Schumers next target...Cruise Lines

Cruise lines are commerce and they can be regulated if they use US ports

Passengers need certain rights to safety and reimbursement for damages resulting from negligence of the cruise line

there is a difference between safety regulations and buyers remorse regulations.

People know dam well that their trip may be interrupted by bad weather, system malfunctions, personal illness.....

It is all personal choice.

This is about also about safety.

"Passengers on cruise ships be allowed to leave after a certain time if the impairment to the ship can’t be repaired in a reasonable amount of time.

Passengers should have access to well-trained medical personnel during an emergency and that there be an adequate number of medical personnel aboard to deal with the emergency.

Passengers should have a crew well-trained to handle a number of emergencies, including evacuations from the cruise ship.

Every cruise ship should have a backup generator in case of a power failure."

Senator wants ?Cruise Ship Bill of Rights? | News To Me with George Mathis

Passengers can not leave a cruise ship if there is no way to leave. When they can, such as when docked in St Maarten last week, they are allowed to leave.

Passengers DO have access to well trained medical personnel on a cruise ship

Passengers do have a well trained crew.

Every cruise ship does have a back up generator.

What Schumer wants is already offered. He knows that.

He is in his typical campaign mode. People, such as you, see him as "wanting to help the people"...when, in fact, he is insisting on what is already offered.

He just wants his name on a bill.

FYI....the free market?

Such is the reason all he "wants" is already offered.

I think you need to do some googling. There have been several reports that show that many of these cruise liners are not meeting many of those standards. That their medical staff don't have the proper working equipment or training, their crews aren't well trained to evacuate the ship if needed. Lots of things.

The last cruise they gave was cut short by several days, skipped two destinations had ppl stranded for 3 days and what did Carnival do to fix it. Gave them a $100 bill and a handshake.

You dont think anything is wrong with that? How would you fix it?

Fix it?

It is not anyone place to fix it.

If, in fact, someone does not like the way they treated their passengers, then that person should not use their service.

Sure that would be fine if you didnt pay up front. What you're saying is like paying for a meal in advanced. Get served a shitty meal. Then tell the customer to walk it off.

So do you then believe that if you are served a shitty meal BEFORE paying for it, you should be allowed to get it for free?

In time, they will either learn to do the right thing or go out of business.

And what about the ppl shafted out if their money? Big deal? Get over it? What?

Shafted out of their money? Yeah. They goit screwed. It happens to all of us at times. When we buy something, we hope it is what we were told. Sometimes it isnt. What do we do? Not buy it again. Those people are well aware that there may be systme failures...yet they opted to "take their chances"....it was their choice.

I dont see why government needs to fix anything.

Like I said.....what is next....look at this scenario...

You go to a website of a resort....they show sunny skies, beaches with sunbathers.....golf...tennis.....palm trees....birds chirping.....

Nowhere do yoiu see dark clouds and downpours.

So what happens when it rains for the 4 days you are there.

Afterall, nowhere do they talk about the possibility of rain.

Should you get a refund?

Your last example is mother nature and not operational problems with the resort. That example is the dumbest thing ever said...and purposfully so

It was a perfect example. You just didnt like it becuase you had no response to it. Act of nature or not is irrelevant. If you are not happy about the fact that the resort offers no entertainment for rainy days, you dont go back.

Whatever works for you.

So now you want regulations on meals? You dont like the food, you should be allowed to leave without paying? Wow...thats a new one.

And you criticized ME for using an analogy that was not applicable?

This is about also about safety.

"Passengers on cruise ships be allowed to leave after a certain time if the impairment to the ship can’t be repaired in a reasonable amount of time.

Passengers should have access to well-trained medical personnel during an emergency and that there be an adequate number of medical personnel aboard to deal with the emergency.

Passengers should have a crew well-trained to handle a number of emergencies, including evacuations from the cruise ship.

Every cruise ship should have a backup generator in case of a power failure."

Senator wants ?Cruise Ship Bill of Rights? | News To Me with George Mathis

Passengers can not leave a cruise ship if there is no way to leave. When they can, such as when docked in St Maarten last week, they are allowed to leave.

Passengers DO have access to well trained medical personnel on a cruise ship

Passengers do have a well trained crew.

Every cruise ship does have a back up generator.

What Schumer wants is already offered. He knows that.

He is in his typical campaign mode. People, such as you, see him as "wanting to help the people"...when, in fact, he is insisting on what is already offered.

He just wants his name on a bill.

FYI....the free market?

Such is the reason all he "wants" is already offered.

I think you need to do some googling. There have been several reports that show that many of these cruise liners are not meeting many of those standards. That their medical staff don't have the proper working equipment or training, their crews aren't well trained to evacuate the ship if needed. Lots of things.

Sure...there are a few rogue cruise lines that are not good at what they do.

People should read the reviews before booking.

Why are they willing to shop around to save 10 cents on a gallon of gas....but when they dont find out about a 5K purchase, they deserve restitution for being naive?

Jarhead is being purposefully dense on this subject. He has no answer to bad service other than for the customer to go fuck themselves and the company keeps everything

So now he wants the department of State to get involved in enforcing US regulations on international cruise lines....caliming that if they want US passengers, they must adhere to US regulations....He wants to enact a "passenger bill of rights"...

Uh.....are those passengers forced to go on cruises? Are they not aware that something may happen?

Acts of God are one thing, but faulty service is another. No one's forced to buy a car either, but we enforce safety regulations. Being able to sue after the fact, just isn't good enough. You can never get the wasted time back and, if the worst happens, nothing can ever compensate for that.

This is the same mentality that existed around the turn of the last century except, especially in food production, standards decrease with less regulation. Hell half of Europe is eating horsemeat passed off as beef and you want less govenment intrusion?

Jarhead is being purposefully dense on this subject. He has no answer to bad service other than for the customer to go fuck themselves and the company keeps everything

Wrong. Irresponsible attack on my motives. Childsih. Take youir simple "definitions" of my words and use them on someone else.

The free market corrects it all. If, in fact, Carnival does the worng thing as it pertains to resitution, they will lose a large share of the marketplace due to the negative publicity.

It is that basic and that simple.

The last cruise they gave was cut short by several days, skipped two destinations had ppl stranded for 3 days and what did Carnival do to fix it. Gave them a $100 bill and a handshake.

Fix it?

If, in fact, someone does not like the way they treated their passengers, then that person should not use their service.

You go to a website of a resort....they show sunny skies, beaches with sunbathers.....golf...tennis.....palm trees....birds chirping.....

Should you get a refund?

So if 100 people get sick from salmonella at a resteraunt and 15 people die, your solution is to not go back to that resteraunt and let the free market sort it out.:eek: What if the outbreak is from a specific brand of lettuce that is sold nationally, who is going to do the testing to determine the cause of the outbreak? Man, you people are dense sometimes.

Your entire scenario is a restaurant in the United States. A more pertinent comparison would be a restaurant in the Phillipines or in India or some other country. The United States has no control over the operations of the whole world. The United States can have a list of places to avoid, and a list of cruise ship lines to avoid, but cannot control what kind of lettuce they use.

So now he wants the department of State to get involved in enforcing US regulations on international cruise lines....caliming that if they want US passengers, they must adhere to US regulations....He wants to enact a "passenger bill of rights"...

Uh.....are those passengers forced to go on cruises? Are they not aware that something may happen?

Acts of God are one thing, but faulty service is another. No one's forced to buy a car either, but we enforce safety regulations. Being able to sue after the fact, just isn't good enough. You can never get the wasted time back and, if the worst happens, nothing can ever compensate for that.

Faulty service?

Should there be government reguations offering you a mandatory refund for your meal if the waiter or food is sub par?

Sure....a smaller, less relevant issue....but the crux is the same.

Where do we draw the line? Regulate services for what....$1000 or more?
$2000 or more? $500 or more?

Fix it?

Should you get a refund?

So if 100 people get sick from salmonella at a resteraunt and 15 people die, your solution is to not go back to that resteraunt and let the free market sort it out.:eek: What if the outbreak is from a specific brand of lettuce that is sold nationally, who is going to do the testing to determine the cause of the outbreak? Man, you people are dense sometimes.

Your entire scenario is a restaurant in the United States. A more pertinent comparison would be a restaurant in the Phillipines or in India or some other country. The United States has no control over the operations of the whole world. The United States can have a list of places to avoid, and a list of cruise ship lines to avoid, but cannot control what kind of lettuce they use.

No one is suggesting we should.

We require American curise lines to adopt this starnard, and then we ask that other countries adopt the same bill. Most will follow suit once we ask it, because we're the USA and our standards are gold, and those that don't, coustomers will at least now be on notice that those cruise liners may be unsafe.

Fix it?

Should you get a refund?

what are you talking about?

Nowhere did I say anything about health issues. Regulations on the food industry are not a left and right thing. We all agree they are necessary for health purposes. Not the amount of food....not the type of food....but if you serve food for human consumption, must be safe to eat.

IU am talking about buyers remorse. When people fly, they know they may be stuck on the tarmac...delayed....even cancelled. They also know the plane may suffer a catastrophic failure.......they opt to fly. Thier choice.

Same as a cruise ship. It may rain. Hevy surf.....catastrophic failure.....

It is ones choice to take the chance.

You can't argue with someone who honestly thinks "the free market corrects it all". It's a baffling stance, and one that has been proven wrong over and over in history.

No it has not been proven over and over.

That is an immature "fall back" line.

Debate like an adult. Dont fall back on rhetoric.

Tell me where the free market would not correct something?

Fix it?

Should you get a refund?

Nowhere did I say anything about health issues. Regulations on the food industry are not a left and right thing. We all agree they are necessary for health purposes. Not the amount of food....not the type of food....but if you serve food for human consumption, must be safe to eat.

IU am talking about buyers remorse. When people fly, they know they may be stuck on the tarmac...delayed....even cancelled. They also know the plane may suffer a catastrophic failure.......they opt to fly. Thier choice.

Overflowing toilets on a ship at sea is not a health hazard?

I will take Cholera for $500 Alex.:cool:

Last edited:

No one is suggesting we should.

We require American curise lines to adopt this starnard, and then we ask that other countries adopt the same bill. Most will follow suit once we ask it, because we're the USA and our standards are gold, and those that don't, coustomers will at least now be on notice that those cruise liners may be unsafe.

You mean they have no idea how to know that now?

But you said "google" it....it will show me what cruise lines dont have sufficient staff be it medical or nautical crew.

Oh.....thats right....that was just for THAT argument and cant be applied anywhere else.

I am debating children.

Overflowing toilets on a ship at sea is not a health hazard?

I will take Cholera for $500 Alex.:cool:

And exactly how does one prevent unexpected catastrophic failure?
Exactly what did the crew do wrong as it pertained to dealing with the issue?
What regulations would have prevented it?
Shoving those folks overboard?

And I am cruious....how many suffered Cholera....ALex?

I think Jar believes that Acts of God and Corporate actions are one in the same

Wrong. Irresponsible attack on my motives. Childsih. Take youir simple "definitions" of my words and use them on someone else.

The free market corrects it all. If, in fact, Carnival does the worng thing as it pertains to resitution, they will lose a large share of the marketplace due to the negative publicity.

It is that basic and that simple.

And what about the Customers dumbass? They paid for a service they didnt get...What is your solution to that?

Forum List

Back