School giving Condoms to Middle School Students?

"School giving Condoms to Middle School Students"

And unsurprisingly, the social right's opposition to the policy is neither wise nor appropriate.
I am heartened by the fact that this thread didn't explode; indicates to me that a lot of parents are either talking to their kids themselves or that they agree it is a sensible solution to a big problem.

So you support kids having kids?
No, I support parents being informed what their child is doing. The school has no right to do it without the parents permission.

Kids go ahead and have sex without their parent's permission or knowledge. Better they do so safely.
Still doesn't give the school the right not to inform the parents.

Kids can walk in any store and buy condoms without their parents knowledge. Stores don't have to inform parents.
The San Francisco school department has been giving sex education and condoms to high school students who request it for awhile now. It is strictly confidential, between counselor/nurse and student and parents are not involved or notified.
Because about 10-15% of middle schoolers report being sexually active and because 5% become pregnant or contract STD's, the school district is considering expanding the sex education/birth control services to the middle schools.
Parents will not be notified.

SF Officials Consider Plan To Give Condoms To Middle School Students
https://www.sfdph.org/dph/files/reports/StudiesData/98ChildHealth/sexual.pdf
S.F. middle schools’ condom curriculum

I can see both sides on this one. It is a parent's job to have "the talk," but not all parents believe in sex education for their adolescents/preadolescents. Some parents believe that telling them about protection or birth control will "promote" promiscuity. Those kids make uneducated and risky choices sometimes followed by life changing consequences like pregnancy or HIV.
Then again, I would be upset if my son came home with condoms and brochures BEFORE we had the "talk."

Personally, I agree with schools providing birth control/sex education to students when they ask for it, because if they're asking for it, they obviously haven't got parents who have covered the topic at home. No parent wants their thirteen year old daughter coming home pregnant or their 13 year old son coming home with an STD. So why wait until a stranger tells them about responsibility? It's not sex education that causes sexual exploration during adolescence--it's hormones and the wholely natural wish to grow up.
If the school were obligated to tell the parents about such a visit to the nurse, the kids wouldn't come for help. But they would still be sexually active, imo. Just not safely.
Where do other parents stand?
One more big reason to pull your kids from the derainged California school systems.

So you support kids having kids?
No, I support parents being informed what their child is doing. The school has no right to do it without the parents permission.
Obviously, the kids who are seeking this kind of advice at school feel their parents wouldn't approve; therefore if the school had to advise the parents, the kids would not seek the assistance and you would still be left with a bunch of uneducated, unprotected middle schoolers having sex on the sneak.
Honestly, though? I find it troubling, too, that kids are having such tremendously important conversations with their schools rather than their families.
How would you react if the school called and told you your 13 year old daughter had just come in for condoms? Be honest.

Fortunately I knew my daughters and when they made their choice. My son had a condom in his wallet since we talked to him around 5th or 6th grade.
We spend years in the country so sex and birth were not strange to them.
Our children were five years apart so we spoke and included them from the beginning, and we didn't use cabbage patches or storks.

Children know, they should not be treated as stupid. When you are honest and open with them, they learn to be honest and open with you.

Males who carry condoms around in their wallets ignore how latex when kept too long in such a warm place (unless they carry their wallets in their poofter bags). That's why so many of them name their rfirstborn, Native American style - "Broken Rubber".

Forum List

Back