring parent would send their kid to a NYC public school. Because the family needs two incomes, they are responsible in not having a latch key kid in a place like NYC, but have to have an adult caretaker for them. They have a nanny.

How much rent does this family pay? I have friends that live in a small two bedroom apartment in the Wishire Corridor. They pay $11,000 a month for that apartment. Do you MAKE $11,000 a month? I live in a relatively low rent place, a small one bedroom in a building that's 60 years old. My rent is $4,000 a month. Compared to New York, Los Angeles has a cost of living they would kill for.

How about just going out for a burger. How much does a hamburger cost in NYC?

Minetta Tavern: At $26, stopping here for a chopped steak burger is a mission. 113 MacDougal Street, between Bleecker and W. 3rd Streets.

PJ Clarks: This original, 1800s restaurant is always known for good food, especially their $9 burger. 915 3rd Avenue at 55th Street.

Primehouse: One of BR Guest's classy restaurants, consider making reservations before arriving to dine on its reasonably-priced, $15 burger. 381 Park Avenue, South, at 27th Street. (212) 824-2600.

$400,000 a year for a two income family in New York is barely scraping by. They have to have two incomes, they are responsible parents by not allowing their kids to go to public school, and they don't let the kids run around on their own.

why not?

This is NYC public schools, hardly the best. They are decrepit gang centers. No caring parent would send their kid to a NYC public school. Because the family needs two incomes, they are responsible in not having a latch key kid in a place like NYC, but have to have an adult caretaker for them. They have a nanny.

How much rent does this family pay? I have friends that live in a small two bedroom apartment in the Wishire Corridor. They pay $11,000 a month for that apartment. Do you MAKE $11,000 a month? I live in a relatively low rent place, a small one bedroom in a building that's 60 years old. My rent is $4,000 a month. Compared to New York, Los Angeles has a cost of living they would kill for.

Minetta Tavern: At $26, stopping here for a chopped steak burger is a mission. 113 MacDougal Street, between Bleecker and W. 3rd Streets.

PJ Clarks: This original, 1800s restaurant is always known for good food, especially their $9 burger. 915 3rd Avenue at 55th Street.

Primehouse: One of BR Guest's classy restaurants, consider making reservations before arriving to dine on its reasonably-priced, $15 burger. 381 Park Avenue, South, at 27th Street. (212) 824-2600.

$400,000 a year for a two income family in New York is barely scraping by. They have to have two incomes, they are responsible parents by not allowing their kids to go to public school, and they don't let the kids run around on their own.

If they were responsible parents, they would work different shifts so they didn't have to hire a nanny and they could take care of their own kids. They could also home school if they hate the public schools so much and can't afford public school. If the rent is so hard on them, they can get roommates, what is it you tell everyone on minimum wage when they can't pay their rent? Work more hours, don't have kids? Get a better job? Get roommates? Yet you defend this $400,000 a year whiner? If she couldn't afford kids, she shouldn't have had them.

Responsible parents making $400,000 a year don't whine to the rest of us making less than a fourth of that about how hard they have it.

$400,000 would give you a very nice living where I stay at.

To be precise, the figure of $400,000 was for a two income family so in order for you to get to $400,000, you would have to get married.

$200,000 a year would be a great income for us. Heck $100,000 a year would be a great income for us....They are living on more than we have invested in our retirement and we've been saving for more than 30 years. I don't feel sorry for her at all.

And if she hates the public schools so much, why doesn't she get involved and change them? In New York they have Charter schools and some of them are very good.

New York City is an expensive place to live. But I think some people are really stretching things about how much is needed to live in New York City.
======================================

Overall, nominal household income in New York City is characterized by large variations. This phenomenon is especially true of Manhattan, which in 2005 was home to the highest incomes U.S. census tract, with a household income of $188,697, as well as the lowest, where household income was $9,320.[55] The disparity is driven in part by wage growth in high income brackets. In 2006 the average weekly wage in Manhattan was $1,453, the highest among the largest counties in the United States.[25] Wages in Manhattan were the fastest growing among the nation's 10 largest counties.[25]
Among young adults in New York who work full-time, women now earn more money than men — approximately $5,000 more in 2005.[56] Nationally, women's wages still lag behind men.
New York City's borough of Manhattan is the highest nominal income county in the United States. In particular, ZIP code 10021 on Manhattan's Upper East Side, with more than 100,000 inhabitants and a per capita income of over $90,000, has one of the largest concentrations of income in the United States. The other boroughs, especially Queens and Staten Island, have large middle-class populations'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_York_City
=============================================

Now the income levels estimates were from 2005, I doubt that incomes in Manhattan have doubled in the last 7 years.
Defending this poor woman who is scraping by at $400,000 is a joke.

If they were responsible parents, they would work different shifts so they didn't have to hire a nanny and they could take care of their own kids. They could also home school if they hate the public schools so much and can't afford public school. If the rent is so hard on them, they can get roommates, what is it you tell everyone on minimum wage when they can't pay their rent? Work more hours, don't have kids? Get a better job? Get roommates? Yet you defend this $400,000 a year whiner? If she couldn't afford kids, she shouldn't have had them.

Responsible parents making $400,000 a year don't whine to the rest of us making less than a fourth of that about how hard they have it.

Maybe they would work different shifts if they worked in a factory that had shift work.

This is the intellectual poverty that so many Americans suffer from. The best thing would be for whoever employs these people to close up shop and move out of the city taking their work force with them. Maybe they can move to China or India.

$400,000 would give you a very nice living where I stay at.

To be precise, the figure of $400,000 was for a two income family so in order for you to get to $400,000, you would have to get married.

How expensive is it in NYC that $400,000 barely gets you by? thats just crazy.

NYC is more expensive than LA, and in LA my friends pay $11,000 a month for a modest two bedroom apartment. That's $132,000 a year. Rents in New York are higher than here. Because this is California, parking is included. In New York the buildings don't provide off street parking. A parking space in an open lot can be as much as $500.00 a month on top of rent. Insurance for a car parked in NYC in an open lot is enormous. People take public transportation (highly dangerous) cabs, or now as understand it, zip cars. Cars for rent for very short periods of time. New York is incredibly expensive. Not only is New York expensive but it has back breaking taxes.

Forum List

Back