School giving Condoms to Middle School Students?

The San Francisco school department has been giving sex education and condoms to high school students who request it for awhile now. It is strictly confidential, between counselor/nurse and student and parents are not involved or notified.
Because about 10-15% of middle schoolers report being sexually active and because 5% become pregnant or contract STD's, the school district is considering expanding the sex education/birth control services to the middle schools.
Parents will not be notified.

SF Officials Consider Plan To Give Condoms To Middle School Students
https://www.sfdph.org/dph/files/reports/StudiesData/98ChildHealth/sexual.pdf
S.F. middle schools’ condom curriculum

I can see both sides on this one. It is a parent's job to have "the talk," but not all parents believe in sex education for their adolescents/preadolescents. Some parents believe that telling them about protection or birth control will "promote" promiscuity. Those kids make uneducated and risky choices sometimes followed by life changing consequences like pregnancy or HIV.
Then again, I would be upset if my son came home with condoms and brochures BEFORE we had the "talk."

Personally, I agree with schools providing birth control/sex education to students when they ask for it, because if they're asking for it, they obviously haven't got parents who have covered the topic at home. No parent wants their thirteen year old daughter coming home pregnant or their 13 year old son coming home with an STD. So why wait until a stranger tells them about responsibility? It's not sex education that causes sexual exploration during adolescence--it's hormones and the wholely natural wish to grow up.
If the school were obligated to tell the parents about such a visit to the nurse, the kids wouldn't come for help. But they would still be sexually active, imo. Just not safely.
Where do other parents stand?
One more big reason to pull your kids from the derainged California school systems.

So you support kids having kids?
No, I support parents being informed what their child is doing. The school has no right to do it without the parents permission.

Kids go ahead and have sex without their parent's permission or knowledge. Better they do so safely.
Still doesn't give the school the right not to inform the parents.

You don't understand, it's all part of the left's "children belong to society" they think they make the rules and decide what's best for children. Only a fool would allow left loons anywhere near their child, they'll either try to indoctrinate them.....or worse

One more big reason to pull your kids from the derainged California school systems.

No, I support parents being informed what their child is doing. The school has no right to do it without the parents permission.

Kids go ahead and have sex without their parent's permission or knowledge. Better they do so safely.

You don't understand, it's all part of the left's "children belong to society" they think they make the rules and decide what's best for children. Only a fool would allow left loons anywhere near their child, they'll either try to indoctrinate them.....or worse
A lot of fools on the left support stupidity like this in the schools.

SanFreakShow.....$15,000 in taxpayer money to build a public urination wall. Way to go you liberal loons, keep doing this garbage and then keep wondering why normal people laugh at your nonsense

SF Encourages Peeing in Public

San Francisco, CA--With the world’s attention focused on the Bay Area for this weekend’s Super Bowl, some visitors might find themselves confronting San Francisco’s latest incredulity: City-sponsored public urination.

Local residents have begun complaining to officials about what they’re seeing at the corner of Church and 20th Streets, adjacent to a public park and public transit station. Approximately $15,000 was reportedly spent to construct a small, semi-circular wall, about waist high with a hole in the cement, intended for public urination. The location includes no roof and no door, so those using the facility are clearly visible from the sidewalk, passing trains, the park and nearby multi-story housing.

See more at: Pacific Justice Institute

It is called going green and saving water

Does it Pay to Be Green? Waterless Urinals Mean the Answer is 'Yes'

Urinals are also being put on trees. Men have been peeing in public for thousands of years.
Indoor men's urinals smell even with the waste of water. Open air, nature takes care of it.

You are aware that California is in a water crisis.

I'd like to see more use of grey water and recycling of water in homes, and then used to water the gardens

Far too much water wasted.

The San Francisco school department has been giving sex education and condoms to high school students who request it for awhile now. It is strictly confidential, between counselor/nurse and student and parents are not involved or notified.
Because about 10-15% of middle schoolers report being sexually active and because 5% become pregnant or contract STD's, the school district is considering expanding the sex education/birth control services to the middle schools.

I can see both sides on this one. It is a parent's job to have "the talk," but not all parents believe in sex education for their adolescents/preadolescents. Some parents believe that telling them about protection or birth control will "promote" promiscuity. Those kids make uneducated and risky choices sometimes followed by life changing consequences like pregnancy or HIV.
Then again, I would be upset if my son came home with condoms and brochures BEFORE we had the "talk."

Personally, I agree with schools providing birth control/sex education to students when they ask for it, because if they're asking for it, they obviously haven't got parents who have covered the topic at home. No parent wants their thirteen year old daughter coming home pregnant or their 13 year old son coming home with an STD. So why wait until a stranger tells them about responsibility? It's not sex education that causes sexual exploration during adolescence--it's hormones and the wholely natural wish to grow up.
If the school were obligated to tell the parents about such a visit to the nurse, the kids wouldn't come for help. But they would still be sexually active, imo. Just not safely.

Kids can walk in any store and buy condoms without their parents knowledge. Stores don't have to inform parents.

Kids can walk in any store and buy condoms without their parents knowledge. Stores don't have to inform parents.
The stores are not supported by the parents taxes. Try again, that hollow argument failed.

Well, they won't be spreading the Zika around like down in Texas

The stores are not supported by the parents taxes. Try again, that hollow argument failed.

Schools are protecting the children and their health rather then let them have unsafe sex. They are educating the children on being safe. Saving children from having children or catching/spreading some disease.
Parent that don't protect their children from unsafe sex should not be parents. Parents can teach abstinence, but if children are going to have sex anyway, they should be informed and protected. Children should be able to speak to their parents, not just be judged or punished, or ignored.
Parents that don't talk about safe sex are poor parents. Sex education should begin young and often.

Talk about drinking and drugs should also begin with parents but also in school health classes. Manners and good behavior needs to be part of life and socializing in school. Speaking properly, communicating clearly, go hand in hand with reading and writing.

Schools are protecting the children and their health rather then let them have unsafe sex. They are educating the children on being safe. Saving children from having children or catching/spreading some disease.
Parent that don't protect their children from unsafe sex should not be parents. Parents can teach abstinence, but if children are going to have sex anyway, they should be informed and protected. Children should be able to speak to their parents, not just be judged or punished, or ignored.
Parents that don't talk about safe sex are poor parents. Sex education should begin young and often.

Talk about drinking and drugs should also begin with parents but also in school health classes. Manners and good behavior needs to be part of life and socializing in school. Speaking properly, communicating clearly, go hand in hand with reading and writing.
Not saying you're wrong. Just saying the school doesn't have the right not to inform the parents.

SanFreakShow.....$15,000 in taxpayer money to build a public urination wall. Way to go you liberal loons, keep doing this garbage and then keep wondering why normal people laugh at your nonsense

San Francisco, CA--With the world’s attention focused on the Bay Area for this weekend’s Super Bowl, some visitors might find themselves confronting San Francisco’s latest incredulity: City-sponsored public urination.

Local residents have begun complaining to officials about what they’re seeing at the corner of Church and 20th Streets, adjacent to a public park and public transit station. Approximately $15,000 was reportedly spent to construct a small, semi-circular wall, about waist high with a hole in the cement, intended for public urination. The location includes no roof and no door, so those using the facility are clearly visible from the sidewalk, passing trains, the park and nearby multi-story housing.

Urinals are also being put on trees. Men have been peeing in public for thousands of years.
Indoor men's urinals smell even with the waste of water. Open air, nature takes care of it.

I'd like to see more use of grey water and recycling of water in homes, and then used to water the gardens

You have a really stupid response for everything, eh? Nobody wants to see people taking a whiz, good grief

You have a really stupid response for everything, eh? Nobody wants to see people taking a whiz, good grief

It is a factual response.

That is the situation in Calif. now.

Open air urinals keep people from peeing on buildings and lamp posts. Open air urinals also cannot be used for homeless sleeping or drug dens.

San Francisco already tried special paint that sprays the pee back on the person and it didn't work.

This saves more than a gallon a flush for the city. Water saving programs from toilets with sinks over the tank to wash hands and that water then flushes the toilet to toilets that require a fraction of the normal water to flush. Homes are told to not flush when you pee to save water. Outdoor watering and car washing is banned most days. Homes that use too much water are fined. Many homes are being retro fit to reuse water to flush and use sink and laundry water outside.

Many homes are encouraged not fill pools and spas. Plants are being towered so the top pot waters each down below.

Waste not want not.....well calif. is past that point. Lakes and reservoirs are running dry and there is not enough water for fighting fires.

My friend's step-son was maybe 12 when my friend found a condom in his pockets.

My friend asked his step-son why he was carrying a condom.

The boy said, at school they told us if we didn't carry these around, we would get a veneral disease.

Pissing in public isn't part of the Democratic platform, I don't believe.

Obviously, the kids who are seeking this kind of advice at school feel their parents wouldn't approve; therefore if the school had to advise the parents, the kids would not seek the assistance and you would still be left with a bunch of uneducated, unprotected middle schoolers having sex on the sneak.
Honestly, though? I find it troubling, too, that kids are having such tremendously important conversations with their schools rather than their families.
How would you react if the school called and told you your 13 year old daughter had just come in for condoms? Be honest.

It is a factual response.

That is the situation in Calif. now.

Open air urinals keep people from peeing on buildings and lamp posts. Open air urinals also cannot be used for homeless sleeping or drug dens.

San Francisco already tried special paint that sprays the pee back on the person and it didn't work.

This saves more than a gallon a flush for the city. Water saving programs from toilets with sinks over the tank to wash hands and that water then flushes the toilet to toilets that require a fraction of the normal water to flush. Homes are told to not flush when you pee to save water. Outdoor watering and car washing is banned most days. Homes that use too much water are fined. Many homes are being retro fit to reuse water to flush and use sink and laundry water outside.

Many homes are encouraged not fill pools and spas. Plants are being towered so the top pot waters each down below.

Waste not want not.....well calif. is past that point. Lakes and reservoirs are running dry and there is not enough water for fighting fires.
Everything you said makes sense, but couldn't they have built a better privacy screen?

Obviously, the kids who are seeking this kind of advice at school feel their parents wouldn't approve; therefore if the school had to advise the parents, the kids would not seek the assistance and you would still be left with a bunch of uneducated, unprotected middle schoolers having sex on the sneak.
Honestly, though? I find it troubling, too, that kids are having such tremendously important conversations with their schools rather than their families.
How would you react if the school called and told you your 13 year old daughter had just come in for condoms? Be honest.

If a parent has a good relationship with their child they wouldn't need to be going to a school for this. Schools should be in business to teach the 3 R's, leave the other nonsense out of it.

If a parent has a good relationship with their child they wouldn't need to be going to a school for this. Schools should be in business to teach the 3 R's, leave the other nonsense out of it.
I 100% agree it should be done by parents. Why are so many parents apparently not doing it? You and I wouldn't know, since we talk to our kids. One thing I would do, if I was the counselor or school nurse counseling a middle schooler about safe sex, is strongly encourage those kids to go home and try having a talk with their parents.
We don't need to worry about our kids, but kids having kids is not a figment of our imagination, and we end up paying for it in the long run.

Forum List

Back