Schumers next target...Cruise Lines

Did you also oppose the same regulations on the airlines?

Of course they did.

They were the same sort of folks that opposed new regulations on the garment industry after the Great Triangle Shirtwaist Fire. They were the same sort of folks yelling "let him die" when Ron Paul was asked about a person refusing to buy health care insurance.

Grow up Sallow.

Where am I wrong?

How many lawsuits stemmed from Carnival Triumph?

Fact of the matter is, had you ever been on a cruise, you would know that certain things like mechanical failure are addressed when you purchase a ticket and you assume the risk.

True....but then when it happens it is UNFAIR....

The issue is this.....there are going to be some losers prior to the free market making the correction.....there are the courts to sort it out.

But regulations? They wind up costing the corporations money and they rightfully pass that on to the consumer....

So all in all....we all lose with regulations....all in an effort to ensure that we never have to worry about making a bad decision.

Me? I prefer making bad decisions and learning from them.

Heck...Bought a 52 inch Bravia. After 14 months it died. Sony said "tough luck" in their nice little way. The store I bought it from? Pretty much said "nothing we can do about it"

So me?

Never bought a Sony again and never bought from that store again.

No law suits. No whining. No regulation needs. I lost, I learned and I moved on.

If anyone would just read the contract that comes with the ticket you will see what they take liability for and what they don't. Then you choose whether to accept the risk or not.

When I bought the Bravia, It cvame with a 1 year manufacturer warantee and the store ofered me a an extension.

I passed on it.

My decision. My loss.

I opted to not buyy Sony anymore becuase 1 year foir it to die was poor craftsmanship in my eyes...and I stopped buying from the store becuase I did not feel they showed their appreciation of my patronage when they said there was nothing they can do.....for only one reason.....becuase they said to me "you should have bought the warantee extension".....I asked them what they can do....not what I should have done.

Of course they did.

They were the same sort of folks that opposed new regulations on the garment industry after the Great Triangle Shirtwaist Fire. They were the same sort of folks yelling "let him die" when Ron Paul was asked about a person refusing to buy health care insurance.

Grow up Sallow.

Where am I wrong?

I do not agree with regulations becuase of buyers remorse or people refusing to read before they sign.

I do agree with reguulations for goods and services such as food...and medical care...becuase an error in personal decsion making can be lethal.

Three words.

Read the contract.

Three more words.

Contract of adhesion

Try arguing that in court. You will lose.

Not in most states. if an unfair term is employed... then of course we shall shop for a forum that has a favorable law even if the contract says we have to use a certain state law because that in itself is an unfair term.

Rule of thumb:

A greedy lawyer will usually find a way.

Not that I have a dog in this fight as I would never go on a cruise ship. Would rathed die instantaneously in an airplane crash than nibbled on by sharks.

Just trying to add a bit of levity, carry on.

jarhead

That is not what I said...and sadly, you kow I didnt. You just couldnt debate the topic like an adult so you resorted to...well......the shit you posted.

You aren't possibly suggesting you are discussing the concept of free enterprise - as an adult are you?

Didn't think so...

:)

Three more words.

Contract of adhesion

Not in most states. if an unfair term is employed... then of course we shall shop for a forum that has a favorable law even if the contract says we have to use a certain state law because that in itself is an unfair term.

Rule of thumb:

Not that I have a dog in this fight as I would never go on a cruise ship. Would rathed die instantaneously in an airplane crash than nibbled on by sharks.

Logic dictates that if you had a valid argument, it would have been done. And done so often in fact that it would more than likely result in the cruise line going out of business.

If you can find a lawsuit against a cruise line that lost on the grounds of contract of adhesion. I may change my position.

jarhead

That is not what I said...and sadly, you kow I didnt. You just couldnt debate the topic like an adult so you resorted to...well......the shit you posted.

You aren't possibly suggesting you are discussing the concept of free enterprise - as an adult are you?

Didn't think so...

:)

Grow up and learn to realize that just becuase you dont agree with an idea, doesnt mean the idea is a bad one.

Until you do....your posts will come across as childsih as they do.

Rule of thumb:

Logic dictates that if you had a valid argument, it would have been done. And done so often in fact that it would more than likely result in the cruise line going out of business.

If you can find a lawsuit against a cruise line that lost on the grounds of contract of adhesion. I may change my position.

Cruise Ship LawsuitsCruise Ship Injury Class Action Lawsuit

:eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

Rule of thumb:

where does it say any of them lost on the grounds of contract of adhesion?

Heck...where does it show any of the reulting decisions?

Rule of thumb:

Try again.

they have a right to sue the business owner.

I know.....now you will go off on how it is a system that is rigged...blah blah blah...

You are a child,. I have no interest in debating with you anymore.

Wow they have the right to take a multi-million dollar company to court...Can they hire a lawyer too? Take off of work? Fight in court for months? Really? You promise?

That sounds swell...How could that burden anyone? You're right a court battle is the way to go forget prevention. Now I understand

First I said this....."now you will go off on how it is a system that is rigged...blah blah blah"

and then you said this......"Wow they have the right to take a multi-million dollar company to court...Can they hire a lawyer too?"

lol....why do you live here if you hate it so much?

Right, you said that and I said this and you dont have an answer so you accuse me of..

...hating cruises? Nope
...Hating bad customer service? Nope
...Hating water craft? Nope

Hating America? Oh Yes!!!

How else would you be able to wiggle away from a real discussion?

Wow they have the right to take a multi-million dollar company to court...Can they hire a lawyer too? Take off of work? Fight in court for months? Really? You promise?

That sounds swell...How could that burden anyone? You're right a court battle is the way to go forget prevention. Now I understand

First I said this....."now you will go off on how it is a system that is rigged...blah blah blah"

and then you said this......"Wow they have the right to take a multi-million dollar company to court...Can they hire a lawyer too?"

lol....why do you live here if you hate it so much?

Right, you said that and I said this and you dont have an answer so you accuse me of..

...hating cruises? Nope
...Hating bad customer service? Nope
...Hating water craft? Nope

Hating America? Oh Yes!!!

How else would you be able to wiggle away from a real discussion?

Sure....thats what happened.

Whatever....you are a child not worthy of my time anymore.

where does it say any of them lost on the grounds of contract of adhesion?

Heck...where does it show any of the reulting decisions?

Who cares the fact is those are lawsuits even class action lawsuits ... you think an attorney would take such a case if it was unlikely to be successful... here is a lawyer soliciting clients and talking about contracts of adhesion:

Litigation Of The Italian Cruise Ship Disaster | Sterns & Walker

OK, I see the bit of levity I tried to insert is actually being taken seriously. Sorry to intrude.

Since it keeps having to be the US Coast Guard that keeps bailing them out (in other words, the US taxpayer) we have an obligation to regulate cruise ships.

it is only the coast guard when it is in our territory.

Regulating them will not prevent catastrophic failures....

Americans may imagine that the US can regulate cruise ships but since obama really doesn't control the world, we can't.

Americans may imagine that the US can regulate cruise ships but since obama really doesn't control the world, we can't.

US can regulate commerce if they operate out of our ports

So perhaps they will decide to no longer service out of our ports.

And there you go....take away my right to enjoy a cruise if I so choose becuase Americans refuse to read their contracts.

US can regulate commerce if they operate out of our ports

So perhaps they will decide to no longer service out of our ports.

And there you go....take away my right to enjoy a cruise if I so choose becuase Americans refuse to read their contracts.

Cruise lines want to give up the bucks they can pull out. Otherwise they abide by our rules

Forum List

Back